Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
This is [bleep] funny! I'm going with Terry's advice. If I'm going to be a lemming at least I am follwing the one building my goddamn tranny.

I suppose I am a lemming for following Demon's advice on my 3L too.

Yep. What about that 3L, was Demon all wrong on that one too???? You know Terry

The point is Terry is a transmission expert, not a fluid expert. Read the letter from Torsen, they are powertrain experts and they don't claim to be fluid experts either but they know how to build the parts.
Terry's advice was to use FM and many knowledgeable people have warned about that over the years, not me I might add as I don't know. Still I wouldn't blame Terry in the least if it is wrong. I am not a fluids expert but I am pretty well educated in metallurgy and Materials science. I can tell you properties of steels and how it is made, heat treatments, etc. My point is it is up to us to find out for ourselves, not just blindly follow advice. If don't know and don't want to find out then put in the fluid that Ford recommends and leave it to curious people to find out.
So I suggest that until we find a real fluid expert then we hold off on the lemming attitudes and go by the fluid specifications recommended by the manufacturer.
Ford doesn't say you have to use their products as that is against the law. They publish the specifications for their products and it is up to you as the consumer to use what they tell you or match the lube specs. FM isn't one them by the way!

I think we really need some IR spectroscopy of Ford Honey versus Redline MTL. This is the easiest way I know of seeing if they are chemically similar. We must have something to compare the MTL with and if the Honey is the new fluid of choice then that is the one to compare it to.

Anyone in 1st or 2nd semester Organic Chemistry right now? When I was in O-Chem we took gasoline samples from around the city and compared. We could tell the major components of the fuels and which stations were lying on their premium grades and which weren't. An oil will be just as easy to examine.
If we combine that with the Lab Results Terry is getting done then I think we can get a good picture.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black