Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
ok...i know im bringing up this old post, but i didnt want to start a new thread for a simple short question....

can the highs in the lows mod be done with regular light bulbs?! im only asking this because i had some old stock bulbs laying around, and before i put the new HL's in, i figured id play around with the old ones. i shaved down the tabs, but the low beam bulb would not fit in the high beam socket.

am i missing somthing or is this just a mod for silverstars?

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by mystiquevltwin:
ok...i know im bringing up this old post, but i didnt want to start a new thread for a simple short question....

can the highs in the lows mod be done with regular light bulbs?! im only asking this because i had some old stock bulbs laying around, and before i put the new HL's in, i figured id play around with the old ones. i shaved down the tabs, but the low beam bulb would not fit in the high beam socket.

am i missing somthing or is this just a mod for silverstars?

It can be done, it will be brighter than the stock lows, but not as bright as Silverstars.

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Like Tourige said , it can be done with no issues . If you already have the "highs" in hand , trim 'em up & throw 'em in ! You'll like the difference .

Remember - DON'T touch the glass !! Wrap it up in a kleenex while you trim out the plug's tab (kleenex WITHOUT aloe , BTW ) .

~~~~~~~ Phil Black & Tan 2000 SVT Contour #2137 of 2150 35,000 miles & counting !
H
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
H
I did this mod alittle diffrent I got a set of plugs for the high beams from the junk yard. Then I cut and solder them in place of the low beam plugs.

1998.5 CSVT Black/Midnight blue 4895 of 6535 DOB Feb 28, 1998 Kanuberized Nightshade Tails 17 inch RS5s http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2064434/1
T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by hotblack98:
I did this mod alittle diffrent I got a set of plugs for the high beams from the junk yard. Then I cut and solder them in place of the low beam plugs.

Thats a lot more work than breaking the tab..

99 TRed Contour SVT # 1853 out of 2760 230.2 WHP @ 6500 237.0 WTR @ 2250
Originally posted by MxRacer:
Originally posted by RawBurt:
I'll be keeping it to myself, until the time comes. It'll be hard to find.

much like your weiner.

M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
oh yeah i know all of that...i did shave the little tabs inside the light socked...but the problem i am having is that the diameter of the low beam does not fit in the high beam socket....im talking about the circular part on the headlight itself...what gives?!

are silverstars a smaller diameter than stock headlights?...they shouldnt be?! or am i doing something wrong

kevin m 98 T-red mystique gs zetec ATX | my ride |
D
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
D
I just put my 9005 silverstars in my new headlights today. They are not an exact fit you have to wiggle them around a little bit until they get in there. Just give them a few wiggles until it falls in. Btw it looks great!

FS: Stock Diff. Stock Shift Forks SE Front and Rear Bumper
M
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
M
Yeah, you have to cut a tiny bit off the ring tabs too. I used a dremel with the little round spinny thing to cut down the inner tabs. All the time when I was installing everything, I wore nitrile gloves.

[color:"green"]-Matt R

'99 Tropic Green LX, Zetec, ATX
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
I just did the mod 5min after reading this.. It works well! Make sure that you get the entire nob off or it will not lock in on the electrical socket. I think if you have aftermarket headlights the fit is not as smooth as the OEM's (in regards to the threading). I have one Ford and one aftermarket and the aftermarket gives me hell to twist the bulbs in while the Ford one just turns right in. Maybe that's your problem...

PS
I found the razor to be too tedious so I heated up a flat head screwdriver and carefully melted the nob off. It was very effective!

SV Pushing An SVT!!! The Rayn Campaign
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
uh... the plastic lenses on the outside (which I slaved SO hard to clean with Wetsand, wax, polish, and plastix) get really REALLY hot when my Lows are on using this mod. Wow I had them going for about 10 minutes and I swear I was ready to crack an egg on em and start cooking me some early breakfast wow they get hot. Will that affect anything seriously to all of you who use 9005s in 9006 fittings?

1998 Mercury Mystique LS - Looking for SVT EXHAUST, SVT Rear bumper (silver frost) and ANY rocker mouldings (side skirts)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  GTO Pete 

Link Copied to Clipboard