Print Thread
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
#1364511 11/16/05 07:21 PM
L
Webmaster
Webmaster
L
Mine never even breaks into the twenties anymore

Must be something about never driving it for more than 5 miles at a time!

-Lance

Lance Kinley CEG Webmaster 95 SE, "Cassandra" 10 years!
#1364512 11/16/05 09:41 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
I commute 55 miles/day three times a week for school. That's 55 miles total per day.

Each "cycle", each commute takes up one quarter tank.

Let's see... 14.5 gallons/4=3.625 gallons in one quarter tank.

It takes me a total of 3 minutes for the commute (time on road). Let's see. 3.625 gallons/0.5 hours=3.625x2=7.25 gallons per hour. I have flown airplanes with better mileage! A small plane (i.e. Cessna 172) uses approximately the same amount of gas, give or take, as a Ford Expedition. It sounds about right, considering that, on average, general aviation air distances are 15% shorter than road distances.

Let's go back. 55 miles/3.625 gallons=15.172413793103448275862068965517 miles/gallon.

Roughly 15 miles per gallon. And that's on the highway!

I really need to get a new car.

Is my car for sale? PM me if you're in South FL.
Originally posted by XKontour98:
Haha that's awesome! Go GM!

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
#1364513 11/16/05 09:50 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
So you are saying that your car burns 7.25 gallons an hour on your 55 mile commute? What are you doing keeping it in second gear?

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
#1364514 11/16/05 10:12 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
If it were second gear, I would be only getting 5 miles to the gallon.

I'm not surprised with the mileage of my car.

If I move further north, I would save money flying to school (my school is, thankfully, close to an airport). I would be building valuable flight time, though. Shave off some credits from college, too.

YES, SIR!!! General Aviation is Looking good right now...http://www.beapilot.com
#1364515 11/16/05 10:21 PM
K
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
K
Just seems like a lot of fuel to burn in one hour. Sounds like you need a good tune up you should be getting far better fuel economy than that. My SVT averages about 24 MPG that is probably on a 70/30 City/Highway split.

Kip 98 CSVT Black/Midnight Blue
#1364516 11/16/05 10:24 PM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Either way, a car that size should be getting WAAAAAAAAAYYYY better gas mileage.

#1364517 11/16/05 10:40 PM
A
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
A
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
I commute 55 miles/day three times a week for school. That's 55 miles total per day.

Each "cycle", each commute takes up one quarter tank.

Let's see... 14.5 gallons/4=3.625 gallons in one quarter tank.

It takes me a total of 3 minutes for the commute (time on road). Let's see. 3.625 gallons/0.5 hours=3.625x2=7.25 gallons per hour. I have flown airplanes with better mileage! A small plane (i.e. Cessna 172) uses approximately the same amount of gas, give or take, as a Ford Expedition. It sounds about right, considering that, on average, general aviation air distances are 15% shorter than road distances.

Let's go back. 55 miles/3.625 gallons=15.172413793103448275862068965517 miles/gallon.

Roughly 15 miles per gallon. And that's on the highway!

I really need to get a new car.

That's roughly what my moms mystique gets highway(I did a rough estimate of about 12-14 MPG).

I by no means beat on it really, usually shift around 4k getting onto the highway then 2-3k afterward.

I'm going to be doing plugs and UIM cleaning nextweek sometime.

#1364518 11/17/05 05:30 AM
?
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
?
I would compute your mileage by the more accurate method of filling up and then dividing your total miles driven by the amound of fuel you used since you last filled up.

The gauges on most cars do not move in direct proportion to the amount of fuel consumed. 1/4 tank on the fuel guage might mean 1 gallon at the low end of the guage.

I usually get 150 miles from the full mark before my needle hits the 3/4 mark. That would be 41 MPG and we know that's not true! After that I generally get about 75 miles per 1/4 tank and it gets less and less as I go toward empty.

'96 Mercury Mystique GS 2.5L Auto '99 Honda Passport EX 3.2 4WD
#1364519 11/17/05 03:23 PM
C
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
C
Originally posted by gilroynewball:
Either way, a car that size should be getting WAAAAAAAAAYYYY better gas mileage.

well you ever heard about maintenance....maybe you need a tune up or a fuel filter change or even a manifold cleaning?????

instead of whining about this contour you seem to hate so much(since about 90% of the posts i've seen you post on here have said this)you act like someone held a gun to your head and made you buy this contour you hate so much,i say if you hate it so much sell it and buy something else

new,new ride! '99 svt black/mnb '95 mustang gt sold! '98 svt #800 sold!
#1364520 11/18/05 05:30 AM
G
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
G
Quote:

well you ever heard about maintenance....maybe you need a tune up or a fuel filter change or even a manifold cleaning?????

instead of whining about this contour you seem to hate so much(since about 90% of the posts i've seen you post on here have said this)you act like someone held a gun to your head and made you buy this contour you hate so much,i say if you hate it so much sell it and buy something else

Heh, it does sound like that. I usually DO harp on either the problems with my car, or on the wonders of aviation.

Well, let's see. I'm a pilot. Pilots are not airplane mechanics, even though we check the aircraft systems thoroughly before every flight. Again, we are not airplane mechanics. We are NOT LICENSED to do such maintenance. If a screw comes off, well, yeah. We'll fix that. When the plane needs oil, we'll put that in. We'll even remove the oil, remove the oil filter, cut the cap off, screen it, and check for metal particles! But, as for reassembling everything, it needs to be logged by a LICENSE AIRCRAFT MECHANIC.

When they say something is AEROSPACE GRADE, it means that something is so reliable that it can be used in aerospace. It is proven safe, and redundant to the point where you will experience carefree operation, between TBOs.

I am a pilot. I do the work of a pilot with everything I do. I'll even use my E6-B flight computer for fuel calculations IN MY CAR! That's how much an aviator I am.

When you're broke as hell, you can't do much, can you? It took me a week to pick up a new vss for the car.

Just remember it this way. I'm ending this possible argument on a possibly light note.

"Pilots are people with a special air about them". To some, such as yourself, you may find us odd, quirky, or sometimes, just plain out annoying. So I use an aviation scanner instead of my car radio sometimes. So what? I am merely bringing out possible problems that some other drivers may come to have in the future.

Another cliche in aviation is "Never make the same mistake more than once. If you have to make a mistake, make it a new one." People learn from others. Pilots learn from other pilots' mistakes. That's why NTSB finding on air crashes are distributed freely and easily for all pilots to research. For what? TO BETTER THEIR FLYING!

Yes, I know that flying a plane is a world away from owning a defective car with readily available resources to make it fit the owner like a glove. But, a world is a world after all. At least there's one commonality.

It may sound to you as an utter refusal to actually get my hands dirty with the car. I'm not saying that.

ALL I AM SAYING is that I will only do things that are within my scope of ability. Remember. I traded auto shop for flight training in high school. I am going to college to become a professional pilot. NOT to turn wrenches as a grease monkey. (My dad retired from being an auto mechanic for the same reason). I am more than wiling to keep my car as fit as an airplane. BUT ONLY AS LONG AS I HAVE THE ABILITY TO DO SO.

Besides. You're going off topic. I get 15 miles to the gallon ON AVERAGE. That an AVERAGE between street driving and highway driving. And no, I don't punch the throttle. I keep my accelerations AT OR BELOW 2500 rpm.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  GTO Pete, Trapps_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard