Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
So we're installing my 3L in the spring of '04. We had a heck of a time getting the rod shifter linkage off the tranny for removal of the old engine. We spend 3 hours trying to get that stubborn linkage off there. A lot of pulling/pushing on the shifter, trying to use leverage pulling on the shifter to get the shaft to slide out, etc. I admit, it was ugly.

Well after all that, get the car back together, I can shift it, but man, it is NOT precise. I can really move the shifter back and forth by a good inch or so while its IN gear, and to try to get it in the right gear is a guessing game for anyone not used to it. I've been driving it like this for about 18 months now so I have the feel down and can shift it, but it is still a mess and sloppy as hell.

Well I think I found the culprit. Can someone with a rod-shift MTX75 verify that this is NOT normal to have this much movement down there:

quicktime vid

I think that only the middle part pointed to here is supposed to move:

right?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
not at all, only the very center looks like it is suppose to move

video, sorry it is so dark
video

neutral all the way left

centered in neutral

all the way right in neutral

Last edited by brapple; 09/08/05 10:52 PM.

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
brapple, thanks, you da man!

Now I wonder what it is I need to fix it.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Drop the rod "box". I removed mine totally and put some marine grease in there. Tery recommended it since they do dry out. It's a PITA but well worth the trouble. My god my car shifts so sweet now. You would crap. Looks like you might need a lot of new parts though.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Ya, I think I need new parts alright. Please describe this PITA, did you have to do it from under the car (like, moving heatsheilds and crap) or could you do it in the car?

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
oh goody, would you look at all them little parts in there:

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I think it is held in by 4 bolts. Have to remove the rods mechanisms that go to the tranny as well. Not fun.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by todras:
I think it is held in by 4 bolts. Have to remove the rods mechanisms that go to the tranny as well. Not fun.

Ok, just got back from under the car. Looks like there are two bolts on the backside (rear of the car side) that hold a rubber bushing that supports the rear of hte shifter box. Get this, I couldn't find ANY bolts that secure hte box to the body. Just the bushing in the back, which allows it to twist. But I do have good news: I found the problem.

I'll post pics in a minute, but there is a bar that runs parralel to the rod shift linkage and mounts right next to the rear roll restrictor. It looks like it would be just for bracing the box from moving forward to back, but no. This sucker, when bolted down (HAR HAR! hint hint), also keeps the box from rotating from SIDE to SIDE. Well looks like we forgot to bolt it down when we did my 3L

Problem is, yup, I have to remove the shift linkage from the tranny again to get the nut on teh threaded end.

But I am a man with a plan. The car is going to the shop anyway for inner tie rod ends next thursday, so I'll have them do it suckers, MUAHAHAHA

That gives me one week to figure out what fastener is supposed to be threaded on there, and to get it here for installation on thursday.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Here's what needs a fastener:

And the dreaded linkage right next to it, in the way.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
pics

looks to be just a plate that is bolted on, old pics, sorry for the angle

one is a duratec and one is a zetec, both 95s

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard