Originally posted by red99sesport:
In addition to those things, you get lumber support

It can carry construction materials? I thought it was a little small for that...

Also, with the Matrix's extra weight, it has to be slow, as it uses the exact same engine as my Corolla.

I believe the Matrox is like 200 lbs heavier than the corolla, but is still lighter than the 3.

Forthly, if you're over 5'10" or under 5'7", you won't find the driving position in the Matrix to be comfortable, no matter how you adjust the seat and wheel.

I am over 5'10", and I found the Matrix to be the less cramped of the two, in some ways. I definitely had less trouble with forward/upward visibility (see other thread about eye-level rear view mirrors). The Matrix also has like 50% more cargo room despite looking no bigger on the outside. It gets better mileage, it has that unkillable Toyota reliability, it has higher resale value by most estimates. The driving advantages of the 3 are inarguable, of course... (yet I was surprised to find that the 160HP 2.3 engine actually seemed to give it less freeway passing ability than my 2.0 Contour had). So it's basically a choice between the sober sensible option and the fun option. But given that they cost the same, the fun option is sure looking like the better deal.

I do quite like that five speed tranny in the 3... far better than the one in my Contour. Like, it knows how to engine-brake on downhills without being told. And to avoid constantly switching back and forth on uphills. Those are great features for someone like me who makes regular trips to the mountains.

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.