#1380129 09/15/05 12:47 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by warmonger:

***section omitted***

On a side note, what lubrication can I use to protect it well?
Specifically, I used ATF initially because it was what the manufacturer
called for but the noise was very high from day one so tried other
fluids. I had good luck with Redline MTL and I wanted to make sure that
this fluid was good for protecting the differential. It is recommended
by Redline for my type of transmission but I wanted to be sure as I read
a rumor that MTL would cause oxidation of the metal on the differential.
If you can confirm or deny that Redline MTL will help/harm the diff I
would appreciate it. If you aren't aware of the specs on MTL you can
review the specs from Redlines website at www.redlineoil.com under tech.
If there is any other lubricant that you feel is better then please let
me know.

Thanks,
Tom

Reply from the Manager of Quality and project engineering himself:

Originally posted by Torsen:

Hello Tom,

Glad to see everything is working well!

***section regarding personal information omitted***

The T-2 unit is designed to run in just about anything so the manufacturer's
suggested ATF is what I would have told you to run with as we do for all
requests regarding axle or transmission fluids for the Torsen. We do get
emails from vehicle owners saying that they run their Torsen units in a wide
variety of fluids and I have not heard anything back that has been negative,
especially with the Redline MTL. That does not mean however that oxidation
does not occur, just that we have not heard about it!

Unfortunately, because of legal issues we cannot suggest a lubricant for
your transmission since we don't have the technical background to make such
suggestions or claims. I realize that this does not help much but I hope
you can at least appreciate the difficulty we face in suggesting one brand
over another and the technical expertise required to do so!

Best regards,

Manager of Quality, Project Engineering, & IT/MIS
Toyoda-Koki Automotive Torsen North America, Inc.
Company Website: http://www.torsen.com

I want to highlight the fact that he specifically points out that he has had no negative reports, especially about Redline Oil.
If my diff were oxidizing and not getting lubrication because of a fluid I used I would report it to Torsen so that they would verify and have a warning to protect customers and themselves from future warranty issues.

Upon further contact with Redline, they have pointed out that there is just no way to know all the contributing factors in these situations so far posted here. They have NOT said that anyone's opinion is right or wrong. They have only taken the stand that their product will not cause the oxidation and sludge buildup reported and that it will provide superior shifting and protect the components.

And I'm guessing they haven't had any reports on MTX-75's due to the fact there aren't but a handful of people running it. What do you think they are going to say. Yea our fluids do oxidize certain metals. He states to run what the manf. says. Very smart guy. I'd do the same... oh wait I do. Our spec is Honey now not ATF but you get the point. Run what the manf. states. Then you can argue but I have an LSD in it now. Yea what does Ford recommend for those in Europe the come from the factory with them. THE SAME THING!

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1380130 09/15/05 12:49 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Stazi:

Soon after I broke in the trans with ATF, I switched to MTL and have about 20,000+ miles on it so it'll be interesting to see what has happened with the fluid and any wear particles therein, since then.

I don't think their will be particles per say though. To really tell you're going to have to crack it open to see the tell tale signs. The sludge isn't going to come out with the fluid.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1380131 09/15/05 12:49 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Is that the same cougar manual that has all the misprints and errors in it?

Wow, just wow. Ok.

Anywho when Terry gets Blackbirds trans I'll be taking pics of that too. Don't know why I even bother since I've posted a ton of pure evidence but no one can see the forest for the trees.

#1380132 09/15/05 01:08 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
FWIW when I drained my MTL it smelled actually quite nice (lol). Seriously, it was not offensive at all, I thought to myself, hmm, not bad, I like it No nasty smell in my MTL after 25k miles.

#1380133 09/15/05 01:14 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by todras:

Wow, just wow. Ok.

Be a little open minded Todd, isn't that what we're asking everyone to do here? That doesn't sound so impossible... look at all the contour manuals that all say straight up ATF. Same tranny. Look at the facts: the only manual that says to add FM is this PDF we're referencing on the internet.... all the print manuals everyons's looking at say straight ATF.... What are you going to put your trust in, a single PDF on the internet or everyone's owners manuals?

Thats just a counter point. It would be interesting to hear from some cougar owners and see what their manuals say and to verify the accuracy of that PDF since we have a lot of different cases here.

Someone mentioned the Mondeo's in europe, anyone know what Ford has spec'd for those that come with a LSD from the factory? Straight up ford honey?

#1380134 09/15/05 01:23 PM
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H

Now that you are bringing up how the FM corrodes the metal at the point of high pressure I beginning to wonder even more about the amount of wear that was caused by it before hand!

Correction - don't confuse the FM with the EP additives. The EP additives are what cause the corrosion.

I will contact friends at Lubrizol today and get their expert opinion and advice.

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
#1380135 09/15/05 01:27 PM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
FWIW, Terry's getting different lubes analyzed and expects results in a few days.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
#1380136 09/15/05 01:33 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Originally posted by todras:

Wow, just wow. Ok.

Be a little open minded Todd, isn't that what we're asking everyone to do here? That doesn't sound so impossible... look at all the contour manuals that all say straight up ATF. Same tranny. Look at the facts: the only manual that says to add FM is this PDF we're referencing on the internet.... all the print manuals everyons's looking at say straight ATF.... What are you going to put your trust in, a single PDF on the internet or everyone's owners manuals?

Thats just a counter point. It would be interesting to hear from some cougar owners and see what their manuals say and to verify the accuracy of that PDF since we have a lot of different cases here.

Someone mentioned the Mondeo's in europe, anyone know what Ford has spec'd for those that come with a LSD from the factory? Straight up ford honey?

I'm going to visit my brother this weekend and I'll open up his 01 Cougar manual and see what it says. This is just a pdf of a 99 manual. Yea I'm sure it was fabricated. How could you just mistakenly print that? Yes the Cougar S didn't make it to production but was extremely close. Big deal. So everything in the manual is a mistake because they had Cougar S info?

Also owner manuals can be DL'd from here www.fleet.ford.com

The 99 Cougar manual is the only one that states to add 2 oz of FM.

#1380137 09/15/05 01:40 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
There's no need to be sarcastic.

#1380138 09/15/05 02:04 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
My 96 manual also says only "Mercon ATF." It also says nothing about changing the fluid in the MTX.

With so much confusion, speculation, and technical mumbo-jumbo to sift through, all I want to know is, "What is the current Ford spec? and why?"

Someone show me where Ford has come out and said that I need to change my fluid in my 96 Contour, and that when I do, what I should use. TSB number? What does the "official" service manual say, and what is the most current version?

Then I want that information stickied in a separate post so that those less adventurous of us who just want the darn info can get it quickly and leave all you Einsteins and Edisons alone.

There's a lot of info in here but none of it is controlled.

Last edited by RogerB; 09/15/05 02:13 PM.

Function before fashion. '96 Contour SE "Toss the Contour into a corner, and it's as easy to catch as a softball thrown by a preschooler." -Edmunds, 1998
Page 28 of 74 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard