Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
SAV Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Berkel:

Ray: So supposedly the impellers should be fine on 98.5 on up? My brother said his water pump on his 2000 should be ready to go, he's at 52k miles

It's better to be safe than sorry. Go ahead and doublecheck just for the sake of saving yourself a lot of time and worry, regardless of the year of the car. At most, it takes 10 minutes to find out if you have the white impellar or not. If you have a black one, replace it with a white or a metal one.

-SAV

Troll. 1997 VW Jetta MkIII GLS 5spd All hail my appearance on CEG!
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
M
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
M
Originally posted by Berkel:
Originally posted by The Davis:
glad you followed my advice on OT and dropped by

Thanks for the advice. Everyone's been damn helpful

Ray: So supposedly the impellers should be fine on 98.5 on up? My brother said his water pump on his 2000 should be ready to go, he's at 52k miles

Many people think they know something about their car when they are dead wrong. The only major problem with the late 99s to 2000 IMO is the lousy returnless fuel pump. My car is chugging below 1/3 of a tank and I'm at 57K. A friend of mine lost hers around 58K. Toss that worthless filter in the fuel pump when you change it out. I think the car is worth every penny I paid for it. $5K cash got me a V-6 4-door that gets 25/32 MPG with a 0-60 of 8 seconds and enough room to hold 4 people. Oh yeah and it only had 38K miles on it.

2000 Contour SE
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Contours have many fine qualities. Reliability is not one of them.

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by cheapest GL around:

This, from someone with a screen name "cheapest GL around"

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Great info. Im in the same boat. I have a 99 Contour LX 4 cylinder with 70,000 miles but I am in love with the SVT's. I too am in the process in finding an SVT to buy. I looked at the same car as he did. But I simply couldnt muster up the $7000. I was looking to spend no more than $5000. Sometimes I wonder if I should just buy an SVT kit and not the whole car. What other car can I get with $5000 that has this kind of performance?

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by jtour:
Great info. Im in the same boat. I have a 99 Contour LX 4 cylinder with 70,000 miles but I am in love with the SVT's. I too am in the process in finding an SVT to buy. I looked at the same car as he did. But I simply couldnt muster up the $7000. I was looking to spend no more than $5000. Sometimes I wonder if I should just buy an SVT kit and not the whole car. What other car can I get with $5000 that has this kind of performance?

$5000 will buy a nice older Mustang/F-Body if you're looking for performance. You should also be able to find an SVT in that range of you look around. Try eBay. My dad has bought two cars that way, and had great luck with both.

But personally, I passed up on a nice '91 5.0 LX 5-speed notchback with a few bolt-ons in favor of my Contour. The 'Stang was a lot faster of course, but it felt like a primitive old rattletrap. Loose chassis, squirrely rear end, squeaks and rattles galore, not much feel for the road, etc.

The guy who had the it for sale thought I was insane for buying a Contour in favor of his car, until I took him on a twisty road. Said it was one of the best-handling cars he's ever been in, and he couldn't believe a little 4-door sedan could do what it does.

'99 Contour Sport V6 MTX
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Originally posted by cheapest GL around:

This, from someone with a screen name "cheapest GL around"

The reason I was driving the cheapest GL around is because my other GL expired while I was unemployed. When the second GL died too, I got a new Mazda.

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by rearden:
Originally posted by jtour:

$5000 will buy a nice older Mustang/F-Body if you're looking for performance. You should also be able to find an SVT in that range of you look around. Try eBay. My dad has bought two cars that way, and had great luck with both.

But personally, I passed up on a nice '91 5.0 LX 5-speed notchback with a few bolt-ons in favor of my Contour. The 'Stang was a lot faster of course, but it felt like a primitive old rattletrap. Loose chassis, squirrely rear end, squeaks and rattles galore, not much feel for the road, etc.

The guy who had the it for sale thought I was insane for buying a Contour in favor of his car, until I took him on a twisty road. Said it was one of the best-handling cars he's ever been in, and he couldn't believe a little 4-door sedan could do what it does.

Thats the thing. I like the SVT contours. I dont know what its but I want one. So I will continue to look. But a Mustang of F-body wouldnt be bad.

"Do what you like, Because you have to drive it!"-Me 99 Contour LX 95 Mustang GT Convertible 97 Z24 Cavalier
B
Berkel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Thanks for everyone's help

One last question, if the car has been maintained great up until this point, can I muster a good 120k miles out of the car if I perform all the maintenance check points and keep things runnin well? I don't intend on beating on it.

I'm gonna need this car to last me a while, but I would much rather have this than a honda civic

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard