TIP

When you place the new torque converter (I hope your using a new torque converter) over the turbine shaft, you need to work the torque converter around until it seats completly on the shaft, it will fall in place a couple of times until it is seated. Once it is seated, when you turn the torque converter (with atx pointed up and you are placing the torque converter from above) you may hear a grinding noise when it is turned. This is an indication that it is seated fully. When you connect the atx to engine, and then bolt the torque converter, it will pull out some from the turnbine shaft and thus clear the splines you were rubbing against...

Also, check your flywheel, it the teeth are ground down a bit I would replace it. You can get a new one from O'Reilly Auto Parts for around 70 dollars. Also I would replace the rear engine seal.

I would also replace the atx drivers side fender mount. They have a tendency to sag and allow the case to ride against the frame allowing it to crack and/or leak.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!