Print Thread
Page 46 of 74 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 73 74
#1380309 09/22/05 02:56 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by Big Jim:
The testing would be even more meaningful if they would have sent a used sample from the failed trans. I understand that it is too late for that now, but it would have been very useful as it would have given a better idea about how and if it failed as well as given additional information about how the transmission failed. It would be really interesting to know just what that black residue is from.

I still have my used MTL for testing...
My diff went boom.

Morbid still has his I think...

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
IMHO I dont see any reason yet that says MTL is definately bad. And before the MTL-haters jump my case and say "look at the pics", I did, and yes, they look bad. But there are way too many other variables here. These are excellent observations, and I do think there is serious reason for concern and its excellent we're addressing this here. But as of yet, there isn't anything that should be accepted as gospel except that Ford Honey is so far the best fluid to run, and Royal Purple Synchromax is a perfectly fine alternative (that conforms to that ford specification).

It should also be noted that so far, the only trannies to excibit this sludge are trannies that have been running MTL, but not ALL trannies that have been running MTL show this. This is what warrents further investigation before saying "MTL is the problem, its bad dont use it".

So far, according to the lab results, it would seem ATF < MTL < Ford Honey.

We need more data relating to what is actually causing that sludge.

#1380311 09/22/05 03:45 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
The testing would be even more meaningful if they would have sent a used sample from the failed trans. I understand that it is too late for that now, but it would have been very useful as it would have given a better idea about how and if it failed as well as given additional information about how the transmission failed. It would be really interesting to know just what that black residue is from.

I still have my used MTL for testing...
My diff went boom.

Morbid still has his I think...

Why don't you check with Blackstone (or another reputable lab) and see if they can analize your old fluid? It would be interesting to see how much different it is compared to the virgin sample that Terry sent in. You probably don't need the more expensive sulpher content testing, but maybe Blackstone could give you guidance.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
If anything, I think this observation that some have made about their "MTL" not looking like what others have described kind of brings into question whether or not everyone's got or are talking about the same product. Factory mixup? Who knows?

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
I checked my MTL fresh out of the bottle yesterday and it DID look like a pinkish amber color. When draining it and pouring in the new stuff neither Marky or I noticed any red color though. Could have just been the light outside that absorbed some of the coloring. No big deal either way, most importantly, it appeared clean and without any gunk, sludge or metallic particles.

1999 Blk/Tan CSVT #654 - SOLD 2003 Suzuki SV650s
#1380314 09/22/05 08:12 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
If I hadn't known it was transmission fluid, I might have suspected it to be quite tasty. Seriously, it looked like cherry cough syrup.

i always found cough syrup to be rather disgusting

Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
. It even smelled kinda nice (not like Faygo though).

I've also always wanted to invent the "smell-o-tron 5000" that would digitize smells send them through the internet to your nostril for delight or disgust. This would help cure the smell discussion.

seriously tho, my MTL didn't smell bad and was pinkish amber colored as well. I could drain it for inspection but It's only got 4k on it. But if anyone wants to sent it to a lab, I'll drain it and ship it for scientific reasons.

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
#1380315 09/22/05 09:40 PM
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
How much does blackstone charge for analysis? I may send off mine too just for everyones sake if its not expensive. If its expensive, Ill probably leave it in for a while longer since its not that old.

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
#1380316 09/22/05 09:45 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
It's probably around $25.00. That is what they charge for engine oil. That doesn't include the extra testing that Terry requested for Sulpher.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1380317 09/22/05 10:09 PM
M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
hmm... if it's only $25, then I"ll try to get a sample of mine to them.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
#1380318 09/22/05 10:35 PM
B
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
B
Originally posted by morbid:
hmm... if it's only $25, then I"ll try to get a sample of mine to them.

+1

Checking garage tonight to see if it wasn't poured into my storage barrel

Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Can u ask him to measure his shaft and compare it to your shaft?

Page 46 of 74 1 2 44 45 46 47 48 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard