Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 74 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 73 74
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
I for one think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm leaning toward the "stock lube breakdown over 100+K miles" theory. Then when he did change fluids, did so with a quality fluid, which dislodged years of "gunk", which led to fluid passage blocking and ultimately to his problems. I am however planning on running Mobil 1 + XL-7 FM ... did that in my last Cougar and loved it. It's tried and true and all said and one, I will have about $3,000 tied up in my transmission ... not something I want to experiement with.

Last edited by fastcougar; 09/09/05 02:46 PM.
M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
If terry wants to have some fun...I have used Redline MTL in my HMS trans which is currently out of my car and not going back in for some time.

Just a thought.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
T
I have no life
I have no life
T
Originally posted by fastcougar:
I for one think that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm leaning toward the "stock lube breakdown over 100+K miles" theory.

Stock lube is not going to gum up not matter how old. It will break down and lose most of it's good lubricating properties but it's not going to block the slots in the diff. pine that urgently need lube in order for the planet gears to rotate.

-'96 SE MTX 3L -'98 SVT 1,173 of 6,535 -'05 Mazda 6s, loaded, g/f's ride -Need a 96-00 manual on CD? PM or email me
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
I've got my MTX opened up and sitting on my workbench right now. I changed out the stock ATF at around 40K miles and started using the Mobil-1 cocktail, draining and refilling about every 25K miles. The transmission, now at 112K, looks absolutely spotless inside and there were only a couple TINY metal flakes on the collection magnet. Looking over the internal components, it's hard to see any indications of wear. Even at 112K on an almost 10-year old transmission, it still shifts great (i.e. no syncro problems).

I've got 3 bottles of Redline MTL ready to dump in after my Torsen/Fork install, but after reading this dialogue, I'm inclined to continue using the Mobil-1 cocktail until the 'MTX Heavyweights' duke out the MTL issue some more. In the meantime, I'll hold onto my bottles of MTL.

I agree that it's hard to blame 2 transmission failures on MTL, considering that the fluid change history was unknown. If you don't keep the fluid fresh, it's gonna come back to bite you, no matter what fluid you're using.

1996 Ford Contour SE (Mine): V-6 MTX/DMD/MSDS/K&N3530/Torsen/Spec-1/Split-Exhaust/Walbro/Syncromax..119K 2003 GMC Yukon XL SLT (Hers): 285HP/Stock..93K
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Like I said, the truth probably lies in the middle ... perhaps the MTL caused the gumming due to the EP additives combined with broken down stock fluid???

R
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
R
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:
If terry wants to have some fun...I have used Redline MTL in my HMS trans which is currently out of my car and not going back in for some time.

Just a thought.

How many miles do you have on it since the rebuild? If more than 20k I say do eeet! The findings would be very interesting.

I've had MTL in mine from the day it was rebuilt (whoever it was that rebuilt it). About 35k on it now.

I am going to order some Ford Honey though just because its' not worth the risk IMO until this is all settled, and its probably due for a change (its been 25k miles)

M
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
M
Originally posted by rkneeshaw3.0:
Originally posted by MapOfTaziFoSho:

Just a thought.

How many miles do you have on it since the rebuild? If more than 20k I say do eeet! The findings would be very interesting.

I've had MTL in mine from the day it was rebuilt (whoever it was that rebuilt it). About 30k on it now.

[censored] if Todd wants to pick it up while he is down there...just for research... I don't care. I'm gonna email Terry. Cracking it just to take a look shouldn't be too terribly difficult.

Born again on 04/09/06 FOR SALE: Moonroof glass and motor MB sunshade PM ME!
#1379926 09/09/05 03:30 PM
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
Originally posted by RawDirte':
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:

I recently put redline MTL into my trans and the diff blew 4 months later...

Has to be a coincidence.

I doubt its a coincidence, mine went 4 or 5 months after I put the MTL in as well... Coincidence... I doubt it!

I though it was in for 12 months?

Quote:

Quoted from TH on FCO....
Redline,stoc diff blew,lube was in for 12 months at correct level(as per customer info)

Frank McCoy aka Mod-deth aka Mid Life Crisis aka SVT Doood aka mcgainer is a SCAM ARTIST Pre98 Zetec - Some Mods
#1379927 09/09/05 03:48 PM
A
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
A
So we have Rawburts and others trans which were full of 'pastey residue' per Terrys description running the MTL, and we have warmonger and others who have run MTL for some time and seen no internal issues. Could their be a 3rd factor that we don't know about yet? Something has got to give.

#1379928 09/09/05 03:53 PM
S
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
S
Originally posted by akrump47:
So we have Rawburts and others trans which were full of 'pastey residue' per Terrys description running the MTL, and we have warmonger and others who have run MTL for some time and seen no internal issues. Could their be a 3rd factor that we don't know about yet? Something has got to give.

warmonger and others have a LSD
the ones that shown problems didn't

not sure if that makes a difference, but there is another variable

Last edited by SVTatGT; 09/09/05 03:54 PM.

Cameron 98 Black CSVT #2958
Page 7 of 74 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard