Originally posted by todras:
Todays news...

MTL Sulphur content 0.5125%, FMC Sulphur content 0.3496%

Whats your take on the sulphur and additive contents?

The MTL sample appears, with the amounts of phosphorus and zinc + sulphur, to be more of an EP oil than the FMC.

Could this cause the black/oxide/paste we have seen?

It could if you match the proportions of the additives in the FMC against it.

What about the base oil type, 20W on the MTL Vs 15W/40
on the FMC?

That did catch our attention, it could be that the 20W oil has had more detergent additives used, that could explain why you have seen debris carried in suspension Vs 'dropping out' when FMC is used.

If this was your car what would you use and would you be concerned about the black etc?

OK, from what I have seen I'd agree that I would try to match the Ford lube as close as I could to any aftermarket lube before I would use it.

Could this be a 'batch' or mixing problem, some MTL batches are overdosed with additives and out of their own spec, say a QC issue??

Possible but as I said the MTL appears to be more of an EP lube than the FMC, as we don't know the ins and outs of how/who/where the MTL is blended and QC controls etc it's hard to say.

Thanks for all the info over the past weeks Ryan, I'll leave you in peace.

So... These results and converstion following, tend to support Terrys theory, as outlined in this thread which was originally posted over at FCO and copied over here...

"...don't get hung up on the viscosity of the lubes here...the MTL appears to have the same additives as a hypoid gear oil that is designed for extreme pressure,which the MTX75 does NOT need. The fact that the MTL carries debris all round the trans appears to be the issue. Just smell MTL and smell a hypoid gear oil...same,then take a smell of Ford XT-M5-QS.... the Ford lube does not come close to the others in smell. This is an additive issue.... and again an MTX75 does not need ANY 'EP' additives as the MTX75 has none of it's gears with a hypoid gear 'cut'. Also woth noting is that an 'EP' lube with a Quaife or Torsen will REDUCE the effectiveness of the ATB diff. An ATB diff balances torque to each side by the friction 'end load' of the spiral cut diff pinions pressing on the diff carrier case. Using an 'EP" lube will reduce the end thrust friction of these pinions on the case and affetct the torque bias...not good."

I would still like to see some lab results of MTL and Honey, taken from a freshly drained box. Just for the sake of knowing what actually is happening to the fluid and the metals inside the tranny during use of each. To some, this may seem like beating a dead horse, but I think it is really needed for this discussion.

I will add a hugh thanks to Terry for taking the time and initiative to actually run these tests and tear into those boxes, earlier in the thread.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime