Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 19 of 74 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 73 74
#1380039 09/14/05 01:29 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
We add the FFM in the Lightnings rear diff so that the clutch packs in the limited slip aren't hurt. So, I'm assuming the FFM in the MTX-75, some how helps the blocking rings...

Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Originally posted by todras:

My point is, the only reason I'm seeing people use friction modifier is because people on the CEG recommended it. I haven't seen or heard of it in any of Fords documentation or recommendations for this transmission. If it was so great, why hasn't FORD recommended it in a TSB, or any official documentation?

Per Terry. Synth is good for helping 'cold shift' issues but does nothing to help the syncros which need friction to work, hence the friction mod additive.

http://autorepair.about.com/library/glossary/bldef-219.htm

I'm not putting friction modifier in my transmission until the explanations add up. Is XL-7 a magical friction modifer that ADDs friction instead of REDUCING friction?

The definition of what friction modifier does goes against the reasons for adding it. Why?

Maybe the same reason its not part of the TSB ford released for its ford honey. Maybe its the reason my syncros went bad when I did the Mobil 1 + FM cocktail. Maybe not. But I'm sticking to what the TSB from ford says in the meantime, and that is straight up Ford Honey, no other additives. And if were asked, I would recommend others do the same.

Ryan Trollin!
#1380040 09/14/05 01:40 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by TerryHaines(email):
..the FM deal goes waYYYYYYYYYY back.I'd stick with
straight up honey until I get lab results....but thats
just me

#1380041 09/14/05 01:41 PM
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Maybe its the reason my syncros went bad when I did the Mobil 1 + FM cocktail. Maybe not. But I'm sticking to what the TSB from ford says in the meantime, and that is straight up Ford Honey, no other additives. And if were asked, I would recommend others do the same.

No. I ran M1 plus XL-3 for 80k. Tranny was still in great shape. Run M1 in the SHO and it was too slippery w/o the FM. 3rd gear would grind. Added a little FM and good to go.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
#1380042 09/14/05 01:44 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by RTStabler51:

My point is, the only reason I'm seeing people use friction modifier is because people on the CEG recommended it. I haven't seen or heard of it in any of Fords documentation or recommendations for this transmission. If it was so great, why hasn't FORD recommended it in a TSB, or any official documentation?

Per Terry. Synth is good for helping 'cold shift' issues but does nothing to help the syncros which need friction to work, hence the friction mod additive.

The definition of what friction modifier does goes against the reasons for adding it. Why?

We add the FFM in the Lightnings rear diff so that the clutch packs in the limited slip aren't hurt. So, I'm assuming the FFM in the MTX-75, some how helps the blocking rings...

helps them by reducing friction? Its also not the reason given for adding it to the MTX-75 in the first place. I'm no trasmission or lube expert (hell, I'm barely a noob), but this is straight up old-fashioned simple reason.

#1380043 09/14/05 02:06 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
I don't think it reduces friction, I think it in fact does the opposite, so that the clutch packs (RWD, Limited Slip) and the Blocking rings in the MTX-75 can get that extra 'bite'...

helps them by reducing friction? Its also not the reason given for adding it to the MTX-75 in the first place. I'm no trasmission or lube expert (hell, I'm barely a noob), but this is straight up old-fashioned simple reason.

Ryan Trollin!
#1380044 09/14/05 02:22 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R

I don't think it reduces friction, I think it in fact does the opposite, so that the clutch packs (RWD, Limited Slip) and the Blocking rings in the MTX-75 can get that extra 'bite'...

Can you back that up with any reference materials? I googled for awhile and could not find ANYTHING that says it ADDs friction. Everything said it reduces friction.

#1380045 09/14/05 02:34 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
This thread has gone from most worthwhile to most inconclusive evar! All I would like to know is what fluid to run that will prevent my 3rd gear syncros from destroying themselves a 3RD time in the future!

P.S. - warmonger, I'll PM you if I still decide to get rid of my MTL.

#1380046 09/14/05 02:50 PM
R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
akrump, in my opinion, I think it would be safe to use exactly what Ford reccomends for their product: The Ford Honey, without friction modifier.

It makes sense to me that if Ford went through the trouble of actually producing a replacement fluid specifically for this application that they would have either recommended FM if it was necessary, or included it in the fluid formulation already. Since the TSB only states to use the Ford Honey straight up, thats what I'm going to do and I'm confident it is safe to do so.

MTL may be a great product for the MTX-75. It may not. You can avoid the whole issue and just use what Ford has recmomended IMO.

#1380047 09/14/05 02:55 PM
R
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
R
No I can't 'cause I'm wrong Ryan. I searched the NLOC boards and it says that it helps reduce friction as well. I was confuseded

Ryan Trollin!
#1380048 09/14/05 02:55 PM
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
akrump, in my opinion, I think it would be safe to use exactly what Ford reccomends for their product: The Ford Honey, without friction modifier.

It makes sense to me that if Ford went through the trouble of actually producing a replacement fluid specifically for this application that they would have either recommended FM if it was necessary, or included it in the fluid formulation already. Since the TSB only states to use the Ford Honey straight up, thats what I'm going to do and I'm confident it is safe to do so.

MTL may be a great product for the MTX-75. It may not. You can avoid the whole issue and just use what Ford has recmomended IMO.

I'm with you

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
Page 19 of 74 1 2 17 18 19 20 21 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard