Originally posted by Majisto:
Originally posted by Stazi:

pwn3d!

Honestly the though of people putting anything but Premium in an SVT makes me mad. Downright GAY!

Sorry but DON'T buy a performance car and then put cheap gas in it. Also I bet a lot of people who do this have power-mods like an exhaust, intake, etc. - which makes them oxymorons.

The Vulcan Taurus has pinged for over a year now and no ill effects. It has 111K miles and it still runs wonderful. I understand your point about pre-ignition, but I don't think this is as much as a problem as you make it out to be. You might laugh at someone saving some money but not everyone cares about being a boy racer all the time and a penny saved is a penny earned.

People can do what they want and sometimes they know more than you do. The engine is not going to blow up from using 87 octane unless the driver is a fool and never kept his engine clean from carbon buildup and the like.

Now that's just plain dumb to me.
Continuous pinging is still harmfull. Small amounts of it are negligible but for a YEAR? I think Stazi pointed out that your pistons will have pits in them and this is kind of what he was talking about. Your pistons probably look like a small scale lunar surface if you ping all the time for a year (all the time means everytime you accelerate, not cruise).

I stated that the few initial pings befoe the knock sensor pulls some timing wouldn't hurt anything, but that was a very narrow statement with the purpose of pointing out that a knock sensor will save the engine from the damaging knock because it detects the light pings that precede it.

BTW, that's a TAURUS you're referring too, not a high performance car by a long shot. THe SVT is much closer to the realm of performance though some debate that it really is a performance car.

Former owner of '99 CSVT - Silver #222/2760 356/334 wHP/TQ at 10psi on pump gas! See My Mods '05 Volvo S40 Turbo 5 AWD with 6spd, Passion Red '06 Mazda5 Touring, 5spd,MTX, Black