Originally posted by stilov:
but if it were installed in the same plave an internal wastegate flapper was ...it could still be after the turbo. Does that make sense? It would just be a flapper that is a little further back b/c technically the hole that it looked like it was coming out of still is beforethe turbine.

check out pics here

You see...I think I am right...the wastegate would work correctly...no not ideal, but no worse off than an internal wastegate

There is a flaw in your thinking:

In an internal wastegate setup, the flap valve is connected to the diaphram with a connecting rod. The diaphram opens and the connecting rod moves, thus opening the flap valve. The flap valve seperates the "hot" side of the turbo to the downpipe oriface (forge the technical name). When the valve is open, the hot exhaust gasses bypass the turbine wheel, thus controlling boost.

I don't know what is behind that plate, but if it is the flap valve, do you really think that opening the external wastegate would allow the flap valve on the internal gate to open? I don't know, but why not simply use an internally gated design at that point? Not to mention, the downstream side of the wastegate vents to the air filter ... that's right ... it has no tubing and is completely open to under the hood. The more I think about it, the more I am dumbfounded by the design. I will definitely be getting the car in the garage this weekend and begin teardown and will document everything fully.

Also, those with turbo systems, where did you tap for your oil feed to the turbo?

As for the tubing routing, the part that I'm not pleased with is the routing of the IC piping between the IC outlet and the TB. Easily fixable. Like I said, I will shake down the bugs when I go to design the system for the Cougar. The Contour will be running right when I am done ... I glad to know that if I need the help, you guys are here!

And Tom ... STOP RUBBING IT IN! I wanted to buy the Tour when you had it for sale, but didn't have the money until this past July.