Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
I thought i had this firgured out but i failed smog again. the first time i failed smog, i went home and found the PCV valve just hanging there it wasnt plugged into the large pipe directly under it. so i figured i had umetered air going into the engine, therefore causing the O2 sensors to throw more fuel in because too much air was being seen. OK so i fixed that plus i put a worm clamp arount it, to try to prevent it from happening again. I also replaced the following:

Both upper O2 sensors
spark plugs and wires
UIM/LIM cleaning and gaskets
fuel filter replaced

i inspected the tubing and did not find any cracks

what am i missing? can someone help me diagnose this before i buy precats and main cat?

by the way, I do have gutted precats but retained the main cat. heres a pic of the data from the smog test. Notice how my Hc levels kicked up on the 2nd test. and this causes the rest to come up.

~Crystian 2000 Se sport 2001 Lightning(Sorry!your mom cant come with us)
T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
Originally posted by GoldenTour:

what am i missing? can someone help me diagnose this before i buy precats and main cat?

by the way, I do have gutted precats but retained the main cat. heres a pic of the data from the smog test. Notice how my Hc levels kicked up on the 2nd test. and this causes the rest to come up.

It failed because of high hydrocarbons.

Was the catalytic converter all heated up and ready when you did the test? It might be good to get a Scanner to make sure it was ready before going for the test.

In addition, maybe having just the main cat isn't good enough for CA emmissions.

"Always do the cheap and easy ones first." 1996 V6 ATX 96K miles
G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
hi tony, it seems you're all over the place on the boards. I had just driven about 80 miles coming from san diego to LA so yeah it should have been hot enough.
No codes, i have just a cheap code reader and i havent seen a CEL in 1 yr, before i gutted the cats and put the MIL eliminator circuits.
From what i understand high HC's means unburned fuel, but whe i replaced the spark plugs, they came out normal( 1 week ago)
I have read that others here in cali PASS with just the main cat. so im just a little confused why i have unburned fuel.

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
From what i understand high HC's means unburned fuel, but whe i replaced the spark plugs, they came out normal( 1 week ago)

I have read that others here in cali PASS with just the main cat. so im just a little confused why i have unburned fuel.

1) Why did it not pass when the hydrocarbon levels came out normal (or within acceptable limits)?

2) Your main cat might be on its way out.

Edit. The scanner was to make sure that the car was in a OBD Ready mode before sending it for inspection. Not whether there was a CEL. The CE light should tell you that there was a code stored by the PCM.

Last edited by Tony2005; 08/23/05 05:29 PM.

G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
1. the hc's have been the problem from the start.

2. i forgot to mention that i replaced the main cat after the first failure. the shop put some magnaflow cat in there, maybe ill try fords, but im not sure cats play a role in HC's

T
Addicted CEG\'er
Addicted CEG\'er
T
but im not sure cats play a role in HC's

Yes, they do. Read this article.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter2.htm

G
CEG\'er
OP Offline
CEG\'er
G
So i guess i should buy the precats. any other ideas? i guess ill have some gutted cats and mils for sale real soon

Moderated by  horseydug_dup1, Ray_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard