Next Thread
Print Thread
#1379787 09/07/05 12:41 PM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Drove my wifes 98.5 SVT the other day and noticed that the air bag was LOOSE in the steering wheel. With a mirror & flashlight, I checked all 4 holes on the back side, which on any other vehicle I've ever worked on would have screws inside BUT to my surprise, NO SCREWS! One side of the air bag is so loose that it can be pulled out from the wheel about 3/4" while the other side is loose but still attached. Where do I go from here????

#1379788 09/07/05 01:35 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Disconnect your battery then remove the airbag to see if you can find the missing screw. There is only 2 screws that hold the bag in. If you're looking at the back of the wheel you'll see one of the 2 holes on each side is more centered. Those are the ones with the screw. It's a torx head screw (T-25 if I remember correctly). Simply unscrew the remaining screw and the bag will fall right out. YOu want to be sure that that lost screw is not in there. You run the possibility of grounding the horn (causing it to blow)at the very least. You also run the risk of damaging more important wires. With the bag removed you'll see 2 metal tabs which are the horn contacts. Look behind them because the screws tend to get caught between the backside of the horn tabs and sterring wheel hub. If you can't find it I would recommend getting another and secureing the bag correctly. You don't want that airbag to be loose should it go off in an accident. That thing will become rocket!

I find a loose airbag to be common on some of these cars for some reason. If you can't find a replacement screw let me know and I can mail one to you. I have tons of them lying around.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
#1379789 09/07/05 02:10 PM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Thanks for the reply. If I have time this afternoon, I'll dig in there to see what's going on. If not, I'll be going out of town until Monday and will have to wait until I return. I'll let you know what I find and if needed, I may take you up on the screw offer...ummm..that didn't sound sound just right, did it????

#1379790 09/07/05 07:24 PM
F
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
F
Originally posted by BlownSkillet1:
I may take you up on the screw offer...ummm..that didn't sound sound just right, did it????

LOL!! That would sound "just right" if you were a really hot chic, but seeing how you are refering to your wifes car I'll assume your not. Although.....in todays world anything is possible.

Parting out 95-97 Contours/Mystiques. Contact me directly at ALFIGOLS@yahoo.com if you're looking for a particular part.
#1379791 09/07/05 11:20 PM
B
CEG'er
CEG'er
B
I just had this problem on my 95. Just tightened them up and all is well....

Bob

An ounce of prevention provides a pound of cure!
#1379792 09/07/05 11:58 PM
B
New CEG\'er
OP Offline
New CEG\'er
B
Figols, the screws were there and btrautman, you were correct; simply tighten them up and it's good to go. Now, how I managed to miss these 2 holes with the screws in them the first time I looked is beyond me; what I was looking at was the other 4 holes that were on the back side of the steering wheel! The #30 torx did the trick.

Oh, and just for the record, I am secure in my manhood, played football in highschool, joined the military after that, etc...etc... Hee Hee!!!

#1379793 09/08/05 12:16 AM
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by BlownSkillet1:
Oh, and just for the record, I am secure in my manhood, played football in highschool, joined the military after that, etc...etc... Hee Hee!!!

LOL. Yes, I am sure you are.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard