Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by NVS SVT:
Chris you took the cars out , must have felt good, BTW how do you not get speeding tickets in those cars? I would figure after not driving them so much you would be flying .

I think I will have to change my driving habits, I used a 1/4 tank of gas going from one side of Burlington to the other

Friday night I paid a $1.13 per litre for 91 octane

Aaron

Aaron, I'm just plain lucky, cause I sure wasn't taking it easy on either ride. Found out one thing about my rides, the SRT-4 is taking over the number one spot from the SVT, and this is even before the big power mod gets installed.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
Originally posted by SnafuFlux:
also I think my next car is going to be a smart car, or some sort of hybrid. I'm sick of this, I'm paying so much for a luxury.

I'll never buy a Hybrid, I would lease one, but never buy.
The repair cost would be astronomical when the warranty runs out!
As for a lease, unless I can right it off, I'll never get one.

I would be scared s***less taking a smart car on the highway.

If I can buy a used car for $10,000 and a hybrid is $20,000-$30,000.
It would take me 7 years to buy $10,000 worth of fuel.
Gas savings????? and the car has depriciated by 30-50% as soon as I drive it off the lot.

How long it will take to buy $10,000 of fuel.
.70lt = 7.1 years
.80lt = 6.2 years
.90lt = 5.5 years
.95lt = 5.2 years
(based on a fill up of 42 Liters and 1 fill up/week)

I don't fill up every week, so that's why it would take me 7 years @.95/Lt.

If you drive tons then it makes sense, but if your like me I see no point yet.

1996 2.5LT V6 Contour ATX My Tour+help/info pics E0 rims, Gutted Pre-Cats,CTA Custom Exhaust & Intake, Diablo Chip.
I
New CEG\'er
New CEG\'er
I
Completly agree. That's why my commuter car is a 2000 VW Jetta TDI. I get 1150km on a tank (60L)of diesel. That's with 90%highway driving around 130km/h.

Just as a comparison, the SMART car gets 500km on $22. I get 1150km on $50. By comparing this, the SMART is not more fuel efficient than the VW TDI. With the VW, you get alot more room and luxury. There is way too much hype about the SMART at the moment. Way more than what it really is.

The SMART tops out at 130km/h. I got ~182km/h out of mine 2 weeks ago. Had the Jetta for a year and drove almost
50 000km into it with no real issues. She's around 243000km at the moment. It's fully loaded including leather. Paid $11000 for it last August.

If you wnat to buy a diesel, wait till next January. The ban to add Sulphur in dielsel will be in effect. I bet, alot of the manufacturers will start bringing there diesel models over.

'98 Contour 2.5L, 5-Speed, 100% stock '85 Porsche 928 5-speed, Supercharged & Intercooled 12.87sec @ 109mph
G
Hard-core CEG\'er
OP Offline
Hard-core CEG\'er
G
For long-distance commuters like myself, I don't see the "use" of a hybrid. For the days I cruise right on in, I'm already at the most ideal conditions (constant highway speed and no real sudden acceleration). I don't think I'm saving "that" much by switching right now.

Plus, the Focus and other newer vehicles are already low, ultra-low, or zero-emission vehicles. In essence, they have kinda flogged a dead horse on this matter of emissions.

The cost savings...well, I think I could have spent $10K in gas already in the past few years. But as it's implied, you have other things that factor in like increased wear & tear on the car, and increased depreciation of the vehicle. The "normal" person probably still would look at the $10K difference as...a $10K difference. And especially if someone leased the car, they probably wouldn't even see any recovery of costs.

Just did a search:

Hidden Costs of Hybrids (Globe & Mail)

Richard | Focused 24-7 2002 Focus ZTS...+275,000km and beyond! Ontario Focus Owners Club | SVTOA-Toronto | SVTOA Redline Rendezvous
L
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
L
wow someone actually got under 90 cents a litre? Up my way (grey-bruce, wellington) its hit 98.5. I was in brantford last weekend and it was 90.3. Always seems a few cents cheaper in brantford, dunno why. I also swear the Pioneer stations around here take turns being the high and low pumps. As for you guys filling up with 91! holy, ill stick with the 87!

95 Merc Stique Zetec 2.0 Auto
B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
Went to the Falls this weekend. I saw places that had makeshift signs for the prices in the GTA. It was pretty insane. When we got to the Falls, there was a full serve pump that had 95.6 so I filled up before I left.
There is a gas station on North Service Rd in Mississauga (west of Cawthra), Pioneer I think, full serve...cheaper than self serve everytime I have seen so far. Filled up at 90.2/L while self serve was at 94.1

1999 Contour SE 2.5 Duratec Stock, can't wait to do some mods!
T
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
T
I paid 79.9 in Oshweeken on Saturday.

Worth the drive i tell ya.

96 LX 3.0L MTX - Black/Tan K&N; 12lb F/W & uprated clutch 2.5" Pipe; SVT bits; Mystery Mod; Pull-tie Mod; UN-tuned Mod; 3rd Gear Synro-Crunch Mod 280K on the Shell, and 40ish on the Motor... 1/4 mile?? Yeah, it's a fun daily driver...
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
$1.021 for regular at the Petro Canada today, near my place.

B
CEG\'er
CEG\'er
B
One solution...girlfriend's dad bought a new VW Passatt TDi last week. Gets more than 1000km on one tank (highway driving). Diesel is cheaper than gasoline too.

Looking forward to more diesel engined cars in 2 years...just waiting for the new diesel fuel and better emmission burning technologies. Soon enough we'll be able to drive the likes of Europeans. Would love to see something like a BMW 535td in North America. The car is run by a bi-turbo diesel engine that can launch the car to 0-100kms in 6 seconds flat.

1998 Ford Contour GL Sport 2.5 V6 MTX in Black @ 322ks BMW 335i = Lexus IS350 in your rearview mirror
S
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
S
I woudln't mind having one of those diesel engines that run on used veggie oil! mmmm fries

97 T-Red LX ATX pre98 CF SVT front,SVT rear/side skirts FSVT wheels Custom Front Ford Logo (body Colour) 35% tint all around with sun visor WP With Metal Impeller? Elky Grills CTA Intake CTA Custom Dual Exhaust
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Gerald_dup1, mbb41_dup1 

Link Copied to Clipboard