Originally posted by todras:
Okay I'm going out of my way and picking up Pete's trans this w/e. Terry is going to open this trans Mon. after shop hours for me to take pics. I might shoot video of his actually seperating it to show this isn't set up. He can crack it in 15 minutes. We will be doing the white glove test to show the residue inside. If it's clean as a whistle well my name is Mud.

What do you mean "clean as a whistle"?

I don't think I've ever seen any transmission that doesn't have some sort of metallic gray film. Now before anyone jumps up and down I'll give a more common example. You go to service an automatic transmission that has seen nothing but ATF. When you change out the fluid you wipe out the pan and you find a gray dust-like film over the whole pan and bottom of the trans. This material is from metal and clutch wear but the particle size is so small it doesn't hurt in small amounts and is one reason to service the transmission.
Now the same thing happens with a manual without clutch wear particles as gears will wear a little over time. If the manual trans hasn't been serviced in a long time there will also normally be a lot more of the metal dust and a little bit of brass speckles in it but that doesn't mean it is bad.
On a transmission that was completely cleaned and run with clean fluid in a year I'd expect very little metal particles but a very light gray residue wouldn't be unexpected.

Here is a good link from a guy kind enough to post pictures and do his homework/research on products: Stealth AWD transaxle lubricant info.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black