it strange that my diff and tranny has lasted so long with
no problems.It now has 260000 kms on it and has been beaten
with no restraint since day one.the only maintenance I did
to it was change fluid every 3yrs or so with the cheapest
dex3 fluid.My contour isn't modded however.I've started
modding my cougar lightly (svt uim,tb and gmk's stuff)and
when I changed tranny fluid the first time shortly after
I bought it the fluid was brown and burt like I've never
seen on my tour(had a trailer hitch when I bought it,got a new engine under warranty though )replaced that fluid
with castrol dex5 and has been great since 1 1\2 yrs
despite beeing driven the same way the tour's been.I just
don't like the notchy feel of it and double clutching to
get in 1st gear when moving sorta sucks too but as far as
it beeing reliable I can't complain.

Last edited by Jeff1; 10/02/05 03:59 PM.
#1380390 10/03/05 04:14 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by todras:

From TH

...As to other aftermarket suppliers who 'say'
that their lube meets Ford 'WSD-M2C200-C'...I'd be
intersted to see their proof of being 'authorised by
Ford'...or do we assume they have been certified and
passed all the Ford tests etc from a lube
submission...

Here was my email to Royal Purple:

Originally posted by me:

I notice that you list Synchromax as compatible with Ford's
XT-M5-QS spec WSD-M2C200-C gear oil for the MTX-75 manual
transmission. You are, perhaps, the only aftermarket lube
company to do so. I have a 96 Ford Contour with the MTX-75, and I have 3 quarts of Synchromax in the trunk, waiting to go in the tranny. The Motorcraft lubricant is over $21/quart locally, so I was glad to find you. However, I do have a few questions before I go ahead with the drain and fill.

What sort of testing/documentation/certification have you done to ensure that the Ford spec has been met? Is there a
"seal of approval" that has to be obtained from Ford? I'm
curious why more companies (such as Redline, Amsoil, etc.)
don't make specific claims with regards to OEM specs. What
have you done that the others have not bothered to do?

Thanks for your time and attention,

Roger B
Wichita, KS

And here's the quick response:

Originally posted by Royal Purple:

Roger,

Thanks for your email regarding the Ford MTX57 5 Speed Front Wheel Drive transmission in your 1996 Ford Contour.

We have tested the Synchromax in this Ford World Car platform in Europe for several years through our Italian distributor. The Ford spec calls for a GL-3 rated gear oil in a synthetic 75W90 formulation. A GL-3 rated gear oil is not really a gear oil at all in that it does not contain any EP additives like you would find in a EP gear oil used in a differential. See the attached API description of GL ratings.

The Synchromax is a slightly lighter viscosity fluid than the Ford product but also contains our Synerlec additive package which gives the oil film 300% more film pressure to resist metal to metal than a GL-3 oil but still allows the synchronizers to function correctly and in this case, more efficiently making for smoother shift quality.

No, the Synchromax is not a Ford certified fluid meeting this particular specification - to do that - it would have to be pretty much an exact copy of it - so it would perform no better. But we are not claiming it is a warranty product, only that we recommend it for this particular application. If you want the OEM fluid in your 9+ year old car - then the Motorcraft fluid is right for you. I suspect that you've upgraded the tires, the shocks, the brakes, maybe the audio system, why not upgrade the fluids?

The reason the Ford Motorcraft product is so pricey - it's not a better product, it's just going through more levels of marketing. The lube blender sells it to Ford Europe (or North America) at a markup. Ford then distributes it to the Different divisions (at a markup) who then distribute it to the District level (at a markup) which then goes to the dealership (at a markup) who then sells it to you at 21 / quart. It started as a 3-4 / quart product with 5 people making 35-50% markup.

Attached is a press release of another Ford application using the Synchromax in a Tremec 5 speed with higher horsepower that I thought you might find interesting.

David

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Wow they actually have experience testing it in an MTX-75! Nice. I'm putting some in a car I'm doing a clutch job on this week. I'll report back on shift quality. I don't know what's in it and I doubt he does either.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Wow they actually have experience testing it in an MTX-75! Nice. I'm putting some in a car I'm doing a clutch job on this week. I'll report back on shift quality. I don't know what's in it and I doubt he does either.

I LOVE the stuff.

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W

What!!! An aftermarket fluid without the the Ford Rating or approval...and without any qualification other than Royal Purple recommends it? Awefully brave there aren't you? I mean, That isn't saying anything more than Redline said but now its good enough?

I'm not saying you are wrong to put it in, just pointing out the obvious questions that a shrewd person reading 400+ posts would have....

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by pole120:

I LOVE the stuff.

Funny.

People said that with:

1.)Fresh ATF
2.)The Cocktail
3.)Redline MTL

What will they be saying in six months to a year when the first trans blows using it?
Let me tell you...it will go something like the first 39 pages of this thread.

(something smells like....)

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
C
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
C
Wow I now have a headache after reading the first 30 pages of this post. So with that said can someone bring me up to date on this post? Has there been any conclusions on this, did those test results ever come back, were they posted?

I think I have come to a conclusion though... I'm not going to run any oil so there! ... ...

haha oh so funny

-Mike 98 Contour SVT Toreador Red #49 of 6535 Built on 3/25/97 WR Headers, Borla Cat-Back, Torsen T2 LSD, K&N Short Ram, S-AFC and Focus Shift Tower 85 Camaro 1969 358ci, 97 TA interior, 91 Z28 GrdEfx and Aero Wing 255rwhp
#1380396 10/04/05 04:45 AM
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
poop stinks!

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by Royal Purple:

Roger,

Thanks for your email regarding the Ford MTX57 5 Speed Front Wheel Drive transmission in your 1996 Ford Contour.

We have tested the Synchromax in this Ford World Car platform in Europe for several years through our Italian distributor. The Ford spec calls for a GL-3 rated gear oil in a synthetic 75W90 formulation. 1A GL-3 rated gear oil is not really a gear oil at all in that it does not contain any EP additives like you would find in a EP gear oil used in a differential. See the attached API description of GL ratings.

2The Synchromax is a slightly lighter viscosity fluid than the Ford product but also contains our Synerlec additive package which gives the oil film 300% more film pressure to resist metal to metal than a GL-3 oil but still allows the synchronizers to function correctly and in this case, more efficiently making for smoother shift quality.

David Canitz
Tech Services Manager
Royal Purple Ltd
1 Royal Purple Lane
Porter, TX 77365

I really hate to bring this back up, but didn't Terry point out that the EP additives is what he feels was partly to blame for causing all the goo?

Originally posted by TH from FCO post:
"...don't get hung up on the viscosity of the lubes here...the MTL appears to have the same additives as a hypoid gear oil that is designed for extreme pressure,which the MTX75 does NOT need. The fact that the MTL carries debris all round the trans appears to be the issue. Just smell MTL and smell a hypoid gear oil...same,then take a smell of Ford XT-M5-QS.... the Ford lube does not come close to the others in smell. This is an additive issue.... and again an MTX75 does not need ANY 'EP' additives as the MTX75 has none of it's gears with a hypoid gear 'cut'. Also woth noting is that an 'EP' lube with a Quaife or Torsen will REDUCE the effectiveness of the ATB diff. An ATB diff balances torque to each side by the friction 'end load' of the spiral cut diff pinions pressing on the diff carrier case. Using an 'EP" lube will reduce the end thrust friction of these pinions on the case and affetct the torque bias...not good."

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by warmonger:

What!!! An aftermarket fluid without the the Ford Rating or approval...and without any qualification other than Royal Purple recommends it? Awefully brave there aren't you? I mean, That isn't saying anything more than Redline said but now its good enough?

Because they've actually tested it on an MTX-75 and can back it up. On top of Terry recommending it. I listen to the guy building my transmission.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Page 54 of 74 1 2 52 53 54 55 56 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard