Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 74 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 73 74
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
I did flush it after the first 500 miles. And Terry told me that quaife didn't rec this type of fluid. I see this getting ugly and being an ego based argument about who has the bigger d!ck.

I watched Terry make a couple of swipes on the other two cases and I wasn't terribly concerned about it.

I was just typing to my Volvo buddy and he uses MTL religously in his cars:

DanGTO: i can probably join, and throw some [censored]
DanGTO: i know i have some, i have 2 other trannies apart, i wonder if i cleaned the shifter plates off
DanGTO: but the cause of trans failure was a tweaked housing due to the torque.
DanGTO: But, i could not believe what i saw
DanGTO: funny thing is
DanGTO: the volvo drain on the trans
DanGTO: is magnetic
DanGTO: and i found only a ton of sludge built on it
DanGTO: so it is true, that the mtl shifts metal with it.
DanGTO: hell, the other trans in it has redline now
DanGTO: my overdrive unit, which uses the fluid and a solenoid to work [electronic 5th] was full of crap on the filter as well.
DanGTO: moore black crap.
DanGTO: yet, every volvo shop swears by it.

War...as for the discoloration it was THERE, YOU HAVE MY WORD. As much rainbow as the city of Ferndale.

War...when u say properly flush...you mean just an empty and a refill after break-in or is there a step I missed?

Look, fair enough on the flush and on the opinion. A flush is a flush. The particles should have been mostly removed in the first flush and any left over that weren't picked up by the magnet should have been relatively harmless. I'm not interested in the bigger dick thing (also don't really care for the reference). I just don't like it when things are so one sided and there are so many uncontrolled variables. This isn't a slam on any person but on the methods used. It won't hurt me if Redline does turn out to be terrible but my god man, how come there haven't been reports on the way some of these transmission using ATF have looked? There is no rigorous start to finish tests and there have been far more people using it. Why did my transmission look so much better than that one after 1.5 years of use? There are too many variables here that don't add up. How much wear was on the trans to begin with. How well was the diff set. How much wear occurs on a quaife/torsen. Flushing the fluid won't clean the magnet, that stuff is magnetic and it will stay there from the break in procedure.
How about your fluid when it was pulled out. I doubt the transmission was transported with fluid it in. Can it be spread out in a clear class jar so we can see how dirty/particle filled it is?
I just think that we should all be sure before we trash a product and cause literally hundreds of users to stop using it. Sure there are other fluids out there but still...I'm more a scientist at heart and I hate bad science.

Hell, if it is a bad product then I don't want to use it either...lets just be sure. No offense to you or Todd or Terry on that point.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Again I really am not taking sides but I don't think either todd or pete quoted terry correctly. He stated that the high sulfur content of the redline reacts with the aluminum and brass to form corrosion that cuases the sludge. He really did not talk about flakes per se. He explained the content of redline was made to handles the stresses of either dog gears or differentials both of which do not have the sensitive metals of the mtx-75. I was also told that with a fully helical gear set, the forces do not surpass the limits of the ford honey or even standard atf.

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already, I havent followed this thread at all, I just want to make sure Terry's comments have been passed correctly. Don't shoot the messenger

98 3.0 svt: Sold
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
It seemed to be one sided before tho...Rawburt was def a shot down messenger. I don't want to make it too one sided now either. I MAY have the old fluid in my garage and I will call my pops to check for me. Odds are he tossed it, but hopefully not. Sorry about the ref...just seems to be the norm with car guys. At least locally...

I know I am prob not quoting terry properly...he'll email myself or todd and we'll copy paste.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by {Kontofosho}:
Quote:

1.)If that one transmission used Ford Honey, WHY IS THE FLUID ON THE BEARING RACE FRIGGIN RED?

2.)Why on the one with the straight ATF are there wipe marks on the inside of the case?

As an objective 3rd party,

1. the transmission using honey did not appear to have any red atf.

2. He stated that in all fiarness he had wiped them lightly, but I do believe it would have taken quite a bit of cleaning to match pete's car, and it REALLY did not appear that they were thoroughly cleaned. Keep in mind that these transmissions had quite a bit more mileage.

Here is the pic, that Todd posted, that was suppose to use the Ford Honey...

Not only can you see the red fluid in the cap, located in the center, but you can see someone wiping the case.

Not to say this was rigged, but War pointed some things out that I noticed as well and since it was questioned... Well, I just wanted to point out what we both saw in the pics.

Also, I'm not real sure why the MTX-75 would be the only tranny out there with these problems, using Redline MTL. I mean, yeah I could see it if you used one of their dif fluids, but not the MTL.

If we could find other cars with different trannys with the same issues, then I would start to think otherwise. But, the product has been around for so long, there would have to be others out there with these same issues if it was the fluid that was failing. Wouldn't it?

I will look forward to hearing what someone from Redline would have to say about this. This post will be locked, at least until we can put together a MTX-75 FAQ or this is resolved.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by warmonger:
You know what Todd? You got an issue with something I say you should approach it in a fair reply to my post, i.e. the metal issue; not bury it amongst a bunch of pictures. Otherwise, I would use PMs as I did when I first tried to point out that there was a lack of objectivity here. Obviously you weren't going to be objective about this in the first place so I wasted my time in the pm and I'm probably wasting my time here now. I haven't ever had a problem with you before and I don't intend to start it now.
However I have some questions:

Whoa whoa whoa. Never said I had an issue at all. I respect you and your thoughts. They are just completely off kilter is all on this issue. j/m Didn't realize I was burrying it. Just things that were coming to mind as I was typing. Guess I didn't structure my post very well. I am objective on this issue. But when the eveidence is presented to me it's preety hard to dismiss. That little voice in the back of my head a few years ago said why are these guys searching for these lubes for the MTX-75 when Ford Honey and Mobil 1 are know to work well. You and Demon seem to want to reinvent the wheel. No need to go to PM's I want everyone reading everything so they can judge. I'm not keeping any secrets on this forum. This is a Contour we're talking about here. Not keeping NASA secrets from China. Maybe a couple captions were a little off on some of the pics but you get the point that the tranny's on the left didn't have MTL and Pete's did. The wipe marks are from a couple swipes Terry did with small rag. Did the same swipe on all of them. You don't see the residue on the others like you do on Pete's.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Wiping softly on those cases will make NO DIFFERENCE. You would need to SCRUB in order to make ANY difference to the cases especially mine. Yes there are some errors, but there are always holes...there are no absolutes.

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Redline MTL tech information/lube specs

Chew on this for a while. I won't post links of all the positive usage reports from the internet for Redline MTL on transmissions using the same alloys and technologies as our beloved mtx-75. You people can search google for that. I did have a hard time finding negatives though.

Well explain this to me then. From the sheet.

ΓΆβ?¬ΒΆ Satisfies manual transmissions and transaxles requiring
motor oils, or GL-1, GL-3, or GL-4 gear oils

Sounds like it has sulpher based additives to meet the requirements for other transmissions that may require GL type additives. Hypoid gear oil has sulphur based additives. These are a no no in alloy trans. cases. They cause major oxidation (sulphuric acid). ATF's DO NOT contain sulphur, MTL does. Which we will see how much when the lab tests come in.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
T
I have no life
I have no life
T

3.)Also, rainbow coloration on the gear teeth? I'll have to see a much better photo than that one before I agree that it is there as we can't really see it;

Yea okay. I think you're the only one that can't see it. Even blurry it's plain as the nose on my face on my monitor. Get off the Tandy 1000.

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by todras:

3.)Also, rainbow coloration on the gear teeth? I'll have to see a much better photo than that one before I agree that it is there as we can't really see it;

Yea okay. I think you're the only one that can't see it. Even blurry it's plain as the nose on my face on my monitor. Get off the Tandy 1000.

Todd where is the photo of your car hitting mine because the e brake didn't work?

T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by unisys12:
or this is resolved.

Seems pretty resolved to me. I don't see anyone questioning the virtues of Ford Honey or Mobil 1. Have they ever? Not to my knowledge. Present away if I'm wrong. Some of the guys with Torsen's "ahem Tom" are getting some gear noise. The reason he is running this stuff is to quiet it down by running MTL & MT-90. I've heard it and it's nothing someone can't deal with. It's a modified car, come on man. This is the most fun on CEG in a long time.

Page 13 of 74 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard