Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#1406949 10/10/05 05:59 PM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by Tourgasm:
Wow, What's with the 80's guitars? Don't any of you have mass-produced overpriced crap?

Edited for clarity. I won't say ESP makes the best guitars on the planet, but the work their custom shop does is amazing. Beyond that there are many companies that make real quality instruments that aren't named Fender or Gibson. Oh, and the Stratocaster and Explorer designs were made in the 50's, not the 80's.

If you get a new guitar, make sure you don't get one that can be called an AXE. That means you should not be able to impale people with the cutaways.

If you want to play a strat, tele, or Les Paul like everyone else, knock yourself out. At least I keep my custom simple, unlike some:

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#1406950 10/10/05 06:01 PM
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
If there were an equivilant to "Riced out" for guitars, this one would be in the zone.

98.5 SVT FOR SALE $5000
#1406951 10/10/05 06:15 PM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
Originally posted by JohnnyBravo:
Sounds like you have a case of G.A.S. or Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. It's just like car mods/parts in that once you start buying stuff you can't stop. In hindsight I kinda wish I had the $ from some of the guitars I've owned in the past, but sometimes being the first one on the block to have something is fun. Then there are those that I've sold that I wish I didn't: definitely kicking myself for selling my first-run SRV sig Strat (very early serial number and sounded HUGE). And those that I passed on for one reason or another: pre-automated custom PRS's: one flamed redwood & the other flamed cedar. Boy am I kicking my butt on those, but this was back when they were still relatively unknown in the early 90's. Granted now I have a nice Custom Shop Strat that I'm way more than happy with so I don't really need anything else....but of course I'm always looking...and I mean always.

So, with your guitar if you're happy with it and it fits you & your playing style just right then why change anything? Just get a competent guitar tech to give it a really good setup and play away. Although if you like the way it plays, but would like to upgrade the tone a bit and have the $ to spend then maybe some good pickups would fit the bill. A Duncan JB in the bridge and maybe some Hot Rails in the neck & mid positions would work pretty darn good & really transform the sound. Plus if you do ever buy another guitar you can always just transfer the pickups over to the new one. Just my $.02

Oh, and here's some pics of my Custom Shop Strat & Ovation Custom Legend for what it's worth. The Strat came loaded with Texas Special pickups (same that came in the SRV Strat), has a StarSwitch (it's a digital switching system and you can chose tons of different pickup combos, but I'll be switching back to the stock one very soon), and the finish is called "Aurora Glow" or something like that:

http://community.webshots.com/album/415731415LtJLOs

I love those fender hotrod amps that you have in your pics. i've been wanting to buy one but i cant justify it because im not in a band and i dont want to get rid of my Marshall in order to get it.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
#1406952 10/10/05 06:18 PM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
If there were an equivilant to "Riced out" for guitars, this one would be in the zone.

personally, i dont think that its even the same thing. With guitars, the more extravagent, the better. It makes your guitar unique. As a guitarist, i have found very few guitars that i dont like the look of (with the exception of Prince's weird... symbol guitar). Cars and guitars shouldnt be compared like that.

beautiful...

Last edited by guitarman19853; 10/10/05 06:20 PM.

~Ryan 1999 T-Red SVT Contour 41k Miles #1701 / 2760 B&M, Custom Y-Pipe, Alpine HU, Pioneer 6x8's & 6x9's
#1406953 10/10/05 06:28 PM
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
That guitar is not cool. Sorry. It's unique, I would even call it art but cool it is not. Cool Guitars:

98.5 SVT FOR SALE $5000
#1406954 10/10/05 06:36 PM
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
With the exception of the Garcia one, none of those are anything special. I've seen plenty of nicer SG's, Rickenbakers are nice but also look rather plain, and the other gibson is just your standard looking jazz guitar.

#1406955 10/10/05 06:42 PM
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by guitarman19853:
and the other gibson is just your standard looking jazz guitar.

That one is actually a martin. of course there are nicer looking guitars but these are the guitars that are played on the best records you've ever heard. Sure elaborate guitars look flashy on stage but I but you've never heard them on even a white snake or Scorpions record.

98.5 SVT FOR SALE $5000
#1406956 10/10/05 07:12 PM
J
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by guitarman19853:
I love those fender hotrod amps that you have in your pics. i've been wanting to buy one but i cant justify it because im not in a band and i dont want to get rid of my Marshall in order to get it.

Actually it's not one of the Hot Rod series, but came out right before then (well, at least technically this specific model did). It's a reissue of the '59 tweed Bassman...the one that started it all & what the classic Marshall JTM45 is modeled after (although the Marshall ran different tubes in the power amp: EL84's compared to 6L6's in the Fender). I have a new set of JJ's tubes (12AX7's, 12AY7, 6V6's, and a tube rectifier) sitting in a box here ready to go in it anytime now as soon as I find a competent amp tech. I can't wait

I gotta admit that ESP does do some pretty nice custom work some of which is right up there with the best of 'em. I used to have a thing for the Lynch Kamakaze's back in the day, but opted to buy an Ibanez JEM 777FP (Steve Vai sig guitar; the original flower pattern one). I kinda grew out of that phase pretty quick though as I discovered I couldn't keep up with those guys.

Ben *now* '00 CSVT T-red/tan #1684/2150 *sold* '92 Galant VR-4 #580/1000 *sold* '93 FD3S TT
#1406957 10/11/05 01:39 AM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by JohnnyBravo:
I kinda grew out of that phase pretty quick though as I discovered I couldn't keep up with those guys.

I know that feeling all too well!

First time I went "back to basics" was a month or so after MegaDeth's "Countdown To Extinction" came out. I had listened to Cacaphonys album, with Marty on it, so I knew where the album would be going. I had a friend, that I jammed with alot, and he could play every song on the album. I tried and tried... Lord knows I did, but I just couldn't. For several months, during this time, I would easily play almost 10 hours a day. Not to mention high school and the whole girlfriend thing. Needless to say I failed that year of school and we all know the GF story. So I went back to playing more classic rock stuff and getting my technique more in check.

After awhile, I started picking up things that I didn't learn before. Things like EVH type stuff and whatnot. That soon lead me to Steve Vai, which took me back to Joe Satriani. I was kicking along just fine, even got really heavy into Pantera (which I still am). And then I heard Dream Theater's "Pull Me Under". That song energized me and my playing so much!! But I couldn't anything else from the album, or figure it out anyway. I worked and worked, but couldn't get it. I had plenty of time to work on it too, because the band I was in, at the time, had broken up just before I heard DT. It all really worked out, as far as timing went. But I simply regressed back to simpiler things, to gain the technique that I missed before.

But this time was different... Because I got really heavy into Stevie Ray! This is when I sold everything I had except my HM Strat, which is the one pictured above, and my Peavey Special 150. I spent two nights a week at a friends studio, hanging out with some old timers and improvsing blues style music for about a year.

Life sorta took over at this point and the rest is nonhistory. I am not getting rid of the HM Strat, but am starting to look around for something a little newer. I have refreted the Strat two times and last week made what I think will be the final adjustment of the truss rod.

I have been eyeballing this puppy here...

Like Hetfield, I have loved ESP's for a long time, but the change I would have to throw down for one... that I want!(MH-1000)... I cannot justify. So, I thought this might be a decent compromise, after a little research I'm not so sure. Seems as though Agathis wood, which the body is made of, sounds really really horrible. So I will keep looking and reading...

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#1406958 10/11/05 06:01 PM
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by hetfield:

Oh man, make it stop

Sad thing is, I probably would have thought that was cool about 15 years ago.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard