Originally posted by todras:
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Question on friction modifier: I've heard this in older threads I've searched and found bringing up this "friction modifier makes lube more slipery" thing. wtf is up with that? How does that help synchro's bite?

When did XL-7 become better and why?

Also to note, the ford TSB recommending Ford Honey doesnt' say a thing about friction modifier...

Oh god the sky is falling. XL-7 is for use with synthetic lubes. Just use Ford or Mobil 1! Stop being retarded Ryan. Enough of this here.

My point is, the only reason I'm seeing people use friction modifier is because people on the CEG recommended it. I haven't seen or heard of it in any of Fords documentation or recommendations for this transmission. If it was so great, why hasn't FORD recommended it in a TSB, or any official documentation?

You see, I took the word of people on this site and used MTL. Now its up for debate whether MTL is actually harmful. Now I figure the safest bet is to go with what Ford says (ya know, back to the basics. After all, Ford built the thing, they should be the authoritive source to tell me what I should use). Ford doesn't say anything about using FM at all, but once again, people on this site are recommending it. I'm going to use my noodle here and wait to hear why FM is so great, and why Ford hasn't recommended it themselves. Are we just smarter than Ford engineers?

I don't want to be a lemming here and just follow the masses. I did that once and used MTL.

Forgive my excitement. I haven't eaten yet and its been a long day, I may be a little off-base.