I just found the specs

Heres what they're offering for the Windows laptop:

Gateway M675E Notebook
-17.1 WSXGA+ TFT Active Matrix Display
-Windows XP Professional
-Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.80GHz
-4X DVD+/-RRW/+/-RW/CD-RW Recorder
-ATI Radeon 9700 8X AGP with 128MB DDR Video Memory
-80GB 5400RPM ATA Hard Drive (doesn't list a brand)
-1GIG 400MHz DDR SDRAM
-Intel PRO 10/100/1000 GB VE Network Connection and 802.11g Wireless Networking
-3-Year Limited Warranty
-Collins College personalized backpack and engraved laptop (woohoo! )

Price: $2900

Dell Inspiron 9300
- 17" UXGA Wide-Screen
- WinXP Pro
- Intel M 2.0Ghz (don't think Dell uses P4s)
- 8x CD/DVD Burner
- nVidia GeForce GO 6800 256MB
- 80GB HD
- 1GB 533MHz DDR RAM
- Intel Pro Wireless a/b/g with Bluetooth integration
- Free Printer

$1857.05. S&H of $19.

Configure your Inspiron 9300 system how you want and then use coupon code CSFNLP484P73S6 at the checkout. No telling how long it'll last but that's $999.95 off Dell's normal price plus $30 off the shipping PLUS a free printer.

Who's the man.

2003 Mazda6s 3.0L MTX Webpage
2004 Mazda3s 2.3L ATX
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
i have a amd 64bit proc and it has the radeon 9700 hungury on battery but nothing really has boged it down as far as gaming goes

the more you spend on a top of the line rig now
the further you can go with out buying another one down the line

1996 zetec atx 19.3381 at 71.51 mph 1/4 mile click me for an interesting sitea wbsite you should check outjoined the 100k+ club 5/21/06
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
i like my toshiba satellite p25 s-609

koni kit - hpp rstb camber/plates - cf (yikes!) polyroll resistors - TCA's WR headers/ypipe -TB hiflow cat SFC's - XCal2 -dreaming of 3L-
P
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
P
You could certainly get into an Alienware, I've never bought one but they always seem to have good reviews.

I'd pass on a dell, their reliability is pretty sad these days.

"Bros before Hoes" <-- More men need this mentality.
C
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by Pete D:
You could certainly get into an Alienware, I've never bought one but they always seem to have good reviews.

I'd pass on a dell, their reliability is pretty sad these days.

First off, he is looking for a CHEAPER laptop, so Alienware is out of the question. Second, so far I am extremely happy with my Dell. I am not a big Dell fan at all, but I got in on one of those $750 off laptops $1499 and higher deal so it was too good to pass up.

2001 Volvo S40-Perrin MBC@ 11psi, EST intake, 35% tint, still slow
B
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
B
Going along with Sigma (he nearly listed the specs of my laptop ), Dell offers the XPS2...

Even though it has childish looks (LEDs all over it), it boasts gigabit ethernet and the 256MB Nvidia 6800 Ultra, which apparantly has a huge advantage over the 6800go found in the 9300. The XPS2 comes standard with all the highest options off the 9300 like the WUXGA (1920x1200) "shiny" screen, 2.13(?)GHz P-M, wireless, bluetooth, etc.

Other than the gigabit and ultra card, the XPS2 and 9300 are virtually identical. Configured the same, they're only a few hundred dollars off (all of that probly in the ultra card).

Also there's talk of Dell replacing the 6800 ultra for the 7200 when Nvidia releases it. Both the 9300/XPS2 have the standard PCIe port so you can upgrade the video... But as far as people can tell, the ultra will not work in the 9300 w/o the XPS2 bios and the ultra heatsink out of the XPS2. So it's better to get the XPS2 from the get go.

Things you need to upgrade the go to the ultra: XPS2 bios, heatsink, PSU, battery, and 6800 ultra. Reason is the XPS2 bios won't boot w/o the 130W AC adaptor and 9-cell battery. The 9300 comes standard with the 90w AC adaptor and the 6-cell battery (9-cell is optional).

BTW, my laptop is this:
Dell Insiron 9300
1.6GHz P-M
Intel wireless (to complete the Centrino package)
Bluetooth
17" WGXA (1440x900) screen
80GB hd
512MB DDR2
256MB Nvidia 6800go PCIe graphics

I guess I should mention I paid $1247 shipped next day air. Got it off Dell outlet. Yeah, it's refurbished, but it was less than a month old when I got it. Still have a warranty on them.

Check out the 9300/XPS2 forum. Pretty busy over there, so lots of good info.

EDIT: not to mention what Tom's Hardware says about the XPS2:
Originally posted by Tom's Hardware Guide:

What is the most powerful notebook out there, period? Dell's Inspiron XPS Gen 2 notebook offers nothing less than superior 2D and 3D graphics performance compared to any other laptop we've seen to date.

Our tests confirm the claims we made in our preview article earlier this year - the Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2's performance is the best we've seen so far in the notebook space. Its horsepower can take on many high-end desktops as well.

It creams the Acer Ferrari 4000, for example. Granted the Acer is a thin and light with some good gaming speed, but the winner is clearly the Dell XPS Gen 2.

link

Last edited by Kane; 09/01/05 01:21 AM.

Goin' Round Traffic Circles @ 50Km/h!!! \m/ -- 1998 E0 SVT #2119 of 6535 \m/ -- 2003 Sentra SE-R Spec V
F
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
F
Ninja!

Seriously stay the fock away from any of these FOR PROFIT education establishments. Do some research and see how the Fed's have been cracking down on them. They are falsfying their grad rates, placement rates, and everythign else.

Get to a normal college and do the 4yr plan, most companies LAUGH at these programs offered by these type of schools and know their training is way below that of a 4yr institution.

Call some prospective companies you would like to work with, companies like Take Two, EA, Sega. Call and talk to their Recruting/hiring rep and ask them where they recruit their employees from.

Call a headhunter who specializes in gamin and find out if students from your school ever get placed.

Do your homework before you ever step foot in. These schools are notoriously bad and their used car-salesman like tactics to get you to sign while they get you student loans is ridiculous. These guys make commission, normal 4yr schools do not base their acceptance on your ability to pay!

Money doesn't always bring happiness. People with ten million dollars are no happier than people with nine million dollars ~ Hobart Brown
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
I would take his advice. I'm not kidding you, I haven't met you but I would actually talk face to face about it.

There's one thing you left out, though, FMR. I'm not saying anything you've said is not true (as it is certainly so with so many schools!) but it's also all about the student.

I have an awful feeling these schools recieve a bad rep because idiot students who didnt learn anything but were passed actually made it to good companies; and were fired. What about the smart students?

I try to see myself as an aspiring student who studies outside of class (which isn't hard, it's all creativity and fun!) and I think a good portfolio can save the interview.

As for your next choice of laptop, everyone's certainly got you covered Ninja! I will say though, the scenes I've built and rendered do not take long to render, do not lag, etc. I'm running an old Radeon 9000 64MB card.

I imagine the Athlon Barton 3000 and 512MB of ram more than assist it, though

Good luck finding your choice! (Go with Sigma's!!)

Last edited by Pre98; 09/01/05 01:15 AM.
T
TGO Offline
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
T
Originally posted by KyleH:
3 letters....IBM
This topic has also been discussed several times.

the best gaming laptops are alienware...take that how you like it.

1999 Silver Frost SVT #609 of 2760 Quaife, lightened SVT Flywheel, SPEC stage II clutch, removed resonator, k&n drop in - various other goodies too.
P
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
P
Originally posted by TGO:
Originally posted by KyleH:
3 letters....IBM
This topic has also been discussed several times.

the best gaming laptops are alienware...take that how you like it.

gaming and game design are entirely different beasts though.

~Andrew

2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 20 valves of fury
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard