Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#1406959 10/11/05 07:25 PM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by unisys12:
Originally posted by JohnnyBravo:
I kinda grew out of that phase pretty quick though as I discovered I couldn't keep up with those guys.

I know that feeling all too well!

First time I went "back to basics" was a month or so after MegaDeth's "Countdown To Extinction" came out. I had listened to Cacaphonys album, with Marty on it, so I knew where the album would be going. I had a friend, that I jammed with alot, and he could play every song on the album. I tried and tried... Lord knows I did, but I just couldn't. For several months, during this time, I would easily play almost 10 hours a day. Not to mention high school and the whole girlfriend thing. Needless to say I failed that year of school and we all know the GF story. So I went back to playing more classic rock stuff and getting my technique more in check.

After awhile, I started picking up things that I didn't learn before. Things like EVH type stuff and whatnot. That soon lead me to Steve Vai, which took me back to Joe Satriani. I was kicking along just fine, even got really heavy into Pantera (which I still am). And then I heard Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under". That song energized me and my playing so much!! But I couldn't anything else from the album, or figure it out anyway. I worked and worked, but couldn't get it. I had plenty of time to work on it too, because the band I was in, at the time, had broken up just before I heard DT. It all really worked out, as far as timing went. But I simply regressed back to simpiler things, to gain the technique that I missed before.

But this time was different... Because I got really heavy into Stevie Ray! This is when I sold everything I had except my HM Strat, which is the one pictured above, and my Peavey Special 150. I spent two nights a week at a friends studio, hanging out with some old timers and improvsing blues style music for about a year.

Life sorta took over at this point and the rest is nonhistory. I am not getting rid of the HM Strat, but am starting to look around for something a little newer. I have refreted the Strat two times and last week made what I think will be the final adjustment of the truss rod.

I have been eyeballing this puppy here...

Like Hetfield, I have loved ESP's for a long time, but the change I would have to throw down for one... that I want!(MH-1000)... I cannot justify. So, I thought this might be a decent compromise, after a little research I'm not so sure. Seems as though Agathis wood, which the body is made of, sounds really really horrible. So I will keep looking and reading...

Dream Theater is one of my favorite bands. Satriani and Petrucci are my two favorite guitar artists, And SRV is simply amazing

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
#1406960 10/11/05 08:06 PM
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Hey man, don't let those who don't like the 80s guitars cramp your style. Because, after all, it is your own.

My first serious guitar was an Ibanez Roadstar 410 with an Edge whammy that I bought when I was 16. Simple EVH style guitar (single humbucker with a coil split) that kept me happy for a lot of years. It was stolen in 2003 during my father's funeral.

So I looked at replacements, from mild to wild. I ended up with Fender Strat Highway 1 HSS. It is awesome, and is my number one right now. I know Fender isn't what it once was, but it is an excellent and very honest instrument. I added a Washburn N3 as a second guitar and like it (HATE the cheap junk whammy on it) as well.

I have played a few lower end guitars that might end up in the collection someday soon. One is the OLP MM1. For the price, unbeatable. Also, I REALLY liked the Samick Ultramatic that I played.

While looking for a new number one, I also learned a few things about the guitar market, one of the most important being that agathis is not worth the money at almost any price.

98 Silver Frost SVT 97 BMW 540I Sport, six speed "Blue is for sky, black is for soil, and white is for simplicity, purity and hope for the future" "A coveted car should never stunt your life, but should make it more rich and interesting."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard