Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 73 74
#1379879 09/07/05 09:31 PM
R
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
R
you guys are scaring me. is this stuff ok? i just ordered some to put in my tranny since break in is over. i can't afford another break down like i had before? will i be ok?

2003 Dodge SRT-4 Mods: more than 250 characters worth!
#1379880 09/07/05 10:06 PM
Y
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
Y
I'm using Ford's Mercon ATF with a 1/2 bottle of friction modifier. Have been running it since the 3L swap and tranny build(Quaife LSD) in April of 2003. I've put 32k miles on the transmission in those 2-1/2 years with no ill effects.

Mark

2000 Black CSVT 3.0L Hybrid - 206fwhp & 195fwtq
#1379881 09/07/05 11:08 PM
U
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
U
Originally posted by RawDirte':
Originally posted by DemonSVT:
I'm not the only one who this has happened to. Honestly, I could care less what you use. All I did was state what happened to me and others. Hence my title 'Watch out' letting others know to just be careful. No reason to rip into me like that...

Yes there is because your statement is complete and utter sensationalism.
You should be in a the media. You would be perfect for making up bullsh~t and trying to place the blame anywhere but where it belongs. ON YOU & ON THE PEOPLE WHO DESIGNED THE MTX-75.

Good lord, you are obviously missing the point. If you would like to discuss it further then PM me. But there is no reason to clutter up this thread with your attacks.

I will agree that Demons comments were out of hand, in both of his responses, but you did the right thing and invited any other discussion over his disagreemnet with you should be done through PMs only. And I will second that.

Back on topic...

I think before we start jumping to conclusions here, we need to find out some facts about the trannys in question. Like...

1) What fluid did they have in the tranny before?

2) How long had the old fluid been in the tranny before the change-over to MTL?

3) How long had the MTL been in the tranny, before the failure?

4) Did the person change the fluid on a regular basis and/or what intervals had the fluid been changed?

5) When the dif's broke, were there any differences in the breaks and in what ways were they different?

Those are just a few of the questions that I would ask myself if this had happened to me. Granted, Terry has probably answered these questions in his forum, but I am just wondering for myself. Because before we go off and denote a product line as a bad thing for our trannys, which almost everyone here has had good results with until now, we should have some proof first.

This is in no way an attempt to dis any of Terrys opinions, but I feel that before a post is made saying that a product has caused a failure, then there needs to be some proof to back up the claims.

Phillip Jackson `98 Mystique LS 262K+ and counting... ATX rebuilt @ 151K "This storm has broken me, my only friend!" RIP Dime
#1379882 09/07/05 11:23 PM
K
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
K
Originally posted by unisys12:

4) Did the person change the fluid on a regular basis and/or what intervals had the fluid been changed?

5) When the dif's broke, were there any differences in the breaks and in what ways were they different?

How about what kind of driving has this tranny seen? Not just with you but with the previous owners? Have you ever dragged, launched hard, etc.?

That diff is weak enough that mild abuse will break it. If mine goes, I sure wont be blaming the MTL. I dont abuse it often at all, but any can be too much for that sucker!

Heck, there is a thread in this forum right now about a brand new stock diff failing!!! I mean come on?! Fluid? How about its just a piece?

#4559 of 6535 born on Feb 17, 1998 Black 1998.5 CSVT FOR SALE [cleaning house]: SVT rear swaybar. Reasonable offer and its yours!
#1379883 09/08/05 01:59 AM
R
RawBurt Offline OP
Hard-core CEG'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
R
Originally posted by unisys12:

Back on topic...

I think before we start jumping to conclusions here, we need to find out some facts about the trannys in question. Like...

Those are just a few of the questions that I would ask myself if this had happened to me. Granted, Terry has probably answered these questions in his forum, but I am just wondering for myself. Because before we go off and denote a product line as a bad thing for our trannys, which almost everyone here has had good results with until now, we should have some proof first.

This is in no way an attempt to dis any of Terrys opinions, but I feel that before a post is made saying that a product has caused a failure, then there needs to be some proof to back up the claims.

1. As far as I know it had stock fluid, whatever that may be. I am unsure.

2. I have no records of previous changing. Thats why I did it.

3. The MTL was in for probably 4 to 5 months.

4. That was the first time I (myself) changed it. Like I said I dont know about anything that happened before.

5. From what I heard, they are breaking the same way. The MTL is gunking up into a paste mixed around with metallic flakes and blocking oil from the diff.

Terry has a some very useful info on FCO. Unless you guys want to start opening up your pocket books, I'd suggest at least checking it out before you completely look past the idea.

Originally posted by KingpinSVT:
How about what kind of driving has this tranny seen? Not just with you but with the previous owners? Have you ever dragged, launched hard, etc.?

That diff is weak enough that mild abuse will break it. If mine goes, I sure wont be blaming the MTL. I dont abuse it often at all, but any can be too much for that sucker!

Heck, there is a thread in this forum right now about a brand new stock diff failing!!! I mean come on?! Fluid? How about its just a piece?

My diff has seen some abuse by me. But nothing to bad, I mean just some spirited driving every now and then. Yes it had 103K on it and it was probably time to go... But I'm not thinking that the MTL helped too much... I mean a couple months after I put it in... Come'on... others experiencing the same. I am just trying to look out for you guys. LOOK INTO IT!

#1379884 09/08/05 02:46 AM
D
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
D
100k+ miles on the orignal fluid.

Then changed to a fully synthetic manual trans lube for only 4-5 months. (read the FAQs anyone)

Transmission fails and it's 100% because of the fluid in it the last 4-5 months.

Your story reeks of a completely more logical answer. That being neglect from running non-protecting ATF for 6-7 years & 100k+ miles in it.

'nuff said

2000 SVT #674 13.47 @ 102 - All Motor! It was not broke; Yet I fixed it anyway.
#1379885 09/08/05 03:37 AM
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
EXACTLY! people break the stock diff with all different types of fluids in them! i bet you could find a person with every single type of fluid in their tranny that has shattered their diff.! ALOT of them with the stock fluid! So do you mean to tell me that the stock fluid can cause the diff to break?.....

99.9% of the time it is because of the driver! If these cars were driven like they were "supposed" to be driven...not "racing" them...they would all be fine. But some of us like to abuse our cars that's why many of us have a LSD...like ME!

1999 Cougar V6 MTX SVT UIM/LIM/65mm TB, I/H/E, Fidanza/SPEC III/Torsen, Koni/GC's, 19" Icon wheels w/ Pirelli rubber, NX Wet Kit
#1379886 09/08/05 03:49 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
I think that if a guy with Terry's experience cracking MTX-75s has two essentially identical failure cases that ran MTL (first MTXs to use it that he'd seen, he said) and were lousy with metal goop, I can stand to listen to his analysis and spend the money on changing over to the Ford recommended spec. That's what it comes to for me.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
#1379887 09/08/05 03:54 AM
J
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by 99cougar:
EXACTLY! people break the stock diff with all different types of fluids in them! i bet you could find a person with every single type of fluid in their tranny that has shattered their diff.! ALOT of them with the stock fluid!

It's not just that it died, it's HOW. Pasty residue & unusual wear patterns.

"Think of it, if you like, as a librarian with a G-string under the tweed." Clarkson on the Mondeo.
#1379888 09/08/05 04:37 AM
J
JB1 Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
J
Originally posted by demonsvt:
Your story reeks of a completely more logical answer. That being neglect from running non-protecting ATF for 6-7 years & 100k+ miles in it.

not that my opinion matters but i comletely agree. if mtl were to blamethen why only two and why only now?

1. As far as I know it had stock fluid, whatever that may be. I am unsure.

2. I have no records of previous changing. Thats why I did it.

3. The MTL was in for probably 4 to 5 months.

4. That was the first time I (myself) changed it. Like I said I dont know about anything that happened before.

5. From what I heard, they are breaking the same way. The MTL is gunking up into a paste mixed around with metallic flakes and blocking oil from the diff.

My diff has seen some abuse by me. But nothing to bad, I mean just some spirited driving every now and then. Yes it had 103K on it and it was probably time to go... But I'm not thinking that the MTL helped too much... I mean a couple months after I put it in... Come'on... others experiencing the same. I am just trying to look out for you guys. LOOK INTO IT!

so as far as you know the fluid may never have been changed even once in about 100k miles and then we are going to suddenly blame redline? there has to be more to the story. my question is, if redline mtl is too think being a 70w-80 gear oil then why is ford recommending an 80w gear oil?

specs on fords honey, note three under the manual transmission fluid chart

redline mtl product info

terry's thread on this subject

Last edited by JB1; 09/08/05 04:55 AM.

00 black/tan svt, #2052 of 2150, born 2/1/00 formerly known as my csvt "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than a sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
Page 3 of 74 1 2 3 4 5 73 74

Moderated by  RoadRunner_dup1, unisys12 

Link Copied to Clipboard