Originally posted by DemonSVT:
You obviously are not mapping out your ideas.

Do some math and figure out what pressure ratio would be required on the tiny T3 to generate any worthwhile power gains. (stock is ~18psi on the 200 crank HP 2.3L IIRC ) Then consider all the heat introduced from running that high of a pressure ratio. Then consider the stock compression is 9.7 to 1.

You want to size the turbo so you can run a lower pressure ratio while still being in the peak efficiency range so the heat introduced is the lowest possible. Then you'll still want an intercooler or a band aid approach like water/meth injection. (yes it works but it's definitely not ideal by itself!)

Then figure to spend just as much on the POS slushbox.

Uhh, what?
1. Stock on the best engines is only 15 psi and 200 HP, the 87-88 TC made 190 crank HP with an IHI(SMALLER than a T3) and at 15 psi, but could run up to 18 psi, which is over 200 crank HP obviously, so no you don't remember correctly. I have had an IHI car at around 240 WHP and another Turboford guy has knocked out 13s in a 3700 lb car. The T3 is much larger and is capable of 300 WHP. With a bigger engine that 300 WHP simply happens at a LOWER pressure ratio. Compression has nothing to do with it and only limits max boost due to detonation, the higher compression and bigger displacement simply results in a super quick spooling torque monster that is limited to 9 psi boost, maybe 15. And unless you've been through three different turbos to know how they all feel, you can't really appreciate a small turbo the way I do. Everything's speculation until you look at a compressor map.

My estimations from a 60 Trim map show over 65% efficiency at 240 WHP or so. That's darn good in my book for a junkyard setup, with a good intercooler it's not even an issue, especially with a bigger housing like a .82 A/R exhaust hsg. No where near overspeeding the turbo either. And who said T3s weren't good quality? Millions of production cars sure seem to work just fine with them? Just because the GT series or a hybrid is new and shiny does that make it better? Not always, and they're a lot more expensive. And to think that headers and intake would give you the jump a "measly" T3 would give is just preposterous.

2. Let the freakin' tranny blow, who cares? If it blows then put something better in. Stop crying about how it'll never last, if you want to make power then you have to deal with the consequences. Matt obviously understands that $hit breaks or he wouldn't be messing with turbos to begin with. And why make an attack on his person? He was just asking a question, just because he could search and find that everyone else uses "X" turbo doesn't mean that's all that will work.

Oh and water and methanol is not a band aid. 28 psi on pump gas tells the whole story, and it's been done. How much boost were you running again?

What an excellent first post...

-John