Print Thread
Page 21 of 74 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 73 74
#1380059 09/14/05 04:38 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:

I was noticing in the past few weeks that the ocassionaly grinding into 3rd and the slightly sloppy 3rd gear shift has completely disappeard gradually since putting in Ford Honey with XL3.

This is hardly scientific, but an observation of my car only. I have about 40,000 miles on the fluid now, and it was still acting up a litte at 30,000 miles. I have some ATF+4 that I intended to use when this fluid hits 60,000 miles, but now I'm thinking I'll probably return to Ford Honey, but next time I'll use XL7 (it wasn't available when I last changed fluid).

The car has 210,000 miles with the original clutch and the trans has never been out of the car.

Bah! Why would you run an ATF fluid in a car's tranny that's designed for it? And you actually have not pulled the trans due to wear?! Amazing.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1380060 09/14/05 05:17 PM
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Obviously you did not follow the posts a few years back when I introduced ATF+3 to this group. I studied it as well as I could, including asking the oil company reps that called on me to see if they could get some technical advice as to if there would likely be a problems with ATF+3 with it's higher level of friction modifier.

Although they would not come right out and endorse it, they did say that it would probably work fine. After all, it was used in Chrysler product manual transmissions. Much to my surprise, the shifting quality improved tremendously over using Mercon.

I continued using ATF+3 from about 45,000 miles until 150,000 miles when I installed the Ford Honey (I just checked my log, so it has been in 60,000 miles, not 40,000 as I posted a few minutes ago). Prior to using ATF+3, the fluid change using Mercon improved shifting somewhat, but the improvement was short lived.

The immediate impression of the Ford honey + XL3 was that there was a slight improvement over ATF+3, but not much. As time has gone on, the improvement has gradually continued to increase.

ATF+3 and ATF+4 are nearly the same, but ATF+4 has a higher synthetic blend and a greater temperature range. Both have the same level of friction modifier. Both are used on Chrysler product manual transmissions.

From what I have been able to learn, ATF+4 is very similar to Mercon V, but does have a somewhat higher level of friction modifier. Mercon V does have a higher level of friction modifier than Mercon.

Because Chrysler was slow in releasing a license for other companies to make ATF+4, Mobil, and some others, actually recommended that their Mercon V product be used in Chrysler products that called for ATF+4. This is likely to change because Chrysler recently announced that they will license others to sell ATF+4. It is interesting that Mobil is the vendor that supplies Chrysler with ATF+4.

The explanation about why friction modifier often works well in manual transmissions is that it helps the synchros clear off the oil in the mating surfaces of the synchros better, allowing better bite without being harsh. I don't know how accurate this is. There seems to be some concern that too much friction modifier may actually weaken the lubrication ability and lead to gear damage. It must be remembered though, that in it's primary role as an additive, it is used in differentials with limited slip clutch packs, where gear wear is even much more critical.

Jim Johnson 98 SVT 03 Escape Limited
#1380061 09/14/05 05:23 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by Big Jim:
Obviously you did not follow the posts a few years back when I introduced ATF+3 to this group.

I think someone missed the sarcasm in my post.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
I repeat: DO NOT use friction modifier.

I just called a ford service technician and had him verify with his documenation a couple things:

1. Friction modifier was NEVER recommended in any ford documentation for the MTX-75.

2. The Ford Friction modifier XL-3 and XL-7 both REDUCE friction. It makes the lube MORE slippery! This is contrary to popular beleif on these boards! Friction modifier may make your shifts smoother, but it is NOT going to make your synchros bite better, or live longer if it makes everything more slippery.

Now for the kicker:

As of the last 48 hours, Ford sent notice to dealerships NOT to sell friction modifier at all, anymore. There is no replacement product, it is to be disposed of, "it is not neccary for anything anymore".

I gathered this data directly from a Ford service technician at a local dealership over the course of a 30 minute phone call.

I suggest the FAQ's be updated and the how-to's edited to reflect this data.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
I'm guessing I can pick up some XL-7 today and also a year from now.

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by todras:

Good luck to you. But even if you can, why do you want to use it?

P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:

Good luck to you. But even if you can, why do you want to use it?

he's just making the point that ford will rpobobly continue to cary it.....

99 SE V6\5spd - 156 HP\157 TQ 15.166-90.84 Totaled 02/12/06 99 SVT # 1571 - 175 HP\153 TQ 14.999-91.88 Born 3/24/99 Reborn 3/18/06 Pietenpol Racing Technologies project vehicle 90 Festiva L 5spd, Blue(not for long), 103k
#1380066 09/14/05 06:14 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by akrump47:
This thread has gone from most worthwhile to most inconclusive evar! All I would like to know is what fluid to run that will prevent my 3rd gear syncros from destroying themselves a 3RD time in the future!

P.S. - warmonger, I'll PM you if I still decide to get rid of my MTL.

Everything has been presented here. You have a brain right? Decide for yourself. You're a big boy.

Looks like there's still some open ends to be tied up. Lab results from the fluid in Pete's trans? More info on the Friction Modifier, which Demon states may cause buildup? And now Ryan's post from the dealer tech. This topic seems to get more and more interesting the more I read it. Sounds like the Ford "Honey" is the safest choice though.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Why would I use it?
Because friction modifiers are used to reduce and control friction in the equipment targeted for their application. In a transmission, friction modifiers are crucial for reducing drag in the gear train. It's also responsible for reducing wear in many locations throughout the transmission. ATF fluids have lower levels of reactive additives while performance and shudder problems would seem to require higher levels. Safe, stable, non-reactive, non-sludge forming friction modifiers are desperately needed. Synthetic is so slippery it doesn't allow the synchros to spin up fast enough to make the shift.

#1380068 09/14/05 06:17 PM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Call me a sheep if you want, but I'm going to go with Terry's lead from here on out. I think he's got the insight and connections to be the best judge.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
Page 21 of 74 1 2 19 20 21 22 23 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard