Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by morbid:
Ok... I would guess that the darkness and smell of the MTL is ONLY from failing/failed tranny and/or differential. I've changed my MTL 2 times (about 10,000-12,000 miles apart) and each time it looked almost like new -- no smell, cherry red, and no metal flakes. I just changed out the MTL for a 3rd time about 2 weeks ago. My diff began failing yesterday and I drained it when I got home. It stank like hypoid, was dark brown/red... and was filled with metal flakes (looked like a ricer paint job). The drain plug was even gouged and scraped

And another MTL user bites the dust. Anymore? Why are you changing it so often. Must have $ to throw around on $10 a qt gear lube. As stated a million times. Of course it will look good coming out. The sludge isn't going to pour out in it! This is getting so old hat it isn't funny. The only reason this thread is still going is because 2 respected members know everything. What about one "disrespected" member with the means/education to tell you what not to use? Guess that means nothing even though all the evidence backs his claims and more comes to light as this thread grows. He builds most of the performance tranny's on here. Haven't heard of any of them failing either. Why no one listens to him when he tells you what's going on with the ones running MTL is way beyond me. He shows documented pics, spends $200 on independent lab tests and communicates with experts/engineers in the chemical engineering field gathering their take on the issues. I missed where others are doing that.

This is pretty off base. Terry knows a lot but he is no lubrication expert nor a materials expert. In fact, when I was TA at the University of Arizona one of the classes was MSE 331, the materials classes our department taught to Mechanical Engineers! This complemented strength of materials classes but also showed me just how little the average ME and EE knows about materials. No slight to them but it isn't their field. They learn a lot over the years but still....
So you and Terry are dabbling in fields that you are not expert in and we are supposed to take it all like gospel?
I am not lubrication expert and not a ME. I'm a MSE! So that is why I feel like pointing out a bunch of the errors in these assumptions that are/were made about the materials.

The damn stock diff has case hardened material. This stuff degrades and wears down with stock ATF which you say is better than MTL. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT? If it will wear out with the ATF yet you don't blame the ATF, HOW DO YOU BLAME THE MTL?
I'll reiterate again what I told you in PMs:

This simply appears to be a case of bias against MTL and other NON Ford materials. If the recommended Ford ATF (mercon) was so darn good then why were there so many MTX failures with it? Why then is it NOT the fault of the ATF?

I think Terry pointed out that the stock diff was a very sorry part and he was very right on that one.

Until you guys start addressing all the issues before you cry wolf the no one is going to be able to take you seriously.
This is like giving someone a hot pepper and have them die of a heart attack, then blaming the pepper.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black