Originally posted by chrisilversvt:
fwiw a stock ls1 is NOT faster than an 01 cobra stock for stock it is purely a drivers race....my cousin had an '01 cobra a couple years ago(he now has an '04)and it consistantly ran 13.5's to 13.7's which is right on par with a stock ls1...it is pretty much a drivers race...let's not even get into his '04 which has run a best of 12.8 with only a k&n drop in and flowmasters on it...

The 01 Cobra's were faster than the 99's, even post fix. I've seen stock 01's run 13.5's at Cecil Dragway, which is close to sea level and known to produce great ET's/MPH. My 99 SS with lid and Magnaflow exhaust, ran 12.9@109MPH, bone stock it ran 13.1@107MPH at the same track. There is more potential with the LS1 cars to run considerably better ET's/MPH than the 99/01 Cobras. The best LS1 F-bodies have run high 12's bone stock, the 99/01 Cobras never came close. I drove both a 99 Cobra and my 99 SS and I bought the SS because of mod potential and I actually liked the lower slung GM car's interior better, and the 6-speed Hurst shifter IMHO was much better placed and functionally better. I had no squeaks at all and the rattles are mostly suspension/drivetrain related (the stock 10 bolt rear is very clunky/noisy), not interior related.

Don't get me wrong I liked the Cobra, the exhaust tuning was excellent from the factory, and it was quick, but it's not going to run side by side with a well driven 6-speed F-body LS1 especially after 2nd gear (the infamous 3rd gear LS1 pull). The Cobra's independent rear suspension is a disadvantage when drag racing, but pays off in the turns big time. The few MACH1 Stangs I came across before I sold my SS actually put up much better fights when drag racing than the Cobras I ran in my SS when it was semi-stock.

Best Regards, HitchHiker 05 Altima SE-R - smoke, 6-spd - Fujita CAI Best stock times: 1/4: 14.366 @ 98.99MPH - 2.366 60 ft 1/8: 9.373 @ 79.84MPH - 2.366 60 ft