Page 33 of 74 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 73 74
#1380179 09/15/05 06:38 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

Stryped...you have ZERO credibility.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Originally posted by todras:
Do we have pics of what they said they've encountered? No. I don't know what they have seen or done. I've seen the transmissions that I've posted pics of and have been told what they run.

Then I don't think we should discredit any of the more respected members of this community, because they haven't shown pictures of their transmissions. I think Tom and Greg both would be the FIRST people to come on here and tell people of any negative findings, as they have both proven to be here to HELP fellow CEG'ers. Knowing that Greg switched from MTL to another brand of tranny fluid, I'm lead to believe that he had no buildup that the 2 cases you have apart did, or he'd probably be telling people to avoid MTL! Unless Greg works for Redline, he hasn't had a reason to NOT tell us to avoid it.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Answer me this then. If the MTX-75 at one time was spec'd to run ATF. Then why run MTL? States on the back of an MTL bottle..."For transmissions recommending an ATF, Red Line D4 ATF should be used." So why are people using MTL versus Redline D4 ATF?

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Answer me this then. If the MTX-75 at one time was spec'd to run ATF. Then why run MTL? States on the back of an MTL bottle..."For transmissions recommending an ATF, Red Line D4 ATF should be used." So why are people using MTL
versus Redline D4 ATF?

Perhaps because Ford changed the spec from ATF to gear oil? That sounds to me like either one could be correct, but the gear oil would be preferred. After all, ATF was the spec for five model years.

About black residue when using Mercon. Has anyone paid attention to what NEW Mercon looks like? Pour a little in a manner that you can see light through the pour, and notice the BLACK that is in it. It gives Mercon a sort of a smokey color. That is part of the additive package and part of what makes Mercon (and Dexron) unique from other trans fluids. ATF+3 doesn't have that. It is optically clearer. Could part of the black residue you see left behind be that black additive?

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
Answer me this then. If the MTX-75 at one time was spec'd to run ATF. Then why run MTL? States on the back of an MTL bottle..."For transmissions recommending an ATF, Red Line D4 ATF should be used." So why are people using MTL versus Redline D4 ATF?

I couldn't tell you Todd. Like I said, I'm not using the MTL, or any Redline product for that matter. My only point was that there's an awful lot of finger pointing going on in this thread, with less than substantial evidence to backup ANYONE'S claims.
I think both sides have presented very valid points, and I'm not one to go jumping on any bandwagons. This will all work itself out, and I'll be interested to see what the test results conclude.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by pole120:
People don't start asking questions on what you should run. You're going to have to figure that out yourself.

Then don't make coments about our descision.

Can i get a reply on this?? \/

edit:

I just picked up a ford TSB that states

*portions omitted*

"the new fluid (XT-M5-QS(1 L/quart)) is fully compatable wit hearlier (1995-2000 model year) transaxles and fluid. It is recomended that this new synthetic fluid(XT-M5-QS(1 L/quart)) be used exclusively in all model year MTX-75 transaxles when filling a full drqained unit, or when toppin off fluid level."

one question, there is no mentiuon of a "friction modifier", and can't recall what i all read.

is it not needed as opposed to what was stated earlier??

Originally posted by DemonSVT:

Syncromesh works perfectly as is while Ford's needs the LSD additive. Advantage Syncromesh.

Use some reason: Ford does NOT say to use FM with the honey. The TSB calls for Ford Honey straight up. Someone else is suggesting you might want to use FM.

You decide: follow Ford's official documenatation or a car enthusiasts advice.

As of this posting, there is no such thing as a product that says "meets or excedes specificates for Ford Honey". Which is the fluid Ford says should be used in this transmission. So I'm going to use Ford Honey and be cool with it.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Perhaps because Ford changed the spec from ATF to gear oil?

What? Is Ford Honey a gear oil?

The only documentation produced has said ATF or Ford Honey, when/where has it been said to use a gear oil?

T
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
T
I just got off the phone with Steve at Tousley Ford. He said, and he isnt a fluid guru, but he told me I should be running Ford Honey. And for $14 Im gonna switch it out.
-tropictour

2000 Contour SVT Tropic Green SHO Shop CAI Bassani 1999 Contour SE BAT Kit
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Ryan, I think the Ford Honey meets the specs of a GL-4 gear oil. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. But your right, there is nothing or no one who will not reccomend it.

Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
My only point was that there's an awful lot of finger pointing going on in this thread, with less than substantial evidence to backup ANYONE'S claims.
I think both sides have presented very valid points, and I'm not one to go jumping on any bandwagons. This will all work itself out, and I'll be interested to see what the test results conclude.

I 100% agree with you.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Perhaps because Ford changed the spec from ATF to gear oil?

What? Is Ford Honey a gear oil?

The only documentation produced has said ATF or Ford Honey, when/where has it been said to use a gear oil?

Somewhere in the distant past of CEG I posted the spec sheet for Ford "honey". IIRC it said that it was a GL4 85W95 gear oil. I don't remember clearly what viscosity it is, but I do remember clearly that it was GL4. That would have probably been three or four years ago.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
Page 33 of 74 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard