Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
He is right nice Notchbacks are a bit pricey, you can find LX hatcbacks all day in the $4-6 range. I just passed up on one with mint interior and just a few dings for $4k, slightly modded.

Its funny how the Fox bodies have leveled in price and are not going to go any were but up once more of the nicer ones are harder to find. I think its also funny with most Fox bodies being 20+ years old, you still never find one that has more than 130k miles in it, or so it says . I will probaly pick up a Notch myself in the next year or two.

'99 Silver svt For sale 19" Axis Neo wheels 3.0 parts, pre-98 trunk, Check classifieds bp.powell@comcast.net
Z
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
Z
All I have to say is damn I wish I had enough money to buy a second car to play with.

This might help you.

The big questions you need to ask yourself:
1. You really better not have any debt you can pay off first. lol Don't blow money if you're in the hole already.
2. How finacially secure are you? It never hurts to have extra cash. You never know when you'll need it. Also the stang will eat alot more gas then the tour.
3. How much money do you have for parts to add onto the car? Stang performance parts are cheaper, and easier to find. Contour is the oppisite.
okay no more money questions...
4. What is the main purpose of the car? Is it a backup vehicle or a play toy?
5. How bad are winters where you are. Mustang + snow = bad, Contour + snow = better chance then stang. This plays more if it is a backup car.
6. What do you like more in driving, Drag racing and high speeds, or taking tight turns with speeds that almost pop your ass out of the seat? (not saying you can't do it in a stang, but tour does it a little nicer i would think)
7. ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE STANGS, not as many mod contours. So if you going for a more unique play toy, the tour is a little more of a shock to people. (how many people can say they have a 3L convert turbo charged tours? a handful)

Hopefully that will help you decide.

1998 SE Duratec V6 ATX Ebay intake with K&N Filter Trubendz Exhaust Custom Hood
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Wish I knew you were interested about 6 months ago. My buddy sold his 92 LX coupe(notch) for $8500.00. Black, 85k miles, heads, cam, Vortech blower, 400rwhp, tuned by Paul's Performance in Cincinnati, 17x9 chrome Cobra R's. That thing was a monster! It could have used some sort of drag suspension, as it had ZERO traction in first and second gear. Third gear though, BYE BYE!

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
WHat's up. My roomate has a 95 GT conv, last of the 5.0's. I've got a 99 CSVT. Love driving both of them, but I prefer the Tour. The Mustang's wider tires make her a little darty on PA roads. My roomate can drive her car better than I can, prob. since she is used to how it handles. She is afraid to rev mine to redline, not being used to 4V per cylinder. Definately different rides, and moters. Mustang's torque still makes me giggle, but I prefer the Contour SVT for it's room, ride, and rarity. Just my .02
Scott

Scott Mabe I WILL be Phil. 1999 Contour SVT, Tropic Green BAT kit, K&N RU-3530+MAF, Magnecore 8.5mm, some audio goodies, Hightowers, Knauberized, tatoo by Parkedcar.
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by Stazi:
Originally posted by MadMerc97:
Better traction, resale value. my 2 cents...

You're on crack!
You're two cents are worth squat!

How am I on crack? GTs depreciate so quickly here in Texas it isn't even funny. you can pick up a 98' GT for like 5K, whereas an average SVT(much rarer around here) will go for like 7K. It all depends on supply and demand. And as for traction, you just try taking a GT on a dirt road or Ice and see what happens when you gun it through a corner. A contour is just more stable, simply because it's FWD. The older GT and V6 mustangs aren't exactly known for their handling prowess, unlike the Cobra. Now in a straight line on tarmac, the GT will get better traction, duh. Please don't get me involved in ANOTHER flame war just because you don't like my opinion and view of the situation relative to my location. I'm not saying that what is true where I live holds solid everywhere else. Just here.

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
well i am pretty sure when stazi was referring to "traction" i'm pretty sure he meant it in general,not on a dirt road in texas ....and you are on crack if you think that any fwd car has better traction than a rwd car,and that's a simple fact....and a comparable year mustang will have better traction "in general" than a contour....while yes maybe the fwd is better on ice...but your dirt road example is ridiculous,actually the rwd would probably be easier to get back in control of if it did start sliding on a dirt road..

and as far as resale value goes,have you seen some of the prices svt's are going for these days????there is one in the paper at a dealer here a 98 with the dealer asking price of $4800,a comparable 98 gt lists for $7800....now compare a 99 or 00 gt to a 99 or 00 svt and the mustang will still be priced considerably higher in most cases...

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
E
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
E
It all depends on where you find the car. Someplaces have good prices on car, other don't. I can go threw autotrader and find dealers asking waaaaay to much for a CSVT and another dealer is going to be going dirt cheap on a mustang GT. It depends on where you live, the actual car itself, and the dealer.

95 SE MTX svt exhaust intake deer killer
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
Originally posted by elraido:
It all depends on where you find the car. Someplaces have good prices on car, other don't. I can go threw autotrader and find dealers asking waaaaay to much for a CSVT and another dealer is going to be going dirt cheap on a mustang GT. It depends on where you live, the actual car itself, and the dealer.

That's what I said, and say over and over and over again.

And Chris, I don't understand your logic. Why would a somewhat-powerful RWD car do better in the dirt than a modestly underpowered FWD car? In a RWD car, if you start sliding in the dirt, the LAST thing you want to do is have the rear end lose traction. In a FWD car, you can e-brake through the corner, then use your front wheels to pull you back in the direction you want to go. You CAN'T do that in a Mustang GT. On the stang, once the rear end has lost it(ala drifting) on loose dirt and gravel, you are as good as crashed. That is the reason why you don't see RWD only rally cars anymore. Try driving FAST down a gravel and dirt road in a GT and a Contour and THEN tell me which is better. As for pavement. YES (as I've said before) the GT has better traction. It's a sporty coupe, of course it's going to be made to stick better on pavement. That is where a Mustang belongs anyway...

J.T. 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 294ci V8. Custom CAI, headers on the way... 1997 Mercury Mystique Zetec ATX Deceased February 2006
R
"Absolut Rara."
"Absolut Rara."
R
Will people STOP saying that FWD is better than RWD in low traction situations? Such as ice, snow, and gravel.

IT IS NOT BETTER, IT IS JUST DIFFERENT. FWD is more intuitive for people that don't understand the way cars work, because you can just steer where you want to go; this is why people that are ill-informed and ignorant think they are "better". RWD just requires a bit more practice and thought to drive in low traction situations.

and MadMerc, the reason you don't see RWD cars in the top of rally anymore is because AWD is legal, duh. In the lower classes of rallying, rwd cars are very common, including mustangs.

Balance is the Key. rarasvt@comcast.net
H
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
H
okay. I know that RWD vehicles are really good for maneuvering and stuff. But you discount FWD too much. It isn't that bad if you know how to take advantage of your drivetrain configuration. What class of rallying does the GT compete in anyway?

Last edited by MadMerc97; 10/28/05 08:50 PM.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard