Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Jim,
I hate to feel like I've been getting slammed over the whole incident because I related what the Redline representative told me this same thing in an email before and when I was questioned about it it was based on the proof provided by the first sample.
Now your other source has pointed this out as well.

Oils are just hydrocarbon chains made up of different lengths in a very simple sense. When you look at simple hydrocarbons as an example, it follows that all oils are very similar. Obviously modern oils have much more stuff to them but here is how it works:

oils have maybe15-20 carbon atoms, solvents have much less, like octane for example is C8H18
An oil might be C20H42.
If you keep adding carbon atoms they become waxy. A wax might have 30 carbon or more.
So in the simple sense all base oils are very similar.
They have some proprietary things done to them but basically they are hydrocarbon chains.
The difference between a 5 wt oil and a 90wt is going to be in the base oil hydrocarbon chain and the additives or treatments.

So I'm saying this to point out that using a "motor oil" over an ATF isn't a step back at all based on the base oils. It is just a different spec. When you compare engine oil to atf, besides color what do you notice? It is usually a bit slimy/slipperier. We know that it has good cold weather lube properties and we know it has good additivies for wear protection. I mean it protects items like cams and lifters for hundreds of thousands of miles and protects against the cold start pressures in the bearings as well.
ATF is designed for automatic in that it protects the valve body from sludge buildup and of course lubes everything.
Hell, use mobile 1 synthetic oil that specs out to your 75w90 gear oil.

In the end I also have to point out that Redline is similarly formulated. You may find that Redline MTL is closer to Ford Honey than ATF ever was, yet both were recommended fluids.
I honestly don't think the two transmission we saw are a fair indication of the detergent capabilities of redline either. One was old and abused and the other had an ATB that produced plenty of material wear that needed to be flushed better during break-in.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Originally posted by warmonger:

I honestly don't think the two transmission we saw are a fair indication of the detergent capabilities of redline either. One was old and abused and the other had an ATB that produced plenty of material wear that needed to be flushed better during break-in.

The only 'flush' that would remove the 'black' from the silver diff. and all the other parts will be a dunk tank. Flushing does not clean the magnet and I doubt running Pete's trans in straight gasoline would clean off the black either! I have another trans from Jeff Turner, he bought it with a quaife fitted from Paxton, the trans has zero black in it...guess they must have flushed it with kerosene eh!...and a 'clean' magnet. Nowhere have I ever read, even after asking Quaife, that an ATB diff will 'shed metal' during break in. And if a Torsen sheds steel in breakin then Torsen has an issue!!!!

Keep defending MTL.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
These pictures brought to you by...... some dude's cell phone.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Warmonger,

My basis for saying it is a step back is if there is not a satisfactory level of the proper additives to function in a gear box.

ATF is at least somewhat of a gear oil. There are gears in an automatic transmission, although of a somewhat different style. ATF does have additives not only to help keep things clean, but also to help handle the loads that gears generate.

My sources comments were that Ford Honey is very similar to SM motor oil in terms of AW (anti wear) elements. It did have some friction modifier but not much. The viscosity is 14.9 cSt@100C (which is in the range of most 75W90 gear oils or 10W40 enginge oils). Most other manual trans gear oils have a much higher EP additive level. His final comment is that it looks like 40 weight SM engine oil with very little EP adds and most likely has a GL4 EP protection rating.

I absolutely agree that they information that was gathered on the "everlasting" thread was anything but scientific. I agree that on the face of things it looks like Red Line MTL should have worked, but we have seen some cases where it looks very suspecious. In thoses cases, it certainly wasn't very clean. It would have really helped if there would have been a used oil analysis performed on the fluid that came out of one of those failed transmissions. Until we have better information from Red Line, I'm staying away from it. I have a hard time believing there is a reasonable answer for the sludge found after 14,000 miles with discolored gears. Something is very wrong there. I can't blame the Torsen because the other Redline MTL sludge complaints were with open diffs.

However, I don't believe that Ford Honey is the only good answer either, even though it works well for me (with a moderate dose of added friction modifier). I will most assuredly be looking for alternatives when I change it next time.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I absolutely agree that they information that was gathered on the "everlasting" thread was anything but scientific.

What?! WTH is a lab report from Blackstone
if not scientific? That was the whole reason to have a lab report done. Everyone needed to see there was a visable mismatch between additives. The sulphur and solids between honey and MTL takes the TH, Pete & I out of the opinion equation. Look at the numbers, not what we say! Since when was Blacksone labs NOT scientific?!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I absolutely agree that they information that was gathered on the "everlasting" thread was anything but scientific.

What?! WTH is a lab report from Blackstone
if not scientific? That was the whole reason to have a lab report done. Everyone needed to see there was a visable mismatch between additives. The sulphur and solids between honey and MTL takes the TH, Pete & I out of the opinion equation. Look at the numbers, not what we say! Since when was Blacksone labs NOT scientific?!

What was needed was the used oil analysis from one of the failed transmissions or at least from Pete's trans. Virgin oil analysis showing that they were different really didn't tell us much as to why Red Line MTL failed. What was done is like throwing a rod on a new Corvette that was running Amsoil and then running a test of virgin Amsoil against Mobil 1 (the factory fill) and saying they didn't match so it must be Amsoil's fault.

We have been over this before. Perhaps we should just agree to disagree and move on.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Are we also not taking into consideration that MTL could have had a bad batch? Or that by slight human error, Pete could have put a different Redline product in? I too would have liked to have seen the fluid from Pete's trans be sent to Blackstone, but it's not possible now. That could have atleast told us what the sludge was composed of.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Pete's car ran nothing but MTL after the rebuild! What more do you want? I quit.

T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Pete could have put a different Redline product in?

R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Pete could have put a different Redline product in?

He could have put water wetter in it....

Ryan Trollin!
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard