Print Thread
Page 31 of 34 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34
O
OB1 Offline
Veteran CEG\'er
Veteran CEG\'er
O
Originally posted by todras:

I don't "mod" I just fix what breaks! 98 CSVT #2527 T-Red (Limping) 98 CSVT #2228 T-Red (Donor) 98 SE Sport ATX V6 (Running again) If swimming is good for your figure, explain whales to me!
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
Originally posted by Corbett:
You don't understand what context has to do with these passages? My point was that you are taking the phrase to fit what you want it to say, without factoring in what context they are in and how it proves my point about each verse.

Not sure what you're going on about here. As far as "taking the phrase to fit what (I) want it to say," aren't you the one who posted the quotes? I just responded to them, and then you claimed my responses are incorrect. If every one of them is incorrect because of "context," it should be easy to explain why.

E0 #36 '95 Ranger '82 Honda CX500
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
It's pretty simple. Though I posted each passage, each one was in its context, which is why it supports what I think about the Koran. However, for you to take the same passages and make an interpretation without knowing or considering the context from which they were taken (ie, war against the infadel) is breaking the first rule of study in any religion. Therefore, if you have not considered its context, which I have thus posting these passages, you can't correctly interpret them.

- Tim
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Therefore, if you have not considered its context, which I have thus posting these passages, you can't correctly interpret them.

Ok, you keep saying context.

What you mean is entirety.

If you were posting in context, you would have posted several verses before and after, GIVING it context.

Techincally, by only posting the passages, you have done the exact opposite- posted them completely and totally OUT of context.

1998 SVT Contour Silver Frost for sale in Classifieds.
C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
No I am talking about context. The only reason to post their context would be if I were taking them out of context. So if I am that would be up to you guys. Nice try though.

- Tim
V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
No I am talking about context. The only reason to post their context would be if I were taking them out of context. So if I am that would be up to you guys. Nice try though.

I'd say it's up to you. You're the expert who is attempting to educate us by posting quotes from the Koran. You were quick to tell me why all my comments were wrong based on context, so it should be very easy for you to briefly explain why. You've essentially presented only part of your case at this point. It's not my job to finish your case for you.

C
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
C
I never claimed to be an expert and its not my job to spood feed you everything either. It's people like you who only read the specific verse and make an interpretation without considering its context that try to make passages say things which they do not. Which is why the person making the interpretation neeeds to consider the context, which you did not, therefore, your interpretation has zero merit.

- Tim
B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B

You ARE taking them out of context. ANY time you quote something without the preceding and following text, you are taking them out of context. We have no means by which to judge the full meaning of those quotes without seeing what was in front of or after them. Do you not get that?

Give us the full paragraph worth of text you're pulling those quotes from, and THEN we'll have the context in which they were stated.

V
Hard-core CEG\'er
Hard-core CEG\'er
V
I never claimed to be an expert and its not my job to spood feed you everything either. It's people like you who only read the specific verse and make an interpretation without considering its context that try to make passages say things which they do not. Which is why the person making the interpretation neeeds to consider the context, which you did not, therefore, your interpretation has zero merit.

We'll keep going around in circles until you decide to finish making your case, so I'm out.

B
Hard-core CEG'er
Hard-core CEG'er
B
Torment to Non-believers:
4.56: (As for) those who disbelieve in Our communications, We shall make them enter fire; so oft as their skins are thoroughly burned, We will change them for other skins, that they may taste the chastisement; surely Allah is Mighty, Wise.

48.16 : Say to those of the dwellers of the desert who were left behind: You shall soon be invited (to fight) against a people possessing mighty prowess; you will fight against them until they submit; then if you obey, Allah will grant you a good reward; and if you turn back as you turned back before, He will punish you with a painful punishment.

Where is your context here? What was the quote for 4.55 and 4.54. What about 4.57?

Same thing with 48.16... where's .15 or .17? THIS IS OUT OF CONTEXT.

I can grab quotes from all over the Bible and if they are out of context, will sound like we should kill a bunch of people, too.

Page 31 of 34 1 2 29 30 31 32 33 34

Link Copied to Clipboard