Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1378004 09/20/05 02:00 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
I love driving the Mazda3. I can honestly say that the fit and finish are near flawless, almost Lexus like. The power, handling, exterior looks, and interior are top notch.

If you buy a 3s like I'm driving with all the toys like 17" wheels, 4 wheel disc ABS, Side Airbags, Moonroof, 6-disc indash CD, steering wheel audio controls, and the sport package (which does not include a spoiler, thank GOD), you have a damn nice little car. In addition to those things, you get lumber support, speed compansated volume, keyless, a manumatic transaxle that actually works like it should (not like autostick), cruise, a tilt and telescoping wheel that is wrapped in leather, a leather shift knob, a massive glovebox, a two tiered console, folding rear seats, and the coolest nighttime dash display you've probably ever seen in a car.

Did I mention a 4 year 50,000 Bumper to Bumper Warranty and a 5 year 60,000 mile Powertrain warranty.

I'd pick the 3s over a Matrix. I own a Corolla, which is a sedan version of the Matrix, and I can tell you it isn't fun to drive like the Mazda. Also, with the Matrix's extra weight, it has to be slow, as it uses the exact same engine as my Corolla. Thirdly, a Matrix is a bit on the ugly side in my opinion. Forthly, if you're over 5'10" or under 5'7", you won't find the driving position in the Matrix to be comfortable, no matter how you adjust the seat and wheel.

#1378005 09/20/05 04:27 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by red99sesport:
In addition to those things, you get lumber support

It can carry construction materials? I thought it was a little small for that...

Also, with the Matrix's extra weight, it has to be slow, as it uses the exact same engine as my Corolla.

I believe the Matrox is like 200 lbs heavier than the corolla, but is still lighter than the 3.

Forthly, if you're over 5'10" or under 5'7", you won't find the driving position in the Matrix to be comfortable, no matter how you adjust the seat and wheel.

I am over 5'10", and I found the Matrix to be the less cramped of the two, in some ways. I definitely had less trouble with forward/upward visibility (see other thread about eye-level rear view mirrors). The Matrix also has like 50% more cargo room despite looking no bigger on the outside. It gets better mileage, it has that unkillable Toyota reliability, it has higher resale value by most estimates. The driving advantages of the 3 are inarguable, of course... (yet I was surprised to find that the 160HP 2.3 engine actually seemed to give it less freeway passing ability than my 2.0 Contour had). So it's basically a choice between the sober sensible option and the fun option. But given that they cost the same, the fun option is sure looking like the better deal.

I do quite like that five speed tranny in the 3... far better than the one in my Contour. Like, it knows how to engine-brake on downhills without being told. And to avoid constantly switching back and forth on uphills. Those are great features for someone like me who makes regular trips to the mountains.

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
#1378006 09/20/05 04:53 PM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
You were driving a 3s with an auto correct? If so, did you drive it in Drive, or did you put it into manual mode and shift it yourself?

I'll agree that passing power is lacking if you leave it in drive, but in Manual, it's feels faster than a my old Duratec Contour. I have only driven the 3 in Drive one time, its more fun and faster to shift when YOU want, than when the car feels like it.

If you didn't drive it in manual mode, do yourself a favor and try it. When you put the car into drive, pull the shift lever to the left. A "M" will light up on the dash. Now you are in manual mode. From here, accelerate, when the car gets near the redline in each gear, pull the gearshift backwards. This will upshift. If you need to downshift to pass or when you exit a curve, push the gearshift foward. A word of caution: The car will not upshift by itself, you will hit the rev limiter. However, it will automatically downshift into first at a stop, so be prepared to upshift when you need to pull away.

BTW, when I said the Matrix wouldn't be comfortable, I didn't mean on short trips. Drive it for 3 or 4 hours. The realationship between the seat, pedals, and steering wheel gets tiring. Its almost like the steering wheel is too close, and off center.

#1378007 09/20/05 05:07 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by cheapest GL around:
... it has that unkillable Toyota reliability,

Not what it used to be IMHO. Corolla, new engine at 38,xxx miles. My 80 year old mother drives it so you know it wasn't abused. Warranty help? Forget it.

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1378008 09/20/05 05:11 PM
T
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T

BTW, when I said the Matrix wouldn't be comfortable, I didn't mean on short trips. Drive it for 3 or 4 hours. The realationship between the seat, pedals, and steering wheel gets tiring. Its almost like the steering wheel is too close, and off center.

I went through something like that in the 6 when I rented one. Was a great car but I couldn't get comforatable. Drove to Atlanta from south Florida - 9 hours or so with a meal. I felt like I spent the day wrestling a gorilla.

Then I drove my Contour home.... Aaaahhhhh!

Must be that jumbly-wumbly thing happening again.
#1378009 09/20/05 10:25 PM
C
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
C
You were driving a 3s with an auto correct?

Right. I also tried a 3i manual. (I pretty much bracketed the whole range of options by trying the leather-seated Grand Touring wagon and the stripped base sedan.) I did try out the manual-auto shifter, but I didn't try going down to third for freeway passing, I only tried fourth. I think I revved about 4000.

Also, this was a low-emissions engine with no VVT, since I'm in California. This may affect the passing power.

I previously said there was no real price advantage of a Matrox over a 3... WRONG! I forgot that the Matrix is also sold as the Pontiac Vibe, which currently has employee discount plus rebate... I just got a quote that was $2500 below what I'd probably pay for a 3s wagon, maybe $3000 below. I think that just reopened the consideration a bit.

But I'd have to buy it before the end of the month, when I haven't been paid yet...

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.
#1378010 09/21/05 02:53 AM
R
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
R
If you had a low emissions version, you didn't get the power mine has. Also, a 3i has a 2.0L while a 3s has a 2.3. I have a VVT 2.3L s sedan with the auto. If I need to pass from 60, I double downshift into second, stay in second from 5k to 6k, then upshift into third, hold it to 6k, then upshift into forth. It takes me from 60 to 90 in no time at all. However, I understand that that is driving it a little hard.

If you can get a Pontiac Vibe for less than a 3, I'd say go for it. A vibe is a better looking car than a Matrix by far. I actually considered getting one, but I ended up leasing, and it was cheaper for me to lease a Corolla that cost more than a Vibe, because the residual value on a Vibe is sucky.

Either one you chose, I'm sure you'll be happy with it. They are both reliable, new cars. Not having to worry about paying for repairs is a great thing.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard