Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
My list of problems :

1. DPFE

This was my 98.5 purchased new in Jan'99, sold in May'05.

1999 Toreador Red SVT, DOB 4/22/99, 2005 Of 2760. "Many posted questions are answered by farm boys"
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Berkel:
My brother seems to think I'll be overwhelmed with the poor gas mileage compared to a civic and how much I'll have to service it. But that's what comes with a car this fun isn't it? Maybe my brother's just turning me off because this car looks nicer than his

A nice teardown of the UIM/LIM with fresh filters and a gentle foot can net mid 24mpg, with 31-32 on the freeway not hard at all (at 80mph or so!!)

Even a heavy foot (and I mean LEAD heavy) can and will only dip to 16-19city.. counter those number with the FUN you can have (vs the "fun" you have with a lead footed honda... MPG dips but you don't go any faster ) and you have a winner.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

S
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Tony2005:
and definitely have a mechanic check it out. In anycase, I wonder if $7,500 is a little too high for a 98.5

Thats what I paid for my bone stock CSVT 2 years ago with 62k on it.

The "Bluer Tour" 1998.5 SVTour R.I.P. 2000 ATX Tour SE
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L

I'll try my best to find a mechanic in the area, though I don't know.

Welcome to the CEG!

Stop into the Michigan forums, post and see if one of those guys can go see this car with you. The Michigan guys know their stuff ( ) and can assist you with determining if the car is something you should consider.

As far as my SVT, nothing major (knocks wood). I have only done preventative maintenance stuff to it. Changed out the WP, belt/tensioner, plugs/wires, did a tranny drain/fill, flushed the brake fluid, flushed and refilled the cooling system, did an UIM/LIM cleaning and replaced a few parts "just because it was time".

N
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
N
I actually had a Mercury Mystique, 4 cyl, sister to the contour. I've had a battery go dead, spark plug and spark plug wires replaced, motor mounts replaced, sway bar replaced. about 4 tires replaced (I kept running over sh*t)... and the biggy, my transmission failed on mine. So now it is currently for sell. But besides those problems, it was a great handling car. I loved it, and your purchasing the SVT... gotta be better right? I think it is a great car to have...

Steve

Steven. L. Benthal Jr. 98 Mystique: Meshed Grille & Pioneer Sound System
B
Berkel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Thanks for everyone's help. I'll see if I can get anyone in Michigan to help me out.

I've had several people tell me "Ford? Reliable? Yeah right." .. But then I've also heard the Contour SVT's have far higher reliability than the other Contours.

Hopefully everything turns out good

The guy has kept the car garage kept and has babied it (so he says), has all service records, and has only had to replace one part (front wheel bearing) so the car keeps looking even more promising. Now if the waterpump still hasn't been replaced, I don't know what to think, but if so maybe the price will need to be worked. He belongs to these forums as well.

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
FWIW: by the start/middle of the 98MY, MOST if not 99% of the contours being manufactured were being equipped with the updated impellar. This would include ANY SVT.

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
glad you followed my advice on OT and dropped by

How many Vs would a VTEC TEC if a VTEC could TEC Vs? The one, the only....FRNKNFORD http://www.westvalleycs.com
B
Berkel Offline OP
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by The Davis:

Thanks for the advice. Everyone's been damn helpful

Ray: So supposedly the impellers should be fine on 98.5 on up? My brother said his water pump on his 2000 should be ready to go, he's at 52k miles

98.5 T. Red Contour SVT Lowered on FSVT's http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2154233
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by The Davis:

Thanks for the advice. Everyone's been damn helpful

Ray: So supposedly the impellers should be fine on 98.5 on up? My brother said his water pump on his 2000 should be ready to go, he's at 52k miles

99 and up, to my recollection. Could be wrong though.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard