1998 CONTOUR SE-2.5L CD4E A/T - My daughter�s Contour started shifting hard about two months ago. The hard shifts would occur after driving at 60-70 MPH for about 10 minutes and then getting off of the freeway and driving in the city. She said the shifts were so hard she thought the transmission was going to fall out of the car. Then about two weeks ago the transmission started holding first gear until she let up on the accelerator and then it would shift into second gear. Now it is also holding second until you let up on the accelerator. Sometimes the O/D light flashes until the ignition is switched off. Occasionally it will shift without letting up on the accelerator after driving at 60-70 MPH on the freeway. Even then the shift speed seems to be a bit high. I have an Autotap and am able to monitor some of the transmission functions. The shift solenoids seem to be operating properly and the car holds 1st gear even when the command gear is 2nd until I let up on the accelerator and let it shift into second. The transmission fluid temperature is running 210 degrees and the only DTC I get is P0732 (GEAR 2 INCORRECT RATIO). I assume the reason for that DTC is that the command gear is 2 and the transmission is holding 1st gear. The transmission fluid has been changed regularly and shown no signs of being burnt.

Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem may be? Would it be possible to repair the problem without pulling the transmission? THANKS!