#1379899 09/08/05 06:55 PM
R
RawBurt Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Y2KSVT:
Anybody that doesn't know their own vehicle's maintenance history, shouldn't have much of a say in this.

I'm thinking it's just coincidence that the diff blew in your tranny Robert. It's like buying a used car w/ 100k miles on it, immediately changing the oil, and the engine blowing up. Do you blame the Valvoline oil that you put in it? No, as you don't know what was put in it before. Until there is some significant data, showing that Redline MTL is the reason for your diff shattering, I don't think people should be so quick to jump to conclusions.

Mark

I have put almost 30k miles on it. And that is true, I do not know the previous maintenence records. That is completely out of my control. Thats why I kind of went crazy with it. No where did I say that the MTL is the reason why my diff went on me, and if I did say it... Let me take it back because I did not mean it.

I still think you guys are missing the point here. All you guys are hearing is what you want to hear... "If you use Redline MTL, then you will ruin your diff." NO, that is not what I said!!! When I switched to the MTL, i noticed metal shavings in the fluid when draining it. It was not much, but enough to show that there was wear. The mix of the MTL, and metallic flakes creating a paste DID NOT help my diff and a prolonged life. Upon cracking open my trans, that was found, significant and strange wear. Also found on other MTL users transmissions. These are not my grounds to stand up and preach about it. Go to FCO and read about it!

#1379900 09/08/05 07:01 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
I'm also running MTL. I have a 99+ cougar trans with a torsen. I want this discussion to continue because it is very intriquing to me, I don't want to ruin my new torsen. My trans supposedly had roughly 10k on it. I've put 5k on it with the MTL. So far so good tho. Also I took my trans apart myself and i dont see how the diff could get blocked from getting fluid.

A few more facts just to throw them out there.
When i took my trans apart (the one with 128K and shot 3rd synchro) the diff looked perfect. I put new ATF fluid in it when i bough the car. (98k) and then i put ATF+3 (112K-128K)

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
#1379901 09/08/05 07:07 PM
R
RawBurt Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:
I'm also running MTL. I have a 99+ cougar trans with a torsen. I want this discussion to continue because it is very intriquing to me, I don't want to ruin my new torsen. My trans supposedly had roughly 10k on it. I've put 5k on it with the MTL. So far so good tho. Also I took my trans apart myself and i dont see how the diff could get blocked from getting fluid.

Originally posted by RawDirte':
Originally posted by dubkatz:
blocking oil from the diff.

Im no Terry h. but i have pulled and split my own tranny on my kitchen table, and im curious how you can block fluid from getting to the diff?

LUBE IS SUSPENDING DEBRIS AND THIS 'PASTE' IS BLOCKING OFF THE 'OIL FEED" FLATS TO THE BEARING AREAS

Sure there is not enough factual information to give Redline a bad name. But when the man TH is saying that it is probably not a good idea to go with this MTL. I'm going to listen to him. Whats the big deal about spending 30 extra dollars. Compared to some other giant amount for a tranny repair. I could care less what you people decide to go with. I got my trans rebuilt by the guy and I am going to take his advice.

#1379902 09/08/05 07:19 PM
S
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
S
Quote:

Sure there is not enough factual information to give Redline a bad name. But when the man TH is saying that it is probably not a good idea to go with this MTL. I'm going to listen to him. Whats the big deal about spending 30 extra dollars. Compared to some other giant amount for a tranny repair. I could care less what you people decide to go with. I got my trans rebuilt by the guy and I am going to take his advice.

Seems you are the one getting a little defensive here. No one is trying to persuade you to keep with MTL. We appreciate the heads up and I agree 100% with spending another $30 on some other trans fluid. And i understand TH knows his Shiznit. I just think it's best to research a little instead of just saying, oh someone said this.. dont use it (i understand TH really knows his stuff, I've talked with him before)

1998.5 Diamond White Pearl SVT (#4725) custom exhaust/intake k&N/mod'ed y-pipe slotted rotors/greenstuff pads/SS lines cougar trans/FSVT shift tower/Torsen 16lb. flywheel 18" Velox VX-8's with some rubba bands
#1379903 09/08/05 07:23 PM
R
RawBurt Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by Stylin55_oh:

Seems you are the one getting a little defensive here. No one is trying to persuade you to keep with MTL. We appreciate the heads up

Thank you... Sorry I was getting a little defensive. I just wanted this thread to be something to keep in mind. Thats it.

#1379904 09/08/05 09:02 PM
H
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
H
I received this e-mail from HMS -

"...what I am saying is stay away from gear lubes that
have the spec/additives of an 'EP' lube,this is not
specific to MTL/Redline/'Acme Gear Oil Inc" or any
specific brand...It's the type and composition of the
lube that is causing the issue here......."

'98 SVT Red/midnight blue - a few mods E0 wheels for sale - PM me
#1379905 09/09/05 12:21 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by BlackBirdRacing:

I recently put redline MTL into my trans and the diff blew 4 months later...

Has to be a coincidence.

I doubt its a coincidence, mine went 4 or 5 months after I put the MTL in as well... Coincidence... I doubt it!

Yeah. Whatever.

I pumped over 300 ft-lbs of torque into my trans with redline, atf and others. I can only tell you that you are mistaken.
Redline has nothing to do with your trans failure unless you failed to put in enough.
ANY normal lubricant won't cause your diff/trans to go out for no reason. It had to be another issue.
Anyway, if you examine the damaged parts you can easily deduce what caused them to fail whether it be stres, lubrication, etc. Please be sure to post a picture so we can see if there is any merrit to your insinuation that Redline lubricants blew your transmission. I won't say it is impossible and I'll give your argument a fair consideration. Besides, if there is an issue then you may be doing us a service.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1379906 09/09/05 12:37 AM
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
guys, what is this "EP" lube terry is talking about?

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
#1379907 09/09/05 01:12 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by Jeb Hoge:
I think that if a guy with Terry's experience cracking MTX-75s has two essentially identical failure cases that ran MTL (first MTXs to use it that he'd seen, he said) and were lousy with metal goop, I can stand to listen to his analysis and spend the money on changing over to the Ford recommended spec. That's what it comes to for me.

Come on now. Terry is good at what he does but that doesn't mean he knows about redline or even cares to experiment with non ford products. His recommendation on products is fine if that is what you want to run. However, just to see a gunked up transmission and blame the fluid isn't a death warrant. I'm sure Terry has some 'qualifier' such as "from the two transmissions he's seen", or something similar that INDICATES he isn't saying it as an ABSOLUTE FACT about that fluid.
I'm fairly certain the metal paste and gunk had been in there a long time. I know that I ran Redline for over a year and I had less metal flake in it than when I ran fresh ATF. I also had no gunking, AND I have pictures to back my points up. What about these other claims I seen no pictures from them?
Besides, I'm a one-owner on this 99 Ford and I didn't change my ATF out until about 38K miles. I saw what it was when it came out and I've changed fluid no less than 5 times since then with different types. I lived with MTL the longest and there is nothing negative about that fluid. I am now going to MT90 but that is besides the point.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black
#1379908 09/09/05 01:23 AM
W
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
W
Originally posted by dubkatz:
blocking oil from the diff.

Im no Terry h. but i have pulled and split my own tranny on my kitchen table, and im curious how you can block fluid from getting to the diff?

LUBE IS SUSPENDING DEBRIS AND THIS 'PASTE' IS BLOCKING OFF THE 'OIL FEED" FLATS TO THE BEARING AREAS

Ummm You don't know what you are talking about do you?. There is an oil drain or feed hole but the bearings spin. The bearings are not sealed off by themselves, they are pressed onto the diff and it is in full contact with the fluid, at LEAST 50% of the way up the diff. High enough in fact that if you go and pull an axle right now, fluid will run out of the transmission. How is that NOT able to get to at least the bottom end of the bearings. Did the paste turn itself into a lip seal and seal off the bearing area entirely...despite the fact that it moves?
If the bearing is full of metal paste then it didn't happen overnight and it didn't happen in four of five months.
It happened over 4 or 5 years!
Lack of maintenance damaged your transmission.
I think the diff as a 'part' sucks but the transmission and its design as a whole are pretty darn good. The fluid recommeded in it are what really suck! Ford should have sprung a few extra bucks for some good fluid from day one so that this trans didn't have as many issues. Dino ATF in this trans sucks.

Page 5 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard