Originally posted by RogerB:

I missed that part of my 96 manual last night, but it's also out of date.

I'm frankly not interested in anybody's "recommendations" right now. (Well, I appreciate them, but I've already read them.) I'm looking for documentation.

Either way, I'll be changing my fluid as soon as I can, as it is nearing 75k on the original fluid. I would just like to see what the factory perceives as a valid reason to service.

[rant]As for "recommendations," I've been involved in these discussions before with Terry, and when I asked for clarification from Terry on whether or not to use the FM with the honey, I got nothing but silence. Maybe he felt he already answered that somewhere else, or he was sick of saying it, or he just didn't see it. Then, IIRC, I got some other yahoos chiming in, and there are still people "over there" recommending ZL-7 with everything. Meanwhile I've got the service tech at the local dealer telling me there's no reason to ever service the MTX. I've had it with the circle jerk. Lemmings, my arse. The 3 or 4 people I respect the most can't even agree on stuff around here, and half the time we get "Oops...that wasn't right" a couple years later. It pays to be slow to act, sometimes, and this thread is proof of that.

Sorry. Had to vent. [/rant]

What do you want documentation on? We already know what the manual states. I think even VW's say no service to trannys and coolant. I'm not keeping mine in my car forever. Things age and break down. Tranny fluid isn't miracle fluid. Just like oil should be changed every 3-5k. Roger you're a smart guy. When do you think it would be time to change out? In the 30-50k range. That's maybe 3 times in the vehicles average life. You don't need Ford to tell you what common sense tells you. And who said 'oops that wasn't right'? Not Terry. He's said the same thing for years.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me