Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 66 of 74 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 73 74
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
I drained the near fresh fluid out last night, looked clean, and put in the RP. As stazi said, it's like butter.

Huge improvement, shifting from 3rd, to neutral, and then to first is a piece of cake, no forcing it into gear at all.

2006 Pontiac G6 3900SFI GTP Coupe CAI, Stainless Cat Back, Vector Tune, Strut Brace, Eibach Pro Kit, Custom Made Projector Headlights, 4300K, 20% Tint Former Owner- 2000 "Stryped" CSVT CEG Dragon Run- Oct 13-15
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I have three quarts of RP in my trunk, and I can't feel any difference at all in my shifting.

Seriously, though, I am not an experimenter when it comes to most aspects of this car. I let other people do that. So, the good thing is I've missed all the bandwagons: FM, cocktails, MTL, and so on.

From a pure specs comparison, it makes more sense to me to run MT-90 than MTL, but let's face it: Everything I know about MTX fluid I've learned in the last month. Like I said, I'm not one to experiment.

Anyway, I don't have much to go on, here. I posted a response from RP, and I read the responses from Redline, and they both say nearly the same thing. RP inspires a bit more confidence, because they 1) knew what an MTX 75 was, 2) claimed to have "tested" their product in this exact unit, and 3) have enough confidence themselves to cross-reference their product with the XT-M5-QS. The Redline response seems rooted more on what should "theoretically" be OK, unless I read it wrong. Redline doesn't make as bold or specific a claim as RP wrt suitability, either.

Still, there's a lot we don't know about the RP product, and both RP emails are selectively vague about test methodology. What is the test? "No Italians are complaining, so it must be good?"

As TH has said, there could be a quality control issue with the MTL. Based on specs, the MTL should be fine. The MT-90 perhaps "better." Fram oil filters meet specs, too, and thousands of people run them without ever noticing anything wrong. If the quality of the MTL is inconsistent, that could explain a lot. (Doesn't prove it's true, though.)

I'm not interested in "like butter" observations, either. I could put straight ATF in there tomorrow and it would probably shift "like butter" compared to now, (with almost 75k on the original fluid!). My fluid needs changed, and I'm tentatively convinced that the RP is a good product with reliable quality, and that it might even work better than the Ford fluid. But, like I said, I don't have a lot to go on.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by RogerB:

I'm not interested in "like butter" observations, either. I could put straight ATF in there tomorrow and it would probably shift "like butter" compared to now,

I'd think Stazi would give a correct analogy compared to most on here. He changed more transaxles than most on here and driven quite a few. I'm close to him so I'd say if some of the more respected members on here says it shifts better I'd believe them. I remember hearing cold shift complains about MTL back in the day and that's what kept me away from it.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
.. Would storing it in a clean old water jug or something work until the Blackstone bottles came or would that contaminate it? ..

Wash glass bottles with distilled water (and triple rinse). Then air dry. Fill bottles with fluid all the way to brim to ensure no air bubbles and cover with tight lid.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by RogerB:

As TH has said, there could be a quality control issue with the MTL. Based on specs, the MTL should be fine. The MT-90 perhaps "better."

Based on specs? The lab report does not match the lab report of Honey. How does that make it fine? Why would you run MT-90? What is your reasoning? What's going to happen when the weather turns colder with that heavier weight fluid in there? War lives in a warmer southern climate so that might be ok for him. I can't recall where you live. The reason War is running it is because of the noise his Torsen is producing. Maybe the diff. bearings weren't preloaded correctly when the diff. was installed? I don't know. Eurotour and I put M1 in his Torsen equiped trans Terry built. No noises from it. And why not run D4 since that is what's stated on the Redline label? "Suitable for transmissions that are specified to run ATF." Which again is not the spec for the MTX-75 anyway but at the beginning was spec'd as previously stated. If you've missed installing all these "mystery oils" then why not run the Ford spec'd honey? You've obviously saved a lot by sticking to ATF. MT-90 is not even close to something I'd use in an stock MTX-75. I thought you stated you weren't experimenting?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
The MT-90 is of the correct weight at 75W90. (The same as the Ford "Honey.") As an average consumer, I might not dig any deeper than that. I'm not recommending MT-90. I'm just trying to make a point about "spec."

I run 5w-30 in my engine, and will probably never change. Some guys argue that a 0w-30 or 0w-20 would be better--others argue 20w50. Both cite some arcane technical analysis that I can understand but would never be curious enough to do on my own. Both sides make some believable points that contradict each other. I'll be sticking with the design spec, thank you. That's what I mean by "not experimenting."

Now, reading that you might think I'd never stray from the Honey. But, I think I know enough now to realize that this is not rocket science. Well, it shouldn't be, anyway. My engine wants 5w-30. It gets 5w-30. It doesn't matter who makes it. Sure, some oil works better than others, and I run Mobil 1. But technically, I should be able to run any "certified" 5w-30 oil and not worry about it ruining the engine.

The gearbox is slightly more complicated, I realize. I have to worry about GL-3/4 vs GL-5. I have to use something designed for a synchronized transmission. Given complete ignorance of this thread, I should be able to choose any synthetic manual transmission fluid of the correct weight and GL rating and not worry about it. Given that, I'd be deciding between Redline MT-90, RP Synchromax, and the Ford Honey (and maybe some others). If I didn't know Ford had updated the spec, I might have D4 ATF on the list, but that's a moot point, isn't it? And who the hell's idea was it to put FM in there? But we've already covered that.

If I could wait longer, I would, to get more "long term" data on RP. But 75k is enough, and my shifting needs improvement. I'm going to have to trust my gut on this, and rely on RP's confidence. But I don't see it as a big risk.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Stazi:
Menutia aside - go for the RP. It's very close to the Ford specs AND shifts great - even when cold.

I honestly think that is what I will do when I change out this fluid. I've always liked RP products and I'm eager to try this stuff out this winter as I know this MT90 is going to be too heavy come December.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by todras:
War lives in a warmer southern climate so that might be ok for him. I can't recall where you live. The reason War is running it is because of the noise his Torsen is producing. Maybe the diff. bearings weren't preloaded correctly when the diff. was installed? I don't know. Eurotour and I put M1 in his Torsen equiped trans Terry built. No noises from it.

True on the climate and Torsen noises. I found out that it was because of the high torque loads my engine produces that my torsen makes more noise than other people's.
I routinely run 300+ ft-lbs of torque at the crank up to and including the uncorrected 330 ft-lbs I recorded at the wheels when I last dynod, that was what...350 ft-lbs at the crank?
Torsen said the T2 was only designed for the Focus and for its torque loads. I developed the noise on a powerful motor using only ATF+FM. I'll never use that stuff again. The rest of my trans has held together well on any of the fluids I've ran, including the stock diff. I still have the stock diff and not a mark on it with the fluids I ran. I even ran it with my turbo for about 3 months before installing the torsen and of course that was over 2 years before that on the 3L hybrid motor I built.
So yeah, MT90 is close in weight to the Ford Honey but I'd be carefull on it in a cold climate. Not that it will hurt anything but because it may not shift as well.

If it comes to it, I used Torco Synthetic from Jan 01 to May 03. That stuff worked well and did a great job of protecting my diff from damage. NOT an ounce of wear on my stock diff as I stated above, and the fluid I used for two years with the 3L and three months of the turbo was the Torco synthetic sold by BAT.
BAT actually recommends it for the MTX 75 as it has been used in racing in these tranmissions and it has been tested for well over 5 years. How come no one uses this stuff? I it has more race time than any of these other fluids we talk about...including Ford Honey. I endorse it for protection even in the less than ideal conditions of a high torque motor.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by Stazi:
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Speaking of that, I owe you a congrats. I am assuming by now you've surpassed the 50 mile mark. congrats! :-)

I wouldn't be too sure about that.......

Haahahahahahaha Wow Todd and how long has your car been apart? I go away for awhile and your still crying like a bay about your car. Don't worry Todd I'll go away now for awhile again because I know you love me soooooooooooo much

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

Page 66 of 74 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard