If we were to look at this as we would engine oil, what would we conclude? We all buy an API SM oil of the appropriate viscosity, be it Mobil 1, Castrol, Pennzoil, etc. In order to get that API certification any candidate oil has to successfully complete the same ASTM tests. Therefore ANY engine oil of the appropriate grade and API certification (as defined by the vehicle manufacturer) is acceptable for use - who makes it doesn't matter. Some may be better than others, but they all met a certain minimum level of acceptance. The choice of the brand (Mobil, Castrol) is left to the consumer - but you should feel confident that the oil will not harm your car.
The Ford honey is in fact an API GL-4 gear oil (I did not know this prior to Big Jim's post - apologies for not searching for this earlier; I assumed that since no one made a post previously to this effect that it was unknown what the Ford honey really was). If Redline MTL, RP Syncromax, and Pennzoil Synchromesh meet the API GL-4 guidelines, and Ford is recommending a GL-4 oil, then they ALL should be acceptable oils. PERIOD. Some may be better than others, but any one of them is acceptable. The only caveat I would throw out is that if Ford has done something drastically different than the competition in the design of the transmission that it requires a special formulation, then maybe the Ford honey is the only logical choice (I seriously doubt that they have). I, for one, now feel much better about MTL after learning the honey is a GL-4 oil. I think at this point I will leave it in and check after 5-6K miles.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me