Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
Just finished replacing the motor and have a noise from the thin aluminum plate between the trans and motor. The plate was slightly bent at the bottom from the motor resting on it but I thought it would straighten out when the two were bolted together. I now have a loud noise when the engine is running. If I push on the plate I can make it change and sometime go away. I've tried jamming a screwdriver between the plate and flywheel to bend it back but it is still there. I thought I could just drive it out (steel vs. aluminum) but after 100 mi it's still there.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Mike

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by twocontours:
The plate was slightly bent at the bottom from the motor resting on it but I thought it would straighten out when the two were bolted together.

You thought wrong. Good luck with that. Do want us to pet your head and tell you it's going to be ok? You know what that fix is. Pull it and install one that isn't bent.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Yep, Need new flywheel....don't go any further and damage anything. Torque converter bolted to flywheel, you be causing the tc to wobble and do damage.....

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
T
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
T
The flywheel isn't bent, it's the aluminum plate between the trans and motor. The TC isn't wobbling.

B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
Ah, ok the cover/splash plate between block and atx casing.....ok.

Are you sure you have both halves tighly bolted together...

The only part that could rattle is the bottom half...is it bent over and touching the oil pan, etc. If so, bending it back with pliers, etc. should halp. Also is the bottom half secured to the atx. If I remember correctly there should be some bolts to bolt it into the lower half of the atx.

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard