Originally posted by rearden:
Originally posted by jtour:
Great info. Im in the same boat. I have a 99 Contour LX 4 cylinder with 70,000 miles but I am in love with the SVT's. I too am in the process in finding an SVT to buy. I looked at the same car as he did. But I simply couldnt muster up the $7000. I was looking to spend no more than $5000. Sometimes I wonder if I should just buy an SVT kit and not the whole car. What other car can I get with $5000 that has this kind of performance?

$5000 will buy a nice older Mustang/F-Body if you're looking for performance. You should also be able to find an SVT in that range of you look around. Try eBay. My dad has bought two cars that way, and had great luck with both.

But personally, I passed up on a nice '91 5.0 LX 5-speed notchback with a few bolt-ons in favor of my Contour. The 'Stang was a lot faster of course, but it felt like a primitive old rattletrap. Loose chassis, squirrely rear end, squeaks and rattles galore, not much feel for the road, etc.

The guy who had the it for sale thought I was insane for buying a Contour in favor of his car, until I took him on a twisty road. Said it was one of the best-handling cars he's ever been in, and he couldn't believe a little 4-door sedan could do what it does.

Thats the thing. I like the SVT contours. I dont know what its but I want one. So I will continue to look. But a Mustang of F-body wouldnt be bad.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier