Originally posted by red99sesport:
Originally posted by Tony2005:
Any vehicle bought new and maintained well will give many years of good pleasurable trouble-free driving.

That's generally the case. However, there are exceptions.

And sometimes the exceptions are powered by Zetecs. It may be a nice engine design, but when the factory cuts corners on finishing the head gasket mating surfaces...

I test-drove a bunch of small cars, and the Mazda 3 kicks so much buttawk compared to everything else that it's no contest. The only other car in the running, if I decide to opt for sensible instead of sportular, is the Toyota Matrix wagonette. My only big reason for shying away from the 3 was because it's a Ford engine, but the salesman assures me that even if it looks just like a duratec 4 from a Focus or Escape, it's not, since it's manufactured in Hiroshima. But then, you have to check up on everything these guys say.

According to one review of the 3, "Mazda developed the engines and transmissions, Volvo did the chassis and safety, and Ford did the suspension design." That sounds cool.

. . . Two zetec Contours, two blown head gaskets... for some reason I have a Japanese car now. anybody in California want a Diehard Gold 100 month battery? inquire by PM.