Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 64 of 74 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 73 74
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by todras:
Proof that aggresive maintenance works. Nice try on that angle though.

It doesn't matter how well you maintain the car. Failures happen and abusive driving will make components fail prematurely. And Todd speaking of cheap aren't you the one that skimped on rod bearings on your last failed 3L?

06 GMC Sierra 2500HD Dmax/ally 06 Pontiac G6 GT 05 CRF250R FOR SALE 06 KX65 with riding gear $2700 obo
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
And Todd speaking of cheap aren't you the one that skimped on rod bearings on your last failed 3L?

Is that the only thing you've ever posted as a response to my posts? Seems like it. Staz didn't do the rod bearings in Bk's car. Runs just fine. Didn't realize I had to spend $ on an engine with 10k on the clock. Nice try yourself. Yea by looking at my Contour you can see how cheap I am. Now go away again for a few more months and post the same thing to me again and hijack another thread.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Rishodi:

Uh oh, what's this? Someone else running MTL and found no signs of the sludge?

From TH
...on MTL:- *Differences in color between 'batches'

*New bottles with 'black stuff' in the bottom of the
bottle
*Some very dirty black transmissions, some people claim theirs are clean
*We have virgin oil test on ONE batch(time others sent some!)
*We have yet to see a pic of a clean trans that was opened up(dispite what some say I WANT PROOF!)...and maybe, just bloody maybe if they would read the WHOLE thread they may pick up where we mentioned that it could be a QC problem at Redline...as my own virgin sample had 'solids' in it!!!...which is a no no...Maybe R/Line has no 'sample inspection' QC standards.....READ THE WHOLE POST!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Thinkmoto:
And Todd speaking of cheap aren't you the one that skimped on rod bearings on your last failed 3L?

Is that the only thing you've ever posted as a response to my posts? Seems like it. Staz didn't do the rod bearings in Bk's car. Runs just fine. Didn't realize I had to spend $ on an engine with 10k on the clock. Nice try yourself. Yea by looking at my Contour you can see how cheap I am. Now go away again for a few more months and post the same thing to me again and hijack another thread.

Speaking of that, I owe you a congrats. I am assuming by now you've surpassed the 50 mile mark. congrats! :-)

Ryan Trollin!
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by RTStabler51:
Speaking of that, I owe you a congrats. I am assuming by now you've surpassed the 50 mile mark. congrats! :-)

I wouldn't be too sure about that.......

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Stazi:

I wouldn't be too sure about that.......

I would. What is this? Asshat covention? What does me buying a used engine have to do with this thread?!

S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I'm just teasing, seeing as I've put on more miles walking, than you have driving, since you put your car back together.

2000 SVT Turbo 295hp/269ftlb@12psi #1 for Bendix Brakes Kits! Knuckles rebuilt w/new bearings $55 AUSSIE ENDLINKS $70 Gutted pre-cats $80/set A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine!
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
After a few years of wear, the differential and the synchros are prone to give out. It's not at all an uncommon issue.

Umm NO! I had 130k when my 2.5 spun a bearing. My stock MTX looked great when I had a Quaife installed!!!! Big Jim has 200+k on his SVT without any motor or tranny work. Proof that aggresive maintenance works. Nice try on that angle though.

I don't get why you're so adament about this. Aggressive maintenance helps but it's no guarantee; it never is. It's rare that a Contour gets high mileage without a transmission problem. Hell, I'm surprised that mine has gotten to 130k without any issues. And no, I don't abuse it and neither did the previous owner. It's a simple fact that our transmissions aren't the greastest and are prone to failure.

To answer your question, I use Castrol GTX in my engine, and I buy it by the gallon, which comes out to around $2.25 per quart. That and changing the oil filter every time makes it a little less than $20 for me to do it myself.

If you can't see my viewpoint, that's fine and it's no big deal to me. I can see yours and that's fine, though you're pushing it awfully hard. Basically, I just don't think that it's worth spending the money on the best/most expensive of everything as long as you can find a cheaper item of near quality, because at the same time it is worth spending enough to get a better product than the cheapest available. I think that's just being realistic and careful with your finances. You call me cheap? You should meet my roommate lol

E0 Silver Frost CSVT #3095/6535 Alpine CDA-9851
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

I don't get why you're so adament about this. Aggressive maintenance helps but it's no guarantee; it never is. It's rare that a Contour gets high mileage without a transmission problem.

Most likely because of abuse and improper shifting procedures. Yes later MTX's seem to have 3rd gear sync issues. I have a 99 SVT in my garage right now with 65k on it and no grind issues. I've also heard of some with 30k on them with a lot of sync issues. Logic tells me someone drove the hell out it at some point.

Hell, I'm surprised that mine has gotten to 130k without any issues. And no, I don't abuse it and neither did the previous owner.

Theirs your answer. You didn't abuse it. All of them would last w/o issue like yours with a good lube, timely changes and good driving.

Basically, I just don't think that it's worth spending the money on the best/most expensive of everything as long as you can find a cheaper item of near quality,

Then Synchromax is for you.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Yeah, I won't believe SVTedwardo til I see pics. He made my friend drive all the way home to show him a car and never showed nor called nor answered his phone.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 64 of 74 1 2 62 63 64 65 66 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard