Print Thread
Page 26 of 74 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 73 74
#1380109 09/15/05 12:04 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by todras:
I was looking back at some old posts and found this one my Demon.

Personally I would go with a known Full synthetic ATF (Like Mobil 1) over the "unknown" synthetic mix of the Ford honey colored fluid.
Especially for 1/3 (or less) the cost!

& another from here .

Nope. Ford's price is just stupid.
In other words. Typical Ford...

Mobil 1 ATF & 2oz Ford FM (half bottle)

I almost pissed myself. And on the price aspect. How much is a transmission worth to you?

& the very best post by demon.

Nice!

And to think it's only been 3+ years and we have found out more information since then that may make that outdated advice. Given the circumstances I think those were the best options back then for out community because people hadn't begun to use the high quality products available in the sport industry. It was still a family car then and under warranty so to speak. Not so anymore.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1380110 09/15/05 12:09 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
I just noticed that I had a typo (I know, I have a lot of them). I typed Fod Honey instead of Ford Honey. The post was so big that the system did not allow me to edit it.

Like I said much earlier, this thread has taken on a life of it's own.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1380111 09/15/05 12:17 AM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I really don't have more to say on my end. I think everything is laid out for others to judge. I'm just going to post this though.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1380112 09/15/05 12:23 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by akrump47:
This thread has gone from most worthwhile to most inconclusive evar! All I would like to know is what fluid to run that will prevent my 3rd gear syncros from destroying themselves a 3RD time in the future!

P.S. - warmonger, I'll PM you if I still decide to get rid of my MTL.

I hate to say it but the MTL gives the best shifting results of anything I have tried. It is so good for shifting that people with binding shift forks and previously ginding synchros reported that the problems went away with the MTL.
The oxidation of the case and the diff is a different matter and not related to shifting.
In fact, lets look at the actual facts:
The only issue is someone blew a stock diff on MTL ( go figure ) and then it looked like a lube problem.
Then we look at a TH built trans and see all kinds of dark metallic film over everything and sludge on the magnet. Now you have the same information we do, make your assumptions and make a decision!

Everything else is just opinion and opinions are like A-holes, everyone's got one and they all stink when something goes wrong.

war......

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1380113 09/15/05 12:39 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by RawDirte':
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
Get your facts straight. (sorry forgot who I was asking )

Lets try to keep this thread informational okay. It wasnt stickied for you to throw your snotty little comments in here or there. Some people are trying to learn from this...

Umm, it isn't like he isn't defending himself... Maybe we shouldn't actually tell Todras not to be sarcastic, nor Demon to be snotty. That is between them and I think they've both been here longer than most.

#1380114 09/15/05 12:51 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Is that the same cougar manual that has all the misprints and errors in it?

Yes it is true, ever heard of a Cougar-S? They were going to use a bigger and better engine in it, maybe it was the SVT engine , no wait I think it was supposed to be the 3.0.
Whatever. Anyway the manual actually had all the stats printed up with that information and they never made ANY of it. It was a mistake.
I've never said anything about the friction modifier yet but I wouldn't trust ANYTHING in those cougar manuals as there were too many discrepancies.
Don't believe it? Ask around.

BTW, there are many different friction modifiers but MTL and certain ATF's are designed with them in mind.
That is a big difference then adding something meant for a Gear Oil in a rear end to an ATF based lube.
I'm not saying it is wrong...yet. I'm just pointing out that this wouldn't be a good leg to argue from.

#1380115 09/15/05 01:15 AM
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
for the record, both my 99 and my 2000 contour owners manual say the same thing.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
#1380116 09/15/05 01:18 AM
T
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by JB1:
for the record, both my 99 and my 2000 contour owners manual say the same thing.

And by the same thing, you mean the cougar's manual?

2000 Mystique LS Duratec 2.5L MTX
#1380117 09/15/05 01:22 AM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
That link won't work for me. Can someone cut and paste it here?

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1380118 09/15/05 01:30 AM
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
Having followed this thread since it's inception and reading all the information presented here, I felt like it was time to add to the discussion (hopefully something worthwhile). Fortunately for me I work with a 100 or so engineers who develop powertrain components (read transmissions) for earth moving equipment (Cat if you want to know). I talked to a very well respected individual who is something of an expert on fluids. I explained the premise behind this thread (the FM and EP additives) and learned this from him.

FM additives RARELY (and he emphasized rarely) are used to increase the coefficient of friction of an oil. The FM's are PRIMARILY used to decrease friction. The coefficient of friction of an oil is a function of the base stock - trying to increase the friction is difficult at best.

So why use FM's? Well, for an automatic transmission it depends on how you design your trans. John Deere, for instance, likes to run a slippery fluid; i.e. lots of FM. So how do they pass all the torque through the clutches? They oversize things; heavier springs, larger diameter clutch discs, etc. Their philosophy is that their trans. will work w/ any fluid. Cat is a little different. We tend to make things small to maximize power density. Therefore we typically do not put FM's in our transmission oils. In passenger car automatic transmissions, the manufacturer uses FM's to balance torque transmission and the smoothness of the shift. Since each manufacturer doesn't design their transmission the same way, it is highly likely and probable that different fluids (with different amounts/types of FM) are required to produce the coefficient of friction that works best in their particular transmissions. Too slick of an oil can cause premature wear due to excessive slippage; to sticky and shifting may be harsh. Based upon this information I read that the FM does NOT help the syncros bite better (yes, it was probably said some time ago, but I'm saying it again). If it does anything at all I could see some benefit of FM's with LSD's (depending upon the design). I don't believe based upon what I have been told that the FM is needed. Todras' post of the Cougar owners manual muddies the water on this one.

The EP additives work by essentially corroding the surface of contacting parts when the film pressures become high. Don't ask me why/how but the wearing of the surface due to corrosion helps reduce friction (if u want to know more PM me and I'll get more specific). So it would not be a surprise to see that if a transmission used a fluid with EP additives a build up of wear debris in the case were observed. Without a filter in the trans. to catch the debris, it is not surprising therefore to see the sludge/debris build up. If Redline MTL has EP additives then it is possible that we could see some corrosion effects. If Terry and/or Ford say we don't need the EP additives, then I would question why I should MTL.

I went to Redline's website and read the info on MTL, and NO WHERE does it state that they add a FM. Redline web page They simply state they have a higher coefficient of friction than comparable fluids. Interestingly if I'm not mistaken, I saw some posts where it was stated that Redline did not recommend MTL for this (Contour) application. Anyone know why? I found another web page where they recommend D4ATF plus 1.5 oz.s of Redline limited slip friction modifier. Are you as confused as I am now?

What am I gonna do? I don't know yet. I just put MTL in my trans. 5 months ago, but I'm questioning whether or not I should change. I'm leaning toward the Ford honey or maybe the RP syncromax. Maybe the Pennzoil synchromesh, too. More research for me now. If we seriously want some highly technical info, I will contact some friends at Lubrizol (add pack mfr). I'm rambling - I'll shut up.

Flame suit on

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
Page 26 of 74 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard