Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
The nut ans washer is gone Ryan?!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by todras:
The nut ans washer is gone Ryan?!

Yup

Kind of makes sense that the whole shift box is moving back and forth, its nothing else really. Under the car I can grab the shift box and twist it almost a full 90 degrees (total sweep, from 45 one way to 45 the other) with one hand and minimal effort. If I use one hand to secure the end of that stabalizer, its nearly rock solid, won't twist.

I've got to find my nut.

EDIT: thanks for the pics brapple! Looks like a large washer with a nut.

F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Yeah, just a washer and a nut and you're good to go. You shouldn't have to remove the whole linkage for that. You should be able to remove the bolt for the sleave and remove the bolt on the universal and just slid it back. The first time I took one of those apart was a [censored], but once I figured out the trick it's no big deal.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Shoot, you serious? Any chance you can explain that with pictures? (I'm stooopid)

Not sure which bolts you mean. Are any of them in that last pic I posted?

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Shoot, you serious? Any chance you can explain that with pictures? (I'm stooopid)

you do not need to take anythign apart to get to that missing plate and nut

I took the rear mount out and didn't touch the shift linkage, and that is one of the things you need to remove to get the rear mount off

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I just changed my rear mount like 2 weeks ago, but didn't have to move that stabilizer bar. Unless the nut is quite flat, there's no room between the shifterlinkage U-joint and the threaded bolt sticking out to slip a nut on the end. Well, maybe if I move my shifter into a different gear it would swing that U-joint out of hte way enough to get a nut on/off

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
you know maybe when i did that I did remove the shifter, I forget at this point

- 95 Mystique LS - Zetec/5spd - 99 Contour SeVT Sport - Duratec/5spd Official NE-CEG Contour/Mustang Family
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Yes you have to remove the other rod to get the nut and washer on there.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:

I took your picture and did the best I could with it on this computer at work. Basically the bottom arrow points to the bolt that gets removed from the tranny shaft. The top arrow you want to loosen that nut and try to slide the universal joint up in to the shaft. From the looks of it you may need a lot of penetrating oil. Once you've slid it back a ways you should have no trouble getting that nut and washer on. [image]http://www.geocities.com/albatross32672/shifter.bmp[/image]

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Excellent, thank you Al

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard