Originally posted by Royal Purple:

Roger,

Thanks for your email regarding the Ford MTX57 5 Speed Front Wheel Drive transmission in your 1996 Ford Contour.

We have tested the Synchromax in this Ford World Car platform in Europe for several years through our Italian distributor. The Ford spec calls for a GL-3 rated gear oil in a synthetic 75W90 formulation. 1A GL-3 rated gear oil is not really a gear oil at all in that it does not contain any EP additives like you would find in a EP gear oil used in a differential. See the attached API description of GL ratings.

2The Synchromax is a slightly lighter viscosity fluid than the Ford product but also contains our Synerlec additive package which gives the oil film 300% more film pressure to resist metal to metal than a GL-3 oil but still allows the synchronizers to function correctly and in this case, more efficiently making for smoother shift quality.

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365

I really hate to bring this back up, but didn't Terry point out that the EP additives is what he feels was partly to blame for causing all the goo?

Originally posted by TH from FCO post:
"...don't get hung up on the viscosity of the lubes here...the MTL appears to have the same additives as a hypoid gear oil that is designed for extreme pressure,which the MTX75 does NOT need. The fact that the MTL carries debris all round the trans appears to be the issue. Just smell MTL and smell a hypoid gear oil...same,then take a smell of Ford XT-M5-QS.... the Ford lube does not come close to the others in smell. This is an additive issue.... and again an MTX75 does not need ANY 'EP' additives as the MTX75 has none of it's gears with a hypoid gear 'cut'. Also woth noting is that an 'EP' lube with a Quaife or Torsen will REDUCE the effectiveness of the ATB diff. An ATB diff balances torque to each side by the friction 'end load' of the spiral cut diff pinions pressing on the diff carrier case. Using an 'EP" lube will reduce the end thrust friction of these pinions on the case and affetct the torque bias...not good."

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime