Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
rouar Online Content OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Online Content
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The Contour is nearing the end of its useful life to me. It works now, but I've already paid many thousands in repairs and there are more "quirks" that are slowly developing into serious problems now (e.g., tranny clunks, and a loud grinding whine if the car plays in the rain). I was hoping to keep the car through this academic year and once settled into a decent job post graduation buy myself a brand new car, but that's not looking likely to happen. My parents have offered an early graduation present and help out with a newish vehicle, and I'm strongly considering it. I commute to campus, on top of everything, so I absolutely can't have my car in the shop for weeks at a time anymore while they try and figure out what's wrong.

I love almost everything about my Contour, so a used Mazda6 is a very strong consideration (my top choice) due to its similarities and good looks. Mazda3 is second choice, although both are on the upper end of this budget even used. My parents are pushing Subaru AWD hard and I rather like driving my dad's first-generation Forester (assuming the five-speed would be any quicker than the auto). My mom's 2002 Legacy has uncomfortable seats and is very slow with the auto, but otherwise a decent vehicle; handling is almost on par with my car. I've been looking at almost anything that offers a manual - even older Accords, Camrys, Corollas, Elantras, etc. Haven't driven anything yet.

Must have a standard transmission, four doors (or five with hatch), power locks and windows, and decent winter handling. Can't be a Ford or Mercury (other FoMoCo byproducts are okay, such as Mazda or Volvo). I'd really like leather and/or a sunroof but they'e not absolutely necessary. Above all, must be decently reliable, or have a good warranty.

So .. what daily driver would you buy with that rough budget and those constraints?

S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
I would fly to eastern Europe and pay to be flown around for 20 minutes in a MIG jet fighter!

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
You can look for a used Maxima. Nice cars, with good reliability.

2000 CSVT Silver Frost: #942 of 2150 HID Projectors and Fog Light Mod, Optomized TB, MSDS headers 2003 Silverstone Z
S
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
S
sounds like what i was looking for when i was shopping and found my csvt.

2000 accord
Integra LS 4door (GS if you can find one cheap w/ less than 500k miles)
Altima or Maxima (both ugly IMO)
E36 BMW 3 series
Jetta
Passat
A4

really though, if youre looking for fully loaded used car that will absolutely stay trouble free with the minimal amount of work, you cant beat Japanese.

Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Sometimes you can mess up a word so bad that spell check doens't know what the hell you're talking about.

K
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
K
Why not a 5 door FSVT, seems like the natrual way to go IMO The Scooby is nice, but can they be had for that price though

"THEE" Roger R USMondeo@aol.com 2005 Crossfire Limited coupe' -FOR SALE @buyout price & I'll... -throw in my 93' Regal as winter car *Dragon Run 06'...Oct 12-15th* Puur-fection Auto Detailing Complete packages from $140.00
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by 98 SE:
.. so a used Mazda6 is a very strong consideration (my top choice) due to its similarities and good looks. ..
So .. what daily driver would you buy with that rough budget and those constraints?

Your first choice. Mazda 626. Enjoy.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
Infiniti G20
Subaru 2.5RS
Volvo S70 t5

The 2.5L boxer engine is pretty much a dog in anything besides the impreza/2.5RS. I drove a 2003 2.5TS towards the end of the summer and with the stick shift it moved well enough.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
You could get a nice '03 Corolla LE for that amount of cash. I have a '05 LE and I like it. Though it might be hard to find a stick Corolla with any feature content, as most of the sticks are CE models. A Civic would be the same story, unless you could find a stick shift EX. A Mazda 3 is an excellent choice also, I'm driving one right now, and I like it alot. You might be able to get a 3i with the power stuff and a manual in your price range.

I would skip the older Camry or Accord if you're looking for anything the least bit fun. First off, they didn't make a manual 4 door Camry from '01 to '03 or'04. Secondly, Accords and Camrys aren't fun to drive. They are more like appliances. My Mom has a '05 Camry, and it is a nice comfortable car, but it lacks the personality of a Mazda or Nissan.

Speaking of Nissan, you might want to look for a Sentra SE-R. That would be one sporty 4 door car that it might not be very hard to find as a stick. You might also want to check out a used Impreza if your going to get a Subaru.

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
How many miles are you willing to accept?

How about this? 99 Maxima SE 5-speed, 90k miles, $8500/obo

Early E46 BMW with higher miles was my choice - I paid under $13k for mine with 99,964 miles but a full maintenance history and recent suspension. I've put a few hundred into it for maintenance but nothing that wouldn't go into any car - fluid changes, a suspension bushing, etc. You'll have to look to find the right one but damn fine car.

Acura TL 3.2 (auto only though)

Have fun!

Scott

Troll! '99 BMW 328i
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
You will find a V6 Mazda 6 with 5 speed here in this group of machines:

link

I like it except it's silver ..

They go for a bit of $$ still.

Last edited by frenchblueC2; 10/27/05 12:28 PM.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard