Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Great I just swapped my Redline to RP synchromax yesterday. I didnt notice a huge difference so Im guessing its internal. This will be a banaid until the first of the year when I will be able to pull it and ship it to Terry. Thanks for all the research everyone.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Ready for another one? Take a look at Torco. Look at both of the products to the right on this link.

http://www.torcoracingoils.com/products/product_list.asp?intProductsClassIDPK=9&intProductsTypeIDPK=8&intCurrentMarket=9

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Also take a look at Specialty Formulations. Look the the top four products on this link.

http://specialtyformulations.com/

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I would not be surprised that Royal Purple is gun shy from the publicity created by the Red Line MTL failure in the MTX-75.

Red Line must have had a formulation problem or perhaps a batch problem. Darn near anything between Mercon ATF and manual trans 75W90 gear oil should work fine.

We are not getting reports of failures using the Mercon factory fill. We are not getting reports of failure using ATF+3. We are not getting failure reports with either GM or Penzoil manual trans lubes. Only some that have use Red Line MTL.

And now Royal Purple and Amsoil are saying to use synthetic engine oil?

W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
The Torco sythetic is great stuff. As I stated when defending myself for using sythetic gear oils earlier, I ran torco synthetic the longest and I put it in when I first began running my 3L. When I switched to MTL it was darn near two years.
When I opened up the transmission the fluid still looked and smelled like it did new with the addition of some basic wear items.
The thing that is amazing is I was running serious torque from nitrous to 3L and even some time with the turbo and the stock diff is still in perfect shape. I beat up on it pretty bad with high torque loads and well... you can see the picture.

I also never had a shift issue with it either although I don't live up north so I can't compare really cold weather shifts.
I ought to stop screwing around on the next fill and just go back to what I know works because of how long I used it and the photographic proof. Besides, it meets or exceeds GL4 specs.
Still, last time it ran me $11 a quart from BAT. Maybe I can find it cheaper now.

OH, BTW. I see what you are saying about people suddenly changing the listing of their specs on their websites but I have a hard time believing that it would be just over our experiences here in our website. Granted, with as many hits a person will get from our site now searching for redline MTL, it is going to crop up a lot but I can't imagine it affecting the other companies.
I also am inclined to say that a bad batch of fluid is still kind of a long shot because just as you said earlier....you could run anything form ATF up to the spec'd gear oils and it wouldn't hurt anything. If it was a bad batch, someone had to drop something seriously different into the mix that day Either way, I think it is just a combination of thicker fluid, lots of metal particles from wear, and non-existent or inadequate/ineffective flushing of the particles formed during break-in.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I just bought 3 jugs of the Sychromax from Nima. I guess now that I will wait to put it in......

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Originally posted by warmonger:
Either way, I think it is just a combination of thicker fluid, lots of metal particles from wear, and non-existent or inadequate/ineffective flushing of the particles formed during break-in.

You won't flush all that is steel/ferrous based. The magnet is fixed in the case. You going to stick a pressure washer in there?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:

We are not getting reports of failures using the Mercon factory fill. We are not getting reports of failure using ATF+3. We are not getting failure reports with either GM or Penzoil manual trans lubes. Only some that have use Red Line MTL.

And now Royal Purple and Amsoil are saying to use synthetic engine oil?

Warmonger seems to think so. He says "how many failures on MTL opposed to ATF? A couple on MTL." I'm not sure where this info comes from. I haven't heard of too many (if any) failures on ATF. Their were some from ppl drag racing the transissions but what do you expect? The recent crop up were from wear. Blackbird was running MTL and being hard on it. Double wammy.

The thing that is amazing is I was running serious torque from nitrous to 3L and even some time with the turbo and the stock diff is still in perfect shape. I beat up on it pretty bad with high torque loads and well... you can see the picture.

If your torque was so high the 'shrunk on' gears on the output and input shaft would spin first before any added load on the diff pinion gears. I'm not comprehending what your statement has to do with fluids.

Actually, that is what the guy at redline was stating...he said that the Honey actually looked like a motor oil spec'd for a transmission. He said that it shared some similarities to the MTL in that the base stocks were still used in synthetic motor oils. Obviously I'm not saying they are the same or have the same additives! I'm just reiterating what he had said.

Go figure.

OK it "looked like" motor oil. What does that prove? Oil looks like oil. Practice what you preach Tom. Use some logic and get some DATA before stating things of this nature.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
I have no life
OP Offline
I have no life
T
Todd
The website was updated and should read Synchromax or RP 10w40/ Racing 41. We are giving you an option.

Apparently the person doing the update did not understand and removed Synchromax as the recommended fluid.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Phew!

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard