Print Thread
Page 10 of 74 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 73 74
#1379949 09/10/05 03:26 AM
H
Scourge of the Master Debaters
Scourge of the Master Debaters
H
Originally posted by Big Jim:
This thread has taken a life of it's own.

I wonder if it will become the longest thread on the CEG forums.

Not by a long shot. The Group Buy thread for the ELGlow gauges lasted exactly two years with 826 posts. Were there any threads larger than that one?

Beer is my Gatorade. Hooray Beer. '98 "Sport" Pacific Green '98 E0 SVT Silver Frost Pictures
#1379950 09/10/05 03:34 AM
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
i ran redline for 2yrs and it was ok.

D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
I'm no expert, but if the lube was the problem causing the build up, I think it woudl be seen in more places than JUST that diff pin.

Someone using their brain I see. Yes it would. The syncros would all be completely shot because without lubrication they would fail first. The oil (or lack there of) is not going to subjectively starve just one spot

Those pictures todras posted show damage from broken spider gears. TYPICAL MTX DIFF FAILURE. Hello sheep. Wake the hell up!

What happens when METAL PIECES constantly grind into the bearings and spindles for a prolonged time??? Oh yeah. Extreme wear happens like in the pictures.

Yes I am being overly sarcastic but the majority of the damn sheep on this board need their head beat in order to get any sense in it.

I ran MTL in my MTX-75 for well over a year (from Jan 01 to Sep 03)
When I tore my MTX apart there was absolutely ZERO FLUID BREAK DOWN & Negligable wear!!!

My bet for this over blown media style sensationalism going completely assinine is that someone added a "transmission fix" type additive or an high pressure LSD additive to the transmission at some point. Those types of additives cause exactly the type of build up that was described.

BTW (sorry Terry) - if Terry states that EP additive is bad for the MTX then why is he still recommending the cocktail as an option??? That's what the XM-7 is. It is an Extreme Pressure anti-chatter additive used for REAR WHEEL DRIVE differentials.

Another BTW - I've been against the cocktail (LSD additive) for years myself. ATF does a poor enough job protecting harsh gear engagement without being broken down by it. Feel free to search too if you want, it's there.

Man some times this site just tires me out. Too many f'n lemmings following each other off the cliff at the drop of a hat.
It's a very good thing a few people on here (and not on here anymore) actually don't listen to what can't be done or is not possible.
You know, I really need a break from this crap.

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#1379952 09/10/05 06:26 AM
R
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by hetfield:
Originally posted by Big Jim:
This thread has taken a life of it's own.

I wonder if it will become the longest thread on the CEG forums.

Not by a long shot. The Group Buy thread for the ELGlow gauges lasted exactly two years with 826 posts. Were there any threads larger than that one?

The South Central Ultimate Topic ran for 1350 posts and was still heavy rolling before it was locked as a joke (supposed to be unlocked but the mod went on vacation for 2 months...)

Ray

'99 CSVT - Silver #222/276 In a constant state of blow-off euphoria.
Originally posted by Kremitthefrog:
I like to wear dresses and use binoculars to watch grandmas across the street.

#1379953 09/10/05 07:11 AM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Norcal's CF hood GB lasted 1145 posts, about 22.75K views and is still going! I was a lucky few that actually got a freakin hood.

2005 Ford F150 SuperCab FX4 1964 Chevrolet Impala SS 1998 CSVT: 354HP/328TQ @ 10 psi, now gone
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Originally posted by terry haines:
...hows this,we set a day & time,you bring your
trans,a digi camera and a vid camera ,I crack open
your trans to check for any 'paste' ,grey debris etc
etc and then seal it back up...no charge...so you and
the masses can see it,first hand!

This would be good if we know the details of the prior fluids used, length of time MTL has been used on top of it. As I said, I'm not close minded to the possibilities but I want something a little more controlled before I start to buy into this.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by todras:
Okay I'm going out of my way and picking up Pete's trans this w/e. Terry is going to open this trans Mon. after shop hours for me to take pics. I might shoot video of his actually seperating it to show this isn't set up. He can crack it in 15 minutes. We will be doing the white glove test to show the residue inside. If it's clean as a whistle well my name is Mud.

What do you mean "clean as a whistle"?

I don't think I've ever seen any transmission that doesn't have some sort of metallic gray film. Now before anyone jumps up and down I'll give a more common example. You go to service an automatic transmission that has seen nothing but ATF. When you change out the fluid you wipe out the pan and you find a gray dust-like film over the whole pan and bottom of the trans. This material is from metal and clutch wear but the particle size is so small it doesn't hurt in small amounts and is one reason to service the transmission.
Now the same thing happens with a manual without clutch wear particles as gears will wear a little over time. If the manual trans hasn't been serviced in a long time there will also normally be a lot more of the metal dust and a little bit of brass speckles in it but that doesn't mean it is bad.
On a transmission that was completely cleaned and run with clean fluid in a year I'd expect very little metal particles but a very light gray residue wouldn't be unexpected.

Here is a good link from a guy kind enough to post pictures and do his homework/research on products: Stealth AWD transaxle lubricant info.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
THat may explain it, someone adding more modifiers to the mtl to the fluid in the trans in question I mean.
From the smell that Terry described it sounded like standard gear oil. MTL doesn't smell like that, mostly GL-5 oils seem to smell like that!

The MTL fresh from the bottle that I remember was very mild in smell. Do you recall what yours smelled like?
Does anyone with a fresh bottle who also knows what a hypoid gear oil smells like, think it smells like that?

When I used ATF + friction modifier I had the most intensive wear in my transmission! It was for about 3 weeks to a month and of course the Torsen was breaking in, but it was significant in the metal particles. When I dumped the fluid it totally REEKED of the type of smell that Terry described! I changed it out because of poor performance and switched to MTL. My transmission never worked better than when I had MTL in it. I ran it for over a year and then switched to Royal Purple. Not satisfied with that I'm now turning to MT90 and I found that even MT90 doesn't stink like what is described!

I also ran Torco synthetic a long time back and that may be what protected my stock diff from blowing up as that is the last fluid I ran before putting in the LSD. I ran that for about 1.5 years. No wear from it either. Of course the shift forks were binding like hell from the previous factory lube but I got all that fixed up and its been shifting smooth as silk for over two years.

M
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
M
I think MTL has a very slight hypoid smell... but wouldn't think about it unless I was trying to smell it. I was comparing the smell to Redline 75W90 gear oil (for my wife's Intrepids differential). That gear oil reaks... MTL does not.

morbid 2000 Contour SVT (black)
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by warmonger:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
Originally posted by terry haines:
...hows this,we set a day & time,you bring your
trans,a digi camera and a vid camera ,I crack open
your trans to check for any 'paste' ,grey debris etc
etc and then seal it back up...no charge...so you and
the masses can see it,first hand!

This would be good if we know the details of the prior fluids used, length of time MTL has been used on top of it. As I said, I'm not close minded to the possibilities but I want something a little more controlled before I start to buy into this.

This transmission was done by terry in may of 04. I ran MTL in it from DAY 1. Prior to the build up I ran Mobil 1 syn ATF with XL3 friction modifier. (could've been XL7...)
That was run from sept 02 til the shift tower went bye bye in march early april of 04.

The MTL in the trans prob had 14k miles on it.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
Page 10 of 74 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard